Installed Soundbar but need your input on adding speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just this past week I installed the Toshiba SBX4250 Soundbar. It sounds good but was wondering if I could improve the surround effect by adding 2 more speakers. My room(basement-carpeted)measures 39' x 16' and my 46"flat screen is mounted in the middle so I have right at 19' on each side of the television. If I was to add a speaker on the right and left side of the television would that give me a better sound?

I figured the soundbar is mounted just under the television and with a speaker mounted on the wall 19' from the television on both sides it might really improve the surround effect. I'm lucky cause running the wires is no problem. Maybe it's not even possible to add 2 speakers to the soundbar itself. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You cannot add speakers to the soundbar. Have you taken the time to adjust settings to "dial in" the bar's surround effects so they sound best in your environment? You're trying to fill a pretty big space and the soundbar may not be up to the task.

Did you consider getting a true surround system (AVR + speakers) instead of a soundbar? Or did you look at the Vizio VHT510 which has rear speakers that connect to the subwoofer?

Without getting into the pricey bars like Yamaha YSP, I think you'll have trouble getting surround from most soundbars. BTW, even if you could add two speakers across the front, that would only give you a wider soundstage, not surround effect.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

My wife got it for me for Christmas. It's so much better sounding than the televisions speakers. I was lucky to be able to hang it on the wall because the cable connections and outlets were on the other side of the wall where the furnace and water heater are so I have no wires showing at all. It gives it a nice clean look. Also able to hook up a DVD and a Wii with no wires. Do you think it would make that much difference where the sub-woofer is located? Maybe behind the couch? Thanks for your input! 008.JPG 3918k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (3.83 MB, 14 views)
post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Your setup looks very nice indeed. smile.gif Try moving the sub around while listening to something with plenty of bass. Where the sub is positioned can make quite a difference. You can also Google "sub crawl" if you want to learn more than you ever imagined about sub placement. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Moved the sub around and and found the best place was on the side of the couch. I simply could not believe the difference. Thanks for the tips.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Toshiba Sbx4250 300w 2 1 Wireless Sound Bar Black , Vizio Vht510 5 1 Channel Home Theater System Black
Gear in this thread - Vht510 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page