JBL Cinema SB 400 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
James, how long have you had yours? I ask because I've had mine for a week now, and it sounds awesome, but I'm worried it might start "popping"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM

after owning the JBL SB400 for almost two weeks, the soundbar started poping this morning. I exchanged it for a Harman Kardon SB26. Hopefully the Harman Kardon doesn't have any issues like the JBL.
post #123 of 150 Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm really confused by a similar problem.

I'm using optical out of my Bravia to the SB400. On initial hookup, I was getting loud pops and occasional feedback hum from the SB400, and was worried that something was going to die. So I turned it off and re-enabled the Bravia speakers to check them. They were fine, so I turned on the SB400 with the TV speakers still enabled - it STILL worked fine. Just to double-check, I turned the TV back to external speakers only, and the popping came back. Turned internal back on, and it's completely stopped.

Odd thing is that I tried the same test with both my old receiver and a Sony soundbar, and neither exhibited this issue...
post #124 of 150 Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 AM

Liked: 10
I'm connecting my blueray player to SB400 by HDMI and from the SB400 to my TV also via HDMI.

My question is does SB400 support audio bypass? I would like to know if SB400 allows hdmi control as well.

My current Marantz AVR hook up the same way. With all devices on standby. Using the blueray control the TV will power up and switch to blueray input. Press play and sound comes out of the TV speakers.
When I power up the AVR, sound is disabled on the TV and sound comes out from the AVR. Volume can be controlled using both the TV or the AVR control. I think is anyNET?
Will sb400 behave like my AVR?
Thanks.
post #125 of 150 Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sb 400

Have been using mine for better than 2 months now. I downsized from a decent 5.1 system in my family room. Wife approved. Is it as good as the 5.1? With action movies - no, musically and sonic preference, overall my ears like it better. I stream music through various apps via BT. The highs are high, the lows are low, the mids are decent as well. Dialog can get lost a bit in a fast paced action movie...that said I find hard discs like BR or standard are less likely to loose the dialogue portion. Saw Battleship last night off my DVR via FX network - the dialogue got lost in the shuffle a bit...but is that why you would watch a movie like that. 3 HDMI in and 1 out, optical and BT. For the price you cannot beat it. Oh yeah, did I mention the sub? Deep, rumbly and yet still smooth. I do miss the surround of a 5.1 but not the set up and excess baggage. Give a shout if you have questions.

Nick
post #126 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had mine for about a month now and the sound dropouts and popping have started. I wish I had seen this thread before - I would have probably gotten something else. I specifically picked it for wireless sub and 3 HDMI connections. Most of my viewing is streaming and it doesn't support dolby digital plus so I'm only getting stereo anyway, should I just run the HDMI to the TV and do optical out? This should solve the popping and sound dropouts correct?
post #127 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidget View Post
I've had mine for about a month now and the sound dropouts and popping have started. I wish I had seen this thread before - I would have probably gotten something else. I specifically picked it for wireless sub and 3 HDMI connections. Most of my viewing is streaming and it doesn't support dolby digital plus so I'm only getting stereo anyway, should I just run the HDMI to the TV and do optical out? This should solve the popping and sound dropouts correct?
yup try optical from the TV to the soundbar instead. I had the SB400, it has excellent audio quality, but the popping and dropouts for PCM audio made me return it. I got the Harman Kardon SB 26 to replace it, the Harman Kardon has been perfect.
post #128 of 150 Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-se View Post
Quote:
yup try optical from the TV to the soundbar instead. I had the SB400, it has excellent audio quality, but the popping and dropouts for PCM audio made me return it. I got the Harman Kardon SB 26 to replace it, the Harman Kardon has been perfect.
Does the SB 26 support DD+?
post #129 of 150 Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Does the SB 26 support DD+?
it does Dolby Digital, and can do 7.1 PCM

I use my PS4 for blu-ray, so any Dolby Digital HD, or DTS-MA gets processed by the PS4, which will send the 7.1ch PCM audio to the soundbar. The SB 26 plays it back no issue. As for Dolby Digital+ it should be backward compatible with Dolby Digital, if so then the SB26 will play it.
post #130 of 150 Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM

I have a ps3 for blu ray and games but all streaming is on the firetv. For sound over hdmi my only choices are DD+ and stereo. The firetv does not downgrade so the soundbar would have to do it. The SB400 does not so I get no sound when DD+ is selected. Trying to avoid that situation again if I replace.
post #131 of 150 Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Difficulty with TV apps through soundbar

Hello,
I just set up my new SB400 with Dish running into an HDMI port and the HDMI Arc connectded to the Arc port of my Panasonic VT. I also have the optical ports connected.

I can get the soundbar to work with my satellite and sometimes when i GoogleCast. But when i open the YouTube app on my smart TV, the soundbar can't find it. Usually the screen goes dark and none of the inputs on the soundbar can find the signal so each screen is black with a no signal message.
THere are some times where i switch from Satellite to GoogleCast where i have to shut the soundbar off and turn it on so it resets - as switching the input doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to get audio from one of my TV apps through the Soundbar?
post #132 of 150 Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyweinstein View Post
Hello,
I just set up my new SB400 with Dish running into an HDMI port and the HDMI Arc connectded to the Arc port of my Panasonic VT. I also have the optical ports connected.

I can get the soundbar to work with my satellite and sometimes when i GoogleCast. But when i open the YouTube app on my smart TV, the soundbar can't find it. Usually the screen goes dark and none of the inputs on the soundbar can find the signal so each screen is black with a no signal message.
THere are some times where i switch from Satellite to GoogleCast where i have to shut the soundbar off and turn it on so it resets - as switching the input doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to get audio from one of my TV apps through the Soundbar?
That is strange. Is your Soundbar connected to your TV through an optical port? It should work then.
post #133 of 150 Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Yes it is - i added that in last night. It still is acting strange.
post #134 of 150 Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 AM

guys

i am torn between jbl sb400 and hk sb26.

i have heard the sound of sb400 and its amazing and the bass is superb.

hows hk sb26?

cheers
post #135 of 150 Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM

I just purchased the HK HB26 and am loving it. It replaced my older Sony HT-CT350 which was a wired soundbar and subwoofer. The clarity and the bass sound is incredible. I literally can finally hear the voices even on low volume. I was an 80's teenager who grew up listening to Old School Miami Bass music which is Hip hop with really deep base. With the SB26 and its 10" sub it can really hit the very low bass and rattle the house. I have the soundbar hooked up to my 72" Visio smart TV which sits in my Family/Kitchen room which is about 20'x20' and it is perfect for that size of room. Before I purchased it I compared it to the JBL SB400 side by side using my Cell phone music and although they were both very loud and impressive I felt the SB26 was a touch better in my opinion. I think what finalized my decision was the 10" subwoofer which could hit the deeper bass sounds that I didnt get from my HT-CT350 and its 6.5" sub. Hopefully this will last me a long time with no issues but for now it is exactly what I was looking for.
post #136 of 150 Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joystix2 View Post
I just purchased the HK HB26 and am loving it. It replaced my older Sony HT-CT350 which was a wired soundbar and subwoofer. The clarity and the bass sound is incredible. I literally can finally hear the voices even on low volume. I was an 80's teenager who grew up listening to Old School Miami Bass music which is Hip hop with really deep base. With the SB26 and its 10" sub it can really hit the very low bass and rattle the house. I have the soundbar hooked up to my 72" Visio smart TV which sits in my Family/Kitchen room which is about 20'x20' and it is perfect for that size of room. Before I purchased it I compared it to the JBL SB400 side by side using my Cell phone music and although they were both very loud and impressive I felt the SB26 was a touch better in my opinion. I think what finalized my decision was the 10" subwoofer which could hit the deeper bass sounds that I didnt get from my HT-CT350 and its 6.5" sub. Hopefully this will last me a long time with no issues but for now it is exactly what I was looking for.
I also have a SB 26, I had the SB400 but it started to "pop" to I replaced it with the SB 26. I highly recommend the SB 26, it sounds AMAZING.
post #137 of 150 Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 PM

Okay, so, we just purchased the SB400 and I am having issues understanding this thing. We made all the connections as in the instructions but we have a unique situation; we currently do not have cable TV or any internet connection. We are using an antenna (old skool! ) and like to watch blu-ray/dvd's. I have an HDMI cable connected from the soundbar HMDI ARC TV Out to HDMI 1 on a Sony Bravia TV. The other HDMI cable is connected from my Sony blu-ray player to the HDMI 1 of the soundbar. This is where everything goes blah....nothing from the blu-ray player is coming through to the TV or soundbar.

If I am just watching TV we are good, I just cannot seem to get the blu-ray player / soundbar to cooperate with each other. Help?

Thanks!!
post #138 of 150 Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Connect your bluray player to the HDMI input of the soundbar instead of to the TV.
post #139 of 150 Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4004 View Post
guys

i am torn between jbl sb400 and hk sb26.

i have heard the sound of sb400 and its amazing and the bass is superb.

hows hk sb26?

cheers
I also have the HK SB26. I have been using it for a few months now, and I am reasonably happy with it. It sounds pretty good for both videos and music. The one thing that I do not like about it is that you don't have any tone controls other than bass level.

When I first purchased it, it had firmware version MCU 21. Then I saw a post by gp-se with a link for a new firmware version. The new firmware, MCU 25, made a big difference. It improved the sound and corrected a problem with the volume level getting too loud too quickly at low volume levels.

If you do get the SB26, make sure it has the latest firmware. For some reason, I could only find the firmware update on the Canada or UK web sites. I could not find it on the US site.
post #140 of 150 Old 04-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I heard the SB400 today at my local BB this bar is incredible, I'm thinking about going back and purchasing it for my bedroom.
post #141 of 150 Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Popping Sounds - only HDMI?

I listened to the JBL SB400 at Fry's Electronics today and it sounds great. However, I am worried about the popping sounds. Is this something that only happens through HDMI, so if I simply don't use HDMI but feed the sound only through bluetooth for music and optical for movies and streaming Amazon Prime & Netflix then I won't have any issues? Also, does anyone have a sense of how prevalent the problem is, in other words, does it show up on almost all of them, or just an unlucky rare few? I wonder if JBL has addressed and fixed the issue on new units. I know...lots of questions, I appreciate in advance your help. Thanks!
post #142 of 150 Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 AM

Talking JBL SB400 still delivering

Hi,

I'm still plenty happy with the SB400. For me it was the perfect answer without disparate speakers and wiring.

I often view one of my favorite films from my Vudu library such as U571 and am reminded of the quality sub or listen to some music from my Itunes library and am very pleased.

I continue to be very happy with the purchase.

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	713746  
post #143 of 150 Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Thank you for the reply ksmedia. Are you hooking yours up through HDMI and if yes, I am assuming you do not have the popping problem others have talked about (or do you go through optical or coaxial for sound)?
post #144 of 150 Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Hdmi

I use the system as my hub.

ARC between Panasonic ST50 and the JBL.

HDMI 1 = DTV
HDMI 2 = Roku2
HDMI 3 = Blu Ray

Works very well.
post #145 of 150 Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedia View Post
I use the system as my hub.

ARC between Panasonic ST50 and the JBL.

HDMI 1 = DTV
HDMI 2 = Roku2
HDMI 3 = Blu Ray

Works very well.
Cool, so no popping sounds for you?
post #146 of 150 Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 PM

JBL SB400 flickering

Hello I am new here..

I have a problem. I have had my sb400 for a year now with no problems till the other day. Lightning hit behind my house and killed the power. When the power came back on I couldn't get my sound bar to work with the cable box. My xbox 1 and blue ray works fine if I don't plug in my cable box. Today I got a new Comcast cable box. It is still flickering. I have tried 3 different hdmi cables. Still the same result. Anyone have a clue on what is going on? Thanks.
post #147 of 150 Old 07-18-2015, 05:25 PM

Hello! Hoping someone can help me out. My JBL sb400 has been working great up until this past week. It'll turn on, but the LED source light on whichever source it is on will go out and nothing will happen. I've tried different sources. Sound is just not happening. Has anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it??? Please and thank you!
post #148 of 150 Old 08-07-2015, 01:59 AM

JBL400 Pairing Problems

I am having problems with my soundbar/subwoofer pairing.

I can get them to pair (both blue lights stable) but the sound from the subwoofer keeps dropping.

I have been trying to pair the 2 units for about 2 weeks now but always experience the same problem.

Sometimes the sound coming from the woofer will last for 5 seconds before it drops.

Once it lasted for about an hour but always dissapears eventually. Even though both blue lights are still on and stable.

I have moved the subwoofer around the room but get the same results.

So my question is:

Is there a peoblem with the soundbar?

Is there a problem with the woofer?

Or does this wifi technology just not work.

Is there a way I can pair the woofer to the soundbar via a cable and bypass the wifi?
post #149 of 150 Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Call JBL Support:
Customer Service
(800) 336-4525
M-F 8:00am - 8:30pm ET
Sat 8:00am - 5:30pm ET
Closed Sundays

post #150 of 150 Old Today, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanton View Post
I listened to the JBL SB400 at Fry's Electronics today and it sounds great. However, I am worried about the popping sounds. Is this something that only happens through HDMI, so if I simply don't use HDMI but feed the sound only through bluetooth for music and optical for movies and streaming Amazon Prime & Netflix then I won't have any issues? Also, does anyone have a sense of how prevalent the problem is, in other words, does it show up on almost all of them, or just an unlucky rare few? I wonder if JBL has addressed and fixed the issue on new units. I know...lots of questions, I appreciate in advance your help. Thanks!
I just purchased one of these and have my set up with an Optical Cable and I still have popping. They aren't big, more or less just annoying little ones. I am also experiencing Audio sync issues. I have a 2011 Samsung 51" 6500 Plasma. I wonder if upgrading my TV to ARC will help? Was looking at getting a 4k, but i just cant justify the cost as 4k is still not available and will not be for quite some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Jbl Cinema Sb 400 Plug N Play 2 X 60 Watt Soundbar System , Harman Kardon Sb 30 5 1 Soundbar And Wireless Subwoofer