Need soundbar to run off optical out from tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a soundbar that will decode surround sound signal coming directly from the optical out on my panasonic TCP50G15. Trying to avoid getting a separate receiver. Needs to be under $500 (under $300 would be great) and ideally could be mounted to the base of the TV, using a mount like this: http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Pr....aspx/sp/7797/

The Yamaha YAS-101 gets good review and is priced right but is stereo w/a subwoofer, not surround. Also doesn't look like it can be mounted.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I hope that your demands for surround sound are realistic. You can only get so much with a single sound bar.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

I hope that your demands for surround sound are realistic. You can only get so much with a single sound bar.
I have one (a mythos ssa-50) on my other tv so I know what to expect. This is a secondary tv area mostly used by my kids and their friends. We're not audiophiles obviously. It's also a fairly small area - less than 10' across. I'm just trying to improve the sound without dropping a lot of $$. I would be open to a true 5.1 or 7.1 if I could get a decent set up for under $500.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by krx622 View Post

I am looking for a soundbar that will decode surround sound signal coming directly from the optical out on my panasonic TCP50G15.

Just to clarify, when you say "coming directly" are you referring to the TV's internal tuner, or to source devices (such as a cable box) attached to the TV? It makes a difference because if you're referring to the TV's tuner then you need a soundbar that can decode DD5.1. If the audio source is from something attached to the Panny, you're only going to get 2 ch. stereo output anyway so a decoder isn't needed.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Just to clarify, when you say "coming directly" are you referring to the TV's internal tuner, or to source devices (such as a cable box) attached to the TV? It makes a difference because if you're referring to the TV's tuner then you need a soundbar that can decode DD5.1. If the audio source is from something attached to the Panny, you're only going to get 2 ch. stereo output anyway so a decoder isn't needed.

Yes it will be coming directly from the TV using the optical out port and the TV's internal tuner. At least that's the plan assuming I can find a decent sounding soundbar that will decode 5.1.

That said, I would be happy to run a true 5.1 (or even 7.1) sound system but I'm assuming I'd need a receiver for that.

Somebody rec'd this unit elsewhere: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

The price is right but I don't know how good it is.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by krx622 View Post

Yes it will be coming directly from the TV using the optical out port and the TV's internal tuner. At least that's the plan assuming I can find a decent sounding soundbar that will decode 5.1.
That said, I would be happy to run a true 5.1 (or even 7.1) sound system but I'm assuming I'd need a receiver for that.
Somebody rec'd this unit elsewhere: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html
The price is right but I don't know how good it is.

Given that the room is not large, I think that Denon-BA setup would work well. You'd have true surround and plenty of flexibility to add source devices if you want to.

If a soundbar is more attractive to you, take a look at the Sony CT-550W. That would probably work out pretty well also.