LG TV monitor and Tibo soundbar issue. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just bought a brand new LGM2232DPZ Full HD 22" LED TV Monitor & a TIBOPP-100 Power Plinth Soundbar. I was hoping to hook them up together as the speakers on the LG are pretty bad. I am using mt TV and soundbar solely for my Xbox 360. I own a HDMI cable, video composite cable & audio adapter all for the xbox 360.

My issue is, when I connect the Tibo soundbar to my LG TV via the headphone jack, (it says "RGB/DVI Audio Input" on the back of the TV) the sound stills plays through my TV and not the soundbar.

I have tested the soundbar with my android phone and it works so it can't be the soudnbar.

Also, I've tested normal headphones on my LG TV and it doesn't play sound through the headphones either and now the soundbar doesn't play sound either. I have tested the sound by having the HDMI conncted at one time, and also having the 3 red/blue/green video composite cables connected at another time and leaving the audio cables out but it either sound plays on the soundbar or doesn't play at all.

I'm wondering whether the headphone jack on m TV is simply broken, or whether the soundbar doesn't support my TV?

Please help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I couldn't find a manual for your TV, but I did find specs listed on Amazon. You should have two audio outputs: headphone and optical. So let's back up here a moment.
Quote:
My issue is, when I connect the Tibo soundbar to my LG TV via the headphone jack, (it says "RGB/DVI Audio Input" on the back of the TV) the sound stills plays through my TV and not the soundbar.
If you're using a jack on the TV that says INPUT that doesn't sound like the headphone OUTPUT jack. Which would surely explain why you aren't getting audio out. eek.gif

I don't know what sort of inputs the soundbar has, but I think you need to look at your owner's manuals for both TV and soundbar to see how they should connect.

BTW, red/blue/green video cables are component, not composite.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Right ok, well here's a link to the soundbar I bought it. It has 2 headphone jacks just like the one on the back of my TV, which is the only audio connection on my TV and it says RGB/DVI beside it which I don't know what it means.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tibo-pp-100-power-plinth-soundbar-17291995-pdt.html

I thought that my TV monitor and the soundbar would be a perfect match but not sure what has happened and why it isn't working. I bought both of them from the same store too.

Also the fact that anything I try to connect into the Tv's audio it just keeps on playiing through the speakers..

By the way, I just tried the the soundbar with my old LCD TV while having the video component cables connected with the single red audiocable and it works there when connecting to the headphone jack on that old TV.

I just need to know if I'm doing wrong or there really is a problem with my TV audio.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said earlier, the spec sheet for your TV lists two audio outputs. I found a product manual for a different model LG that seems quite similar to yours and I imagine the jack panel is the same. Just to the right of the two HDMI connectors you should see three jacks. From left to right they are "optical out", "rgb/dvi in", and 'headphone out" (it has an icon of a headphone just above the 3.5mm jack). So unless the product spec sheet is wrong, your TV should look like that. All you need to connect the TV and soundbar is a 3.5mm cable.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I may have to eat my words because I just found another spec sheet from Currys that is completely different than the one from Amazon. The one at Curry's site doesn't list any audio output at all and lists only one HDMI input, not two. So if you don't have audio output on your model, there is no way to connect that soundbar.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I took some pictures to help you understand better of how my TV looks like exactly, as you can see it is a little different to the description. Mine only has 1 HDMI and 1 Audio jack on the side.

Back of the TV

The side of the TV with the audio output or input? I'm confused here..

The soundbar

The cable that came with the soundbar

post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the pics. Bad news though because you apparently don't have ANY audio output on that TV. The RGB/DVI that you've been trying to connect to is an INPUT. You have no way to connect the soundbar or headphones to that TV. If you are still within a return period for the TV, you might consider an upgrade to one that does offer a headphone out jack.

Sorry for the earlier confusion when I was looking at a bad spec sheet. mad.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ah ok well thanks for the help. Would the TV linked below be the right one to connect audio equipment with?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/logik-l22fe12-full-hd-22-led-tv-12120962-pdt.html#longDesc
post #9 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

If the specs as listed are correct, it does say it has a headphone socket so that would let you connect to the soundbar or headphones.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you, I'm going to go into Currys tomorrow and explain the whole audio confusion. Hopefully they will give me the exchange as it's only been 2 days since I bought the the TV.

Thanks again for your help.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page