High pitched noise from HTB20 via HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I bought one of these to go with my Panasonic ST30 and Sony BDP590 BD player after tiring of straining to hear dialog and getting terrible output from the TV's speakers. I got the Panasonic HTB20 for its wonderful reviews and the fact that it is Viera link compatible (and cheap). During normal viewing conditions, I love it. The sound for my smaller living room area (I'm in a condo) is sublime, and the rumble even at the sub's lowest setting is sometimes too much due to my concrete walls. The soundbar speakers do a great job of providing a simulated effect, and even with the options turned off, it is well worth the $150 to replace the abysmal TV speakers.

Now to the crux of my issue. I have a smaller space as I mentioned, and the sub is stationed about 6 feet from where I typically sit. Great for wire management and keeping the unit within IR view, but bad for my sensitivity to high pitched noises. I already get enough of them from my TV (a plasma, whole other issue but I love the picture quality), so if there is no fix for this, the HTB20 will be going back to the store. The issue is only prevalent when 1) it is turned on and 2) it is hooked up to an HDMI source via the AV IN slot. I have tried both my BD player and my Xbox 360, so I am certain the connection here is causing this issue.

What is happening is this -- During times of lower volume (evening viewing for example) and quiet movie parts during the day, the sub / receiver emits a very high pitched noise. I ruled out TV interference by powering down the set and letting the BD player play while watching discs, and also decoupling the HDMI input when playing discs while the TV is on. This can be exacerbated by putting the HTB20 on mute, and the high pitched noise actually goes in tandem with the blinking lights on the sub / receiver indicating the unit is on mute. So when the 3 little LEDs are flashing, the pitch is higher, and when they go off during the blinking phase, the noise is subdued. I at first thought I was a bit nuts, but when I started noticing my cat was being startled by the noise fluctuation during the times of mute testing and focusing on the source of the whine I knew I had a problem. So, my question is, is there a workaround for this beyond just taking it apart and taking it back? Will this likely be a problem with other units due to my tendency to notice these sounds? Should I just forgo this style altogether and go for something like the YAS-101 with a built in sub and less wires to remove any sort of wire interference? *from my mini-tests and moving wires / cords / outlets around, nothing seems to have changed but it could still be a possibility with my smaller enclosure and wiring being so close and building being relatively old.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page