Yamaha ATS-1010 and the Yamaha RX V371 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last year I purchased a Yamaha Surround RX-V371 Reciever; this is a Reciever that can play all the new formats, including Digital Dolby PLUS (Netflix streams 5.1 sound in this format.) All in all, I'm very pleased with this reciever.

All I truly needed was the addition of a powered sub-woofer to complete my 5.1 system. Soo, I asked for a powered sub-woofer for Christmas..

Bless their hearts, my wife and daughter thought they were really giveing me a greater gift than a powered sub-woofer. They gave me a Yamaha Front Surround ATS-1010 Soundbar.

Now..my Yamaha RX-V371 reciever is a 500 watt reciever. I have JBL book shelf speakers, including surround rear speakers that are rated for 100 watts per speaker.

The Yamaha ATS-1010 SoundBar has TWO front 30 watt speakers and a small 60 watt sub-woofer in the soundbar.This soundbar is a reciever in itself, claiming to provide a full 7.1 surround sound experience through their amazing "Yamaha's Excusive Air Surround Extreme" technology. Hmmmm. yeah, right.
I honestly think that the Yamaha SoundBar is NOT as good as, nor offers the functionality of my Yamaha RX-V371.

I truly didn't wish to disappoint my wife and daughter. We tried to plug the Optical Sound cord into the Optical Sound port in the back of my Yamaha RX-V371..then plugged in the new Soundbar, then tried to play audio through the soundbar.While there was audio through the Book shelf speakers, there was NO audio at all through the Sound Bar.

I've looked all through the manual for my Yamaha Reciever.. that optical Port in the back of the reciever SHOULD have worked.. it appears in the manual as an OPTICAL OUTPUT port. BUT, it didn't work at all. I MUST be doing SOMETHING wrong.BUT I can't figure what it might be.
I have EVERYTHING (blu ray, WD TV Live Media Player, the cable box) hooked up via HDMI cable to the Yamaha RX-V371 Reciever, from there, via a single HDMI to the Samsung A630 HDTV set.

The manual for the Samsung HDTV set does not indicate that the Optical Output only outputs 2.00 channels, OR 5.1 sound.

I would like to be able to use this Soundbar to please my wife.. she wanted me to have the soundbar, because THEN we wouldn't have to deal with messy speaker wire all over the living room. BUT I've no wish to give up using my Yamaha RX-V371 either.

My question is, then; how do I hook up this Soundbar to the Reciever? OR is it even possible ? Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
It may be time to sit wife & daughter down and gently explain that powered soundbars and AVRs are not meant to be used together. One or the other, not both.

I tried to download the manual for your AVR but Yamaha doesn't want me to do that without signing in. mad.gif However, based on the spec sheet on their web page, your AVR doesn't have optical audio out. The specs list two optical inputs and two coax inputs, no audio outputs except analog. And of course, the soundbar doesn't have analog input.

Depending on the settings available for your AVR, it might be possible to route audio to the TV and not to your speakers. Another way is if the AVR supports audio pass-through, audio gets sent to the TV when the AVR is turned off. Then you could try connecting an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar. You'll need to be dedicated to keeping peace in the family to go that route. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.. well,, it's too bad that they didn't ask me before they bought the soundbar. They really wanted me to use it..they think that will eliminate the nest of tangled wires in the back of the tv set.. BUT most of those "wires" are electrical cords.. Well.. my daughter said that, instead of taking the soundbar back..she'll use it in her room. I sort of doubt that I'll be getting my powered sub-woofer any time soon. My wife was not pleased that I would not help her (in her mind) to clean up all those wires. But that isn't the point. The soundbar simply won't work with the receiver. Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated. smile.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Maybe you can get a cheap, smallish sub like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW012-8-Inch-Front-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B000TQ4D8K/ref=pd_sim_e_10

That way, you can scratch your itch, your daughter is happy because she gets to use her gift, and you might be able to make your wife happy as well. There are lots of methods to clean up the wires. Tie wraps, mini conduits, etc. Just do a search for cable management or something like that.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help, Guys..in fact..that small Yamaha Sub woofer is precisely the unit that I wanted. Now..I have a question...I have the cable box, Blu ray player, WD media tv live media streamer plugged into the Yamaha reciever via HDMI cables.. the Yamaha reciever has an OUTPUT HDMI cable to send the signals to the HDMI input on the Samsung 630 HDTV set..Now..in the Samsung manual, it says that the Optical cable Output on the back of the tv set will ONLY output 2 channels. (most probably in PCM format..but I'm not sure about that..)

My question is, since all of the decoded surround signals (DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, ect.) are coming from the Yamaha reciever, to the HDMI input port on the tv set, even though the Optical cable output will only output 2 channels..will the Soundbar be able to pick up the decoded signals anyway, then output the surround sound that has already been decoded from the reciever ? OR will that Optical output simply downmix the signals into regular 2 channel PCM, then output THAT signal to the surround bar?

If the optical cable output in the back of the tv set simply downmixes the signals, then; of course, the surround bar would be of no use to me at all. I would still be at square one.

Thanks for your advice, guys.. it is MUCH appreciated.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Haven't given up on the soundbar yet, huh? biggrin.gif If I'm understanding your post, you want to try what I mentioned before that might work.

I dug deeper and found a copy of your AVR owners manual. On pg. 48 I found the following: (emphasis added)
Quote:
Changing the output destination of HDMI input audio signals.
Audio
Choose whether to playback audio from an external component such as a BD/DVD player connected via HDMI through this unit or through a TV.
TV
Outputs audio through a TV only. When this setting is selected, the external component outputs an audio format compatible with the TV.

I don't know what will happen with the cable box or WD streamer output, but for the BD player that means it will downmix its output to 2 ch. stereo because it knows a TV is a 2 ch. device. So even if you're successful in sending the audio back out from the TV via optical to the soundbar, the best you'll get from the BD player is stereo.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Possumgirl, for looking through the manual, and confirming what I saw there. yeah.. I kinda thought that would be the case. Rats. If only the optical input on the tv would "pass through" the signal from the HDMI (since the signal would be coming directly from the AVR).. we would be in great shape.

Yes, I'm doing my best to accomodate my wife and daughter..actually, I wouldn't mind not using my JBL speakers all THAT much. I DO want to utilise the AVR, simply because it decodes Dolby Digital Plus signal that Netflix uses for 5.1 surround sound, from the WD Media Streamer (and it IS true 5.1 surround.)..

if I were to use the optical cable directly from the WD Media Streamer to the soundbar..I would NOT be able to get that same 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround signal, because that soundbar simply doesn't decode the Dolby Digital Plus signal . Plus, even though my yamaha RX-V371 reciever is an entry level reciever,, it's a GREAT reciever, simply because it DOES decode every signal available.

BUT if all tv sets downmix the Optical cable output to 2 channel stereo only, well; then these surround soundbars (which use the Optical output on the tv sets) are a gigantic scam. UNLESS they are actually able to process a TRUE Dolby Digital surround signal out of 2 channel stereo. Which, at this point, I sorta kinda doubt.

Thanks again, Possumgirl for your advice.. I MAY inquire in the Reciever forum at AVS as to whether the Optical cable jacks on the back of the Yamaha Reciever are actually just INPUTs, OR can they OUTPUT a signal to a surround bar. It's worth asking, leaving no stone unturned.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.~ :>)
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Grimm View Post

BUT if all tv sets downmix the Optical cable output to 2 channel stereo only, well; then these surround soundbars (which use the Optical output on the tv sets) are a gigantic scam. UNLESS they are actually able to process a TRUE Dolby Digital surround signal out of 2 channel stereo. Which, at this point, I sorta kinda doubt.
"Scam" may be a harsh viewpoint. eek.gif Soundbars use their own digital signal processing to EMULATE surround sound. Apparently some do a pretty good job of it, while others are just meant to provide a more pleasing audio experience than TV speakers.
Quote:
Thanks again, Possumgirl for your advice.. I MAY inquire in the Reciever forum at AVS as to whether the Optical cable jacks on the back of the Yamaha Reciever are actually just INPUTs, OR can they OUTPUT a signal to a surround bar. It's worth asking, leaving no stone unturned.
Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.~ :>)

Based on the descriptions on pg. 6 where it shows the jack panel at the rear of the AVR, those optical jacks are definitely INPUTS. The only audio outputs are analog (other than the HDMI output).
post #9 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I really feel for you friend! I have never been able to tell a loved one that a gift was not good enough...My loved ones do not bother to buy me audio equipment any longer because I am so particular.

Keep in mind that your disappointment is temporary, hurt feelings last much longer! My suggestion is to hook up the soundbar and enjoy it for the time being! I owned the same model and they are pretty decent!

You are in the familiar situation of having to deal with WAF! You can use this as an opportunity to get what you desire...In the long run. See, when I think of speakers I think of floor standers or some monitors on nice speaker stands with big cables running into them. My girlfriend thinks otherwise! She likes my sound system but she hates the way it looks! I was able to use her distaste for big speakers and amplifiers to make a compromise on a Bose Lifestyle 235 system! We both won! It sounds pretty good and it has lots of WAF/GAF!!! To top it off, her friends fawn over it in a way they never did over my Krell/Dynaudio system!!!

Is the Bose system overpriced? Heck yes, but it keeps the missus and I happy! Your budget is definitely a consideration but I think that you can find a happy medium if you do the research!

Cheers and best of wishes!
post #10 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Possumgirl, you're right..I may have been a tad too harsh in my evaluation of soundbars in general..put it down to frustration.. that said; I think I've found a way to solve my problem~ I've not tried this yet..BUT I've found an HDMI Optical SWITCHER that may do the trick~!

My Yamaha reciever has 3 HDMI INPUTS, the Cablebox, Blu Ray player, and WD TV live media player are plugged into these HDMI inputs, and ONE HDMI OUT that plugs directly into the HDTV set. Soooo.. what if I take the HDMI cable that is plugged into the HDMI OUTPUT, plug THAT HDMI cable into the HDMI INPUT on the switcher, (Also plugging the OPTICAL CABLE from the Soundbar into the Optical Cable OUTPUT on the Switcher.) then plugging ANOTHER HDMI cable from the HDMI OUTPUT on the switcher DIRECTLY into the HDTV set to retain the High Def video.

If I set up the HDMI Optical Switcher this way.. I can actually get the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal passed directly from the Yamaha Reciever to the Yamaha Soundbar...thus actually using the RECIEVER WITH the SOUNDBAR..making my wife and daughter and myself happy again~! Problem Solved..that is ..if the HDMI Optical Switcher works as I hope it will.

Here's the link to the HDMI Optical Switcher that I'm going to try out..=

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Switch-Remote-Toslink-Coaxial/dp/B004XKZ2JC/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358315032&sr=1-6&keywords=hdmi+optical+switch

Thanks Possumgirl, and everyone for the great advice, and real patience with me~ smile.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

An interesting approach and I really don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but....

The customer reviews are less than stellar. The reviews are somewhat better if you look up that same switch on Monoprice. Since you'd be using this more as a pass-through instead of a switch, perhaps it would perform okay in your application.

The bigger question to me is whether your receiver will pass audio on the HDMI output without your changing the setting to "TV". If it does then your plan may work, but if you have to use the "TV" output then I think you'll have the same 2 ch. limitation with the blu-ray player.

Guess it's worth a try.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Possumgirl..I understand the concern about the worrisome reviews; that's why I've now ordered the Monoprice after consideration of those reviews. Thanks....

Regarding the change to "TV"..ok..I'm confused here..what change where? To my mind, I would simply be re-routing the signal ..detouring it a bit, if you will; from the HDMI out on the Yamaha Receiver, to the INPUT on the SWITCHER, then back out from the HDMI OUTPUT on the Switcher, to the HDTV set. I really wouldn't actually be CHANGING anything. I would still be able to use the Yamaha Receiver's Remote control to "Change" the source..since everything is still running through the receiver.. soo..if I wish to watch something through the WD Media player, or the cablebox, or the blu ray player.....I can switch the receiver to any source, but the SOUND would always be routed through the switcher to the soundbar.

Yes..I'd be loseing the TRUE surround of my rear speakers..BUT I'm attempting here to make my wife and daughter happy. I think my idea will work. I can't actually see a situation where the soundbar would still be receiving the PCM 2 channel signal. In every scenario that I can imagine, the soundbar CAN receive the DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS 5.1 signal, through the HDMI Optical switcher.

Now, as to whether the soundbar can actually PROCESS that Dolby Digital or DTS surround signal to EMULATE a proper surround atmosphere (in consideration of the room that it's in..) well, that's another story..in which we will have to wait and see how well the soundbar performs.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Regarding the change to "TV"..ok..I'm confused here..what change where?

Look back at post #6 with the statement from your AVR's manual. I don't know your receiver, but the implication of that statement is that the audio is going to go one place or the other. If the AVR still sends audio out on the HDMI without changing that setting to "TV", then your plan should work. But if it doesn't, then you're back to where you were without the switch. frown.gif

You're right that the sound coming out of the switch will go via the digital connection to the soundbar. But whether the audio going IN to the switch will be 5.1 is the question.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh, I see what'cha mean here.. well.. ok.. I'll probably have to test everything..in THEORY, everything should work.. but we'll see. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. smile.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope it works the way you want. You've been so persistent in finding a solution. smile.gif Please let us know how it goes!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Rx V371bl 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Samsung 46 Inch Ln46a630
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page