Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpenguin View Post

Ahhh that stinks, are you saying the HDMI output was bad or one of the inputs? Maybe the actual switching isn't working.

I didn't get any audio or video output and I tried all the input connections with the Roku & my DVR. If you order the Monoprice switch make sure you can return it. I really wished it had worked. I'm back to my AVR setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

I just picked up these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8WEK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's coming next Monday, I'll let you know then

soo... what do you think of those stands...?
post #273 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim730 View Post

soo... what do you think of those stands...?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/240#post_24023952
post #274 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM

post #275 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM

the stand has additional attachments but the attachment screws it came with were to long to work with the vizio speaker so you will either have to buy additional screws or additional washers or use the doublesided tape..

I bet the same issue applies to the sanus stand as well.
post #276 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I didn't get any audio or video output and I tried all the input connections with the Roku & my DVR. If you order the Monoprice switch make sure you can return it. I really wished it had worked. I'm back to my AVR setup.

I found some people using just an extractor which has EDID audio selector that can be used to "force" 5.1 on the HDMI line: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=cm_rdp_product

It's similar to the monoprice but without the HDMI multi-switch so just purely an extractor. I figure a dedicated extractor device will perform better and then can pick-up a simple HDMI switch to place in front later. Many of the reviews mention success of splitting the digital audio 5.1 to a sound bar from HDMI output sources like Roku and Chromecast.
naustin and Chris Norfleet like this.
post #277 of 860 Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Hoping someone can help me out. I have an LG LM6400 and I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting true 5.1 from optical out through HDMI into TV. Does the Vizio simulate 5.1 if it's only getting 2.0? I hear specific sounds coming out of the rears but I don't know if it's true 5.1 or not. Will the Dolby digit only come on if it gets 5.1? When I connect ps3 to soundbar directly to Vizio via optical the Dolby indicator comes on, but when I connect the ps3 to TV via HDMI and then optical to soundbar with the same media I get nothing. Please some audiophile help me!!!!! Thanks.
post #278 of 860 Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

Hoping someone can help me out. I have an LG LM6400 and I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting true 5.1 from optical out through HDMI into TV. Does the Vizio simulate 5.1 if it's only getting 2.0? I hear specific sounds coming out of the rears but I don't know if it's true 5.1 or not. Will the Dolby digit only come on if it gets 5.1? When I connect ps3 to soundbar directly to Vizio via optical the Dolby indicator comes on, but when I connect the ps3 to TV via HDMI and then optical to soundbar with the same media I get nothing. Please some audiophile help me!!!!! Thanks.

Yes, your suspicions are correct. ONLY when you see the *Dolby Digital* icon flash does it mean you're getting TRUE 5.1 Dolby Digital. Very few TVs will pass-thru the HDMI audio as 5.1 to the optical out. What you hear is the "virtual" surround.

The only time the TV optical out will send 5.1 is native apps (ie: Smart TV w/ Netflix content that has 5.1) or HD Over the Air program that is in 5.1 (you can hit info on the TV and usually it will say if it's 5.1).

So your case it's best to connect your PS3 DIRECTLY into the sound bar to get the best quality sound.

Enjoy!
post #279 of 860 Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I found some people using just an extractor which has EDID audio selector that can be used to "force" 5.1 on the HDMI line: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=cm_rdp_product

It's similar to the monoprice but without the HDMI multi-switch so just purely an extractor. I figure a dedicated extractor device will perform better and then can pick-up a simple HDMI switch to place in front later. Many of the reviews mention success of splitting the digital audio 5.1 to a sound bar from HDMI output sources like Roku and Chromecast.

I think you may have hit upon the cleanest solution. Use a dedicated extractor to get a TOSlink/ SPDIF signal out of the Roku, and hopefully pass a clean HDMI signal to the TV. Then perhaps get a manual optical switch, since HDMI can be finicky since they have copy protection circuitry built in. I've returned my sound bar but can always buy another in the future. Let us know how your solution works out!
post #280 of 860 Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Just got my S4251W set up and I love it but there's just one small problem. I can't get my DirecTV RC66 remote to control the soundbar. The DirecTV system says there are two possible codes, 31517 and 32454, but neither seems to work. I'm 99.99% sure I'm programming the remote correctly since I managed to program it for my new TV

So, has anyone gotten their DirecTV remote to control their S4251W?

Thanks!

post #281 of 860 Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elforman View Post

Just got my S4251W set up and I love it but there's just one small problem. I can't get my DirecTV RC66 remote to control the soundbar. The DirecTV system says there are two possible codes, 31517 and 32454, but neither seems to work. I'm 99.99% sure I'm programming the remote correctly since I managed to program it for my new TV

So, has anyone gotten their DirecTV remote to control their S4251W?

Thanks!

You need to do the REVERSE have the sound bar "learn" the vol+, vol-, mute buttons on the directTV remote (or any remote). On the Vizio remote follow the instructions on how to put the sound bar into "learn" mode.

After that your vol buttons on the DirectTV remote will ALSO control the sound bar since the sound bar has "learned" to recognize the DirectTV remote signals.

If you want to control other functions you'll need to use a programmable remote like Harmony or use the original Vizio remote. smile.gif

Happy listening!!!
lcq4blackstar likes this.
post #282 of 860 Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, your suspicions are correct. ONLY when you see the *Dolby Digital* icon flash does it mean you're getting TRUE 5.1 Dolby Digital. Very few TVs will pass-thru the HDMI audio as 5.1 to the optical out. What you hear is the "virtual" surround.

The only time the TV optical out will send 5.1 is native apps (ie: Smart TV w/ Netflix content that has 5.1) or HD Over the Air program that is in 5.1 (you can hit info on the TV and usually it will say if it's 5.1).

So your case it's best to connect your PS3 DIRECTLY into the sound bar to get the best quality sound.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply, but when I play Netflix via ps3 it will falsh Dolby digital. DVD on same ps3, no icon. Why could that be?
post #283 of 860 Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

Thanks for the reply, but when I play Netflix via ps3 it will falsh Dolby digital. DVD on same ps3, no icon. Why could that be?

Assuming your DVD content has 5.1 audio content. As I remember you need to set some setting on the PS3 specifically for the player, think it's under video/audio playback for the player software and you need to set it to OUTPUT 5.1 surround. It may also be under the DVD menu under settings.
lcq4blackstar likes this.
post #284 of 860 Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Assuming your DVD content has 5.1 audio content. As I remember you need to set some setting on the PS3 specifically for the player, think it's under video/audio playback for the player software and you need to set it to OUTPUT 5.1 surround. It may also be under the DVD menu under settings.

Wow thanks man! I had to switch it from PCM to bitstream under dvd audio settings and now I'm getting true 5.1 through my TV when hooked up with HDMI in and optical from TV to soundbar. You rock!
post #285 of 860 Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I think you may have hit upon the cleanest solution. Use a dedicated extractor to get a TOSlink/ SPDIF signal out of the Roku, and hopefully pass a clean HDMI signal to the TV. Then perhaps get a manual optical switch, since HDMI can be finicky since they have copy protection circuitry built in. I've returned my sound bar but can always buy another in the future. Let us know how your solution works out!

Okay got it and been playing with it the whole night. Think there's a several issues going on:

1) The Vizio Sound Bar ONLY support Dolby Digital (NOT Dolby Digital Plus).
2) On the Roku this is an issue cause Netflix, HBOGo encode all their 5.1 in Dolby Digital Plus. HuluPlus does NOT currently support anything in 5.1. AmazonPrime IS DD, however.
3) For Chromecast you only have Netflix (DD+), HuluPlus (No 5.1), HBOGo (DD+) and GooglePlay which encodes their movies with HE-AAC codec.
3) Dolby Digital Plus can only be carried on HDMI.
4) To convert Dolby Digital Plus to plain Dolby Digital requires a a Dolby chip which you only can find on Blu-ray players and Receivers not on low-cost extractor or hdmi switcher.

So the extractor DOES support 5.1 on the optical out but it's only Dolby Digital, if it sees Dolby Digital Plus it goes out on the HDMI.

So for my Roku, playing Netflix 5.1 content only got sent as stereo and the sound bar would just "virtualize" it for surround.
HOWEVER, AmazonPrime DOES encode their 5.1 as Dolby Digital (no plus).

So I was able to get the Vizio sound bar to flash Dolby Digital 5.1 when I played "Hunger Games" on AmazonPrime, however when I played it on Netflix no "Dolby Digital" icon.

Ideally, the Vizio bar should really support HDMI input so it can take the Dolby Digital Plus signal natively.

I picked up a Sony Blu-ray which has a coxial digital audio out that has smart-apps. When I play ANY content off the Sony Blu-ray it will auto down-convert the DD+ to just DD and send it over the coax into the sound bar so I get 5.1 consistently when playing HuluPlus, Netflix, or AmazonPrime.

So for now I'm using my Sony Blu-ray to stream all the content.

Summary:
- By design DD+ is carried on HDMI, only DD is carried on optical.
- You need to have something that can down convert that has an optical or coxial out.
- All the HDMI switchers and audio extractors I've seen can NOT down convert as they don't have the dolby chip.
- There's limited content on Roku which is DD only (namely AmazonPrime) the other apps mainly us DD+.
- The switches and extractors can extract out DD and send it over the optical wire, however is cannot down-convert a DD+ and send it over the optical wire.

Recommendation for those considering Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar:
- Keep in mind your source content, you really want your sources to output either coxial or optical out. HDMI output only devices even with an extractor will mostly yield only stereo (with simulated surround) unless the app outputs Dolby Digital (not plus) out (like AmazonPrime).
- Even with this limitation, if you can get the Vizio Sound Bar for a good price it can still be worthwhile to have the extra surrounds (you can also just turn them off). The rears also play with bluetooth streaming (I tested it with Pandora on my iPhone and get sound from all speakers).
- Don't think an extractor is worth all the hassle, content that is purely DD is so limited that it's probably not worth all the extra wires. Yeah, when I watch AmazonPrime I can get 5.1, but everything else not so is it really worth having another connection and more wires all over the place. You might as well just use the optical out from the TV which will give you stereo.
- If you only have HDMI output devices, like a Roku then you really won't be able to take full advantage of the 5.1 dolby digital of the Vizio 5.1 sound bar from ALL apps (only AmazonPrime, NOT Netflix). Unless there's a big sale (Costco was selling this system for $199 during blackfriday), save the extra bucks and just go for the 2.1 system or be prepare to update your source devices (part ways w/ your Roku, Chromecast).
- Realize that 5.1 Sound Bars are economical alternatives to a full home theater system. If you want a system that can support ALL 5.1 formats then you need to go full fledge with a receiver and speaker system.

Incidentally, the same issue happens with Sonos users who are trying to do 5.1. There they only get true 5.1 with AmazonPrime and just "live" that Netflix will always be stereo, but since they love the Sonos so much they don't really care smile.gif. Alternatively, you can swap out your Roku for AppleTV which has an optical out which will give you 5.1 on the Vizio 5.1 sound bar. smile.gif

Net Roku does not play well with 5.1 sound bars frown.gif -- namely because of their limited audio outputs. The audio extractor does help but only for AmazonPrime 5.1 content not Netflix 5.1 content. Forget about getting 5.1 out of Chromecast.

Hope this helps others who are looking into this system. When possible get devices with a digital optical/coxial out and you'll be happy with your 5.1 Vizio system.
post #286 of 860 Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Excellent research Netpenguin! Thanks very much.
post #287 of 860 Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Okay got it and been playing with it the whole night. Think there's a several issues going on:

2) On the Roku this is an issue cause Netflix, HBOGo encode all their 5.1 in Dolby Digital Plus. HuluPlus does NOT currently support anything in 5.1. AmazonPrime IS DD, however.
3) For Chromecast you only have Netflix (DD+), HuluPlus (No 5.1), HBOGo (DD+) and GooglePlay which encodes their movies with HE-AAC codec.
4) To convert Dolby Digital Plus to plain Dolby Digital requires a a Dolby chip which you only can find on Blu-ray players and Receivers not on low-cost extractor or hdmi switcher.

So the extractor DOES support 5.1 on the optical out but it's only Dolby Digital, if it sees Dolby Digital Plus it goes out on the HDMI.

So for my Roku, playing Netflix 5.1 content only got sent as stereo and the sound bar would just "virtualize" it for surround.

So I was able to get the Vizio sound bar to flash Dolby Digital 5.1 when I played "Hunger Games" on AmazonPrime, however when I played it on Netflix no "Dolby Digital" icon.

Ideally, the Vizio bar should really support HDMI input so it can take the Dolby Digital Plus signal natively.

I picked up a Sony Blu-ray which has a coxial digital audio out that has smart-apps. When I play ANY content off the Sony Blu-ray it will auto down-convert the DD+ to just DD and send it over the coax into the sound bar so I get 5.1 consistently when playing HuluPlus, Netflix, or AmazonPrime.

Summary:
- You need to have something that can down convert that has an optical or coxial out.
- All the HDMI switchers and audio extractors I've seen can NOT down convert as they don't have the dolby chip.
- There's limited content on Roku which is DD only (namely AmazonPrime) the other apps mainly us DD+.
- The switches and extractors can extract out DD and send it over the optical wire, however is cannot down-convert a DD+ and send it over the optical wire.

- Keep in mind your source content, you really want your sources to output either coxial or optical out. HDMI output only devices even with an extractor will mostly yield only stereo (with simulated surround) unless the app outputs Dolby Digital (not plus) out (like AmazonPrime).
- Even with this limitation, if you can get the Vizio Sound Bar for a good price it can still be worthwhile to have the extra surrounds (you can also just turn them off). The rears also play with bluetooth streaming (I tested it with Pandora on my iPhone and get sound from all speakers).
- Don't think an extractor is worth all the hassle, content that is purely DD is so limited that it's probably not worth all the extra wires. Yeah, when I watch AmazonPrime I can get 5.1, but everything else not so is it really worth having another connection and more wires all over the place. You might as well just use the optical out from the TV which will give you stereo.
- If you only have HDMI output devices, like a Roku then you really won't be able to take full advantage of the 5.1 dolby digital of the Vizio 5.1 sound bar from ALL apps (only AmazonPrime, NOT Netflix). Unless there's a big sale (Costco was selling this system for $199 during blackfriday), save the extra bucks and just go for the 2.1 system or be prepare to update your source devices (part ways w/ your Roku, Chromecast).
- Realize that 5.1 Sound Bars are economical alternatives to a full home theater system. If you want a system that can support ALL 5.1 formats then you need to go full fledge with a receiver and speaker system.

Incidentally, the same issue happens with Sonos users who are trying to do 5.1. There they only get true 5.1 with AmazonPrime and just "live" that Netflix will always be stereo, but since they love the Sonos so much they don't really care smile.gif. Alternatively, you can swap out your Roku for AppleTV which has an optical out which will give you 5.1 on the Vizio 5.1 sound bar. smile.gif

Net Roku does not play well with 5.1 sound bars frown.gif -- namely because of their limited audio outputs. The audio extractor does help but only for AmazonPrime 5.1 content not Netflix 5.1 content. Forget about getting 5.1 out of Chromecast.

Hope this helps others who are looking into this system. When possible get devices with a digital optical/coxial out and you'll be happy with your 5.1 Vizio system.

This is a fantastic write up and really will help many. Should be a sticky for this thread if there is such a thing. Thanks for all your testing. This reinforced to me I want to wait in hopes for the 54inch hdmi version. Come on Vizio!
post #288 of 860 Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Summary:

Which extractor did you use to conduct this test?
post #289 of 860 Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

Which extractor did you use to conduct this test?

This one: ViewHD Premium HDMI to HDMI + Audio (sPDIF + RAC L/R) Audio Extractor | Converter (New 2013 Model)

I actually been playing with it more.

I have a chromecast and notice that Plex is now supporting casting. So I thought maybe the Plex server can actually transcode the 5.1 signal to the Chromecast and then the extractor pull out the 5.1 signal over the optical line. No luck frown.gif. It's still beta so maybe the implementation is not supporting surround sound, although the Chromecast device can natively support a good number of 5.1 surround codecs.

I did however get my Sony Smart Blu-ray to see my Plex server and play a movie that was encoded in Dolby Digital (AC-3 codec) and the Vizio sound bar recognized it immediately and flashed the Dolby Digital.

What's a bit weird is I have stuff encoded in DTS and the Vizio sound bar doesn't recognize that at all. I know that DTS-HD won't work (similar issue as DD+ where it's just too big to be carried on optical) but regular DTS surround should be okay.

Question on current owners have you EVER seen the DTS icon on the Sound Bar flash? If so what source did you use?

So think the net of all this is if you REALLY want the high-end, high-fidelity sound then the traditional home theater with a good receiver is what's needed.

But if you're looking for a step-up from your TV speakers this is really good. There's tons of folks (reading the Amazon reviews) that are plenty happy routing this through their TV (which most cases downmixes to stereo) and still love the sound.

Vizio does have two post-processing to simulate surround from stereo: DTS Circle Surround -- again probably just good enough if you're not an audiophile.
post #290 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 04:48 AM

By all accounts, people with the Octava and the 7974 Monoprice devices have had luck with getting surround from this model and from the Sonosplaybar (which incidentally supports fewer codecs than this model). Maybe one of those is worth a try before totally writing this product off.
post #291 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

This one: ViewHD Premium HDMI to HDMI + Audio (sPDIF + RAC L/R) Audio Extractor | Converter (New 2013 Model)

I actually been playing with it more.

I have a chromecast and notice that Plex is now supporting casting. So I thought maybe the Plex server can actually transcode the 5.1 signal to the Chromecast and then the extractor pull out the 5.1 signal over the optical line. No luck frown.gif. It's still beta so maybe the implementation is not supporting surround sound, although the Chromecast device can natively support a good number of 5.1 surround codecs.

I did however get my Sony Smart Blu-ray to see my Plex server and play a movie that was encoded in Dolby Digital (AC-3 codec) and the Vizio sound bar recognized it immediately and flashed the Dolby Digital.

What's a bit weird is I have stuff encoded in DTS and the Vizio sound bar doesn't recognize that at all. I know that DTS-HD won't work (similar issue as DD+ where it's just too big to be carried on optical) but regular DTS surround should be okay.

Question on current owners have you EVER seen the DTS icon on the Sound Bar flash? If so what source did you use?

So think the net of all this is if you REALLY want the high-end, high-fidelity sound then the traditional home theater with a good receiver is what's needed.

But if you're looking for a step-up from your TV speakers this is really good. There's tons of folks (reading the Amazon reviews) that are plenty happy routing this through their TV (which most cases downmixes to stereo) and still love the sound.

Vizio does have two post-processing to simulate surround from stereo: DTS Circle Surround -- again probably just good enough if you're not an audiophile.

I am pretty sure i've seen it flash on the Netflix app on my sony kdl70r550a. I will need to confirm this
post #292 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

By all accounts, people with the Octava and the 7974 Monoprice devices have had luck with getting surround from this model and from the Sonosplaybar (which incidentally supports fewer codecs than this model). Maybe one of those is worth a try before totally writing this product off.

Yes, you can get surround using those devices it's just a matter of the "type" of surround whether it's native vs post-processing.

If you read the Sonos support groups (ask.sonos.com) it's the same issue. Sonos users were able to get true 5.1 from AmazonPrime (DD) but not Netflix (DD+) which comes thru as stereo (using the Monoprice or Octava) and the Sound Bar will just virtualizes it to Surround.

It has to do with DD+ not being able to be carried on optical and most TVs not being able to pass-thru the HD 5.1 audio signal.

Even the official reps from Sonos will recommend just using the TV as your HDMI switch even though it'll be just stereo and fully acknowledge in most cases only stereo is being feed into the Sonos sound bar.

However, Sonos does have very good sound and excellent post processing to virtualize the surround which still sounds good.

The same thing with this Vizio it has post processing surround which is DTS circle surround so you DO get surround and sound from all speakers.

It's not a matter of do you get surround or not. You will hear sound from all speakers in all cases, it's just whether it's pure discrete 5.1 or a virtualize. That being said lots of people enjoy pro-logic processing too so just depends how picky you want to be.

What it comes down to is if you're a puriest and want the absolute highest fidelity sound possible in that case a home theater is a better route.

If you want simplicity, and don't mind getting the occasional 5.1 virtual (which is still good) then most folks will be happy with this. The setup is very simple and looks elegant and you get surround speakers without all the wires.

For the record I'm an owner and still happy with the purchase.

I did play Hunger Games in both virtual surround (no DD light) and in DD (with the DD light flashing) and even the virtual surround sounded really good and got sound from all speakers. Maybe if I stuck my ear to the surround the DD version sounded SLIGHTLY clearer but who's going to do that? Fact is that surround is just support so it doesn't neceassarily need to be that perfect and still get an awesome sound experience.

I'm just merely pointing out the compromises you will make if you're considering going sound bar vs a receiver/speaker setup.

Again, Sonos sound bar also has the same issues so it's not specific to Vizio.

To audiophiles this stuff matters but to the average joe who just wants to watch media with a very decent set of speakers that can do 5.1 (and virtual 5.1 well) this will fit the bill easily.
post #293 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

I am pretty sure i've seen it flash on the Netflix app on my sony kdl70r550a. I will need to confirm this

I believe that, Sony is one of the VERY few HDTV that WILL pass-thru the DD signal fine (believe they convert the DD+ coming from Netflix to just DD and send it over the optical wire).

However, most HDTVs will not. Not my Samsung HDTV or Vizio HDTV frown.gif.

If you search there is an entire thread to identify which TVs can pass-thru 5.1. Seems Sony TV and some Panasonic TV are the lucky ones.

In that case this product is PERFECT for you! Enjoy your setup and save us a spot during movie time! wink.gif
post #294 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

When I still owned the Vizio Soundbar, I got the DTS to flash using an TOSlink out from my Panasonic Bluray player. I had set "The Life of Pi" to 7.1 DTS.
post #295 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Im beginning to lose hope on the 54 inch version of this. I wonder if there was a change in plans or a miscommunication. There is a new 54 inch just released but it's 3.0 only. I mainly was hoping for hdmi inputs. I've only got 3 inputs I need xbox one, tivo premiere, and the out on the TV. Tivo has optical/hdmi, xbox hdmi only. So I'm thinking getting this 42inch and some sort of combo switcher to feed the Vizio optical.
post #296 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

Im beginning to lose hope on the 54 inch version of this. I wonder if there was a change in plans or a miscommunication. There is a new 54 inch just released but it's 3.0 only. I mainly was hoping for hdmi inputs. I've only got 3 inputs I need xbox one, tivo premiere, and the out on the TV. Tivo has optical/hdmi, xbox hdmi only. So I'm thinking getting this 42inch and some sort of combo switcher to feed the Vizio optical.
I was in the same position as you. Was holding out for the 54", but gave up on it. Got a little nudge towards the 42", when it hit $200 at Costco on black Friday. I don't regret my decision. It sounds great and was well worth the money. The extra hdmi input on the 54" model would have been nice, but I just bought a cheap optical switcher from monoprice and now my PC, cable box, and blu-ray player are all hooked up to 5.1, and all I have to do is turn a little switch. Although the situation is not optimal, the price savings (and frustration ending from waiting for the 54") was well worth picking up the 42". I'd recommend it to anyone.
post #297 of 860 Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:

As I recall Xbox One won't support 5.1 over optical for their launch anyways. And I remember others saying some issues with TIVO producing 5.1 over optic as well. So I'm afraid the optical switch isn't going to gain you additional sound benefits in your case.

In that case you might as well run everything through your TV via HDMI and just run a single optical from the TV to the sound bar since it will produce the same net result (stereo that gets post processed to 5.1) but with a cleaner setup. Later when MSFT updates their firmware you can look at getting an optical switch so you can get the full 5.1 audio.

But you may also decide that the virtual surround which is generated from the stereo signal is perfectly fine too smile.gif. If you have a Sony HDTV which can support 5.1 pass-thru then you're all set!

Costco likes to repeat sales, so if you see it drop to $200 again snag it and see how you like it. That's really the only way to know if it'll work for you and acceptable for your setup.

At the end of the day your ears will be the judge if the sound is good enough not the icon that flashes on the sound bar.

>>>
Full Dolby Digital audio via digital optical will be added to Xbox One at some point after launch, Microsoft has confirmed.
post #298 of 860 Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:

As I recall Xbox One won't support 5.1 over optical for their launch anyways. And I remember others saying some issues with TIVO producing 5.1 over optic as well. So I'm afraid the optical switch isn't going to gain you additional sound benefits in your case.

In that case you might as well run everything through your TV via HDMI and just run a single optical from the TV to the sound bar since it will produce the same net result (stereo that gets post processed to 5.1) but with a cleaner setup. Later when MSFT updates their firmware you can look at getting an optical switch so you can get the full 5.1 audio.

But you may also decide that the virtual surround which is generated from the stereo signal is perfectly fine too smile.gif. If you have a Sony HDTV which can support 5.1 pass-thru then you're all set!

Costco likes to repeat sales, so if you see it drop to $200 again snag it and see how you like it. That's really the only way to know if it'll work for you and acceptable for your setup.

At the end of the day your ears will be the judge if the sound is good enough not the icon that flashes on the sound bar.

>>>
Full Dolby Digital audio via digital optical will be added to Xbox One at some point after launch, Microsoft has confirmed.
<<<</div>
I agree you have some good points. I just seen the MS update has been announced to enable 5.1, so I'm looking forward to that as I use it for Netflix and the like. For now maybe use the optical on my f8000 Samsung, since that should allow me 5.1 Dolby from the tvs Netflix app. I would skip all this and do a av receiver but I can't run wires to the back of my room. Vizio is best solution. Thanks for the advice.
post #299 of 860 Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:

I agree you have some good points. I just seen the MS update has been announced to enable 5.1, so I'm looking forward to that as I use it for Netflix and the like. For now maybe use the optical on my f8000 Samsung, since that should allow me 5.1 Dolby from the tvs Netflix app. I would skip all this and do a av receiver but I can't run wires to the back of my room. Vizio is best solution. Thanks for the advice.

I'll be totally honest with you in that 5.1 is great coming from the system.... but the simulated surround is almost as good. I would not let the lack of current support on your devices sway your decision. If you CAN hook up your blu-ray source (X-Box One, I am guessing) via toslink, that would normally be optimal. But if the One does not support Dolby Digital currently, I'd just go with using your TV as a pass-through, like you said. Nothing lost with that option (currently). Hopefully, Microsoft gets off their butts and supports 5.1 & 7.1 via optical. For a $500 system, not having it at launch ridiculous.
post #300 of 860 Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 13
What do you guys think about getting a 54" 3.0 soundbar with external Subwoofer.. as compared to 42" 5.1 setup? 54" soundbar supports external subs, so effectively it's 3.1 versus 5.1 systems. Since 54" supports HDMI with ARC, it's a cleaner setup without the need to mess around with HDMI switches etc.

How do you think the sound compares between these two setups for DD sources?
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page