Bose CineMate 1 SR vs. Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm relatively new to AVS, but I haven't been able to find any comparisons of these two soundbars: Bose CineMate 1 SR vs. Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR. My apologies in advance if I missed a thread.

I am aware that most audiophiles find Bose products to be of poor quality / overpriced, but the user reviews of the Bose system on various websites seem incredibly positive. I'm amazed at how many people claim to hear noise all around. The Def Tech is about $500 more than the Bose, but I haven't read as much praise for the projected / surround sound effects. I also like that the Bose has a mic that will allow it to calibrate its performance for the shape of the room. I am not sure if/how the Def Tech can be customized for the shape of the room.

Is one soundbar hands down better than the other? I know that the Def Tech has more HDMI inputs, but I will probably use the TV for switching, so I think the Bose optical input should be enough.

I will mostly be using the soundbar for TV watching and music, maybe a blu-ray once a month. The unit will go above a fireplace and below a 55" Panasonic GT50 plasma TV. To the immediate left and right of the TV are windows about 2.5" wide. On the right is a long wall that I think should be helpful for bouncing sound to create that pseudo-surround effect. On the left, the room is open to the kitchen and a stairwell. About 25' opposite the TV are large sliding glass doors, with the main couch about half way between the TV and the sliders. The room is pretty much a rectangle with the exception of the left side opening up to the stairs and kitchen. Unfortunately, running wires for a true 5.1 isn't an option. I have read that the B&W Panorama and Yamaha YSP 5100 are excellent soundbar, but the Yamaha is a little too tall (8") and the Panaroma is too deep.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have listened to both sound bars side by side and I can tell you that the Def Tech bar is good but it doesn't even come close to the performance of the Bose unit. Go have listen to the Bose sound bar and you will impressed on how it creates an enveloping sound.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

I have listened to both sound bars side by side and I can tell you that the Def Tech bar is good but it doesn't even come close to the performance of the Bose unit. Go have listen to the Bose sound bar and you will impressed on how it creates an enveloping sound.

He seems to have the money, so go after the Bose LS 135 and call it a day. He will be thrilled with the looks and performance of it! As of lat,e Bose has come out with some pretty good sounding products.

OP, I used to blindly cut down Bose as a trash company...You can buy better, but if they fit you needs they are hard to beat! My girlfriend opened my eyes to the fact that audiophiles do not rule the world. Women (or non-audiophiles) have a say in what happens in the home, quite often a substantial say! The Bose made my GF very happy!!! I am also quite pleased with it (LS 235) as it sounds pretty decent! Bose is not necessarily the rubbish that you may have been brought to believe. They are a luxury item that happens to look very good and sound pretty decent. When I say decent, they will annihilate most any sounbar on the market! As a plus you will have a nice pride of ownership of, yes, a premium product.

Good luck in your search!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Smca80,

Please let me know what you go with, as I am in the same boat. Been saving for a sound bar and the Bose has been on the top of my list. My floor plan and location of tv is identical to yours.

Thanks in advance and good luck
post #5 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mathgeek, very well said. I have been a fan of Bose for years. I could never figure out all the bashing. I attest it to a bunch of sheep following the shepard.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

I bought the 1SR today, watched the San Francisco/Atlanta Game, I had no idea how much I was missing.
Tested a movie during halftime, I have to watch all the new movies I've seen since buying the Samsung Plasmas over again.
Great experience so far!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page