Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 AM
Member
 
Infinite Xero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

If you select bitstream dts you will get the best audio but that requires switching the optical audio cable from sound bar to tv to sound bar to ps4.

 

When I set this option on my PS4, the soundbar still flashes Digital, indicating true 5.1 audio. So why would I need to remove the optical cable from my TV and put it into my PS4?


TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

Infinite Xero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Member
 
SlackerCSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Vizio 70" e701ia3 TV. If I run all my components into the TV (XBox, Comcast, Etc) and run the audio from the TV to the soundbar, will I get true 5.1 sound?
SlackerCSB is offline  
post #453 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerCSB View Post

I have a Vizio 70" e701ia3 TV. If I run all my components into the TV (XBox, Comcast, Etc) and run the audio from the TV to the soundbar, will I get true 5.1 sound?
No.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #454 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Member
 
SlackerCSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What if I run all the components into my Onkyo receiver and then run the audio out to the sound bar. Would that be 5.1?
SlackerCSB is offline  
post #455 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Xero View Post

When I set this option on my PS4, the soundbar still flashes Digital, indicating true 5.1 audio. So why would I need to remove the optical cable from my TV and put it into my PS4?
Just because it flashes "Digital" does not mean its 5.1. 99% of tvs will not output 5.1 from an external source via optical. The tv will downconvert it to 2.0. If you hook directly from the PS4 to the soundbar then you will get 5.1.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #456 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerCSB View Post

What if I run all the components into my Onkyo receiver and then run the audio out to the sound bar. Would that be 5.1?
Yes

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #457 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Member
 
mercennarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Just because it flashes "Digital" does not mean its 5.1. 99% of tvs will not output 5.1 from an external source via optical. The tv will downconvert it to 2.0. If you hook directly from the PS4 to the soundbar then you will get 5.1.

Many newer TVs output DTS and DD via optical from an external source. I know mine does and this soundbar switches between "dolby Digital" and "DTS" depending on what is playing on the TV.
mercennarius is offline  
post #458 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellogg02 View Post

Bump, anyone have similar issue?
I believe you are having the 2.0 versus 5.1 perception issue discussed above, hearing sounds out the rears when you turn dolby digital off. If you like hearing the rears all the time you can go back to running thru your TV. I don't think you have Sound bar problem, but as a test watch a Bluray action movie with the optical connection.
naustin is offline  
post #459 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

Many newer TVs output DTS and DD via optical from an external source. I know mine does and this soundbar switches between "dolby Digital" and "DTS" depending on what is playing on the TV.
I didnt say 99% of tvs wouldnt output DTS and DD from an external source. I said they would not output 5.1 from an external source. The tv will downconvert the 5.1 signal to a 2.0 signal. And I just about guarantee your tv is doing that.
Just because it says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" does not mean its 5.1. This is something that the makers of soundbars would never tell you. Soundbars are not meant to replace a multimedia AVR and true surround system. They are designed to be better than the tv speakers for OTA tv and the built in apps that many of todays Smart tvs have. As is usually the case you get what you pay for.
What kind of tv do you have?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #460 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Xero View Post

When I set this option on my PS4, the soundbar still flashes Digital, indicating true 5.1 audio. So why would I need to remove the optical cable from my TV and put it into my PS4?



There's a dts light too but it only works if you run optical from sound bar to ps4
JD4L is offline  
post #461 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I didnt say 99% of tvs wouldnt output DTS and DD from an external source. I said they would not output 5.1 from an external source. The tv will downconvert the 5.1 signal to a 2.0 signal. And I just about guarantee your tv is doing that.
Just because it says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" does not mean its 5.1. This is something that the makers of soundbars would never tell you.
What kind of tv do you have?

I run mine from soundbar to tv and I got 5.1 on cable box xbox and blu ray player the only thing I can't get is dts unless I run optical from soundbar to blu ray player... Even tho my vizio says it does dts.... Frustrating
JD4L is offline  
post #462 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

Many newer TVs output DTS and DD via optical from an external source. I know mine does and this soundbar switches between "dolby Digital" and "DTS" depending on what is playing on the TV.
As a point of information, Some Dolby digital is encoded as 2 channel only. Most network shows are 5.1 encoded but most PBS in Dolby digital 2.0. I know because my Onkyo AVR receiver shows the source signal.
naustin is offline  
post #463 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

I run mine from soundbar to tv and I got 5.1 on cable box xbox and blu ray player the only thing I can't get is dts unless I run optical from soundbar to blu ray player... Even tho my vizio says it does dts.... Frustrating
How do you know you are getting 5.1 from your bluray player?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #464 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

How do you know you are getting 5.1 from your bluray player?


I have tested all kinds of methods and the sound is identical when using dd5.1 running optical from tv to sound bar or running optical to blu ray player unless I switch to dts then I notice better bass but when running from tv to sound bar It's very crisp and if it was making it run 2.0 wouldn't that be same as RCA?? I've also switched from RCA to optical during movies and there is a huge diff in quality of the sound and vizio rep said that when the light comes on you are getting 5.1 which I guess May not always be true but I know it is for me and they said I should be able to get dts but for some reason I can't.... Maybe I need a soundbar firmware update
JD4L is offline  
post #465 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

As a point of information, Some Dolby digital is encoded as 2 channel only. Most network shows are 5.1 encoded but most PBS in Dolby digital 2.0. I know because my Onkyo AVR receiver shows the source signal.
Exactly. DD and DTS can be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2 and anything else. Just because it says DD or DTS does not make it 5.1. And if you have a soundbar how would you know the difference? How would you know that the soundbar is not just simulating surround with something like Dolby ProLogicII? You wouldnt because the soundbar does not tell you exactly what kind of signal it is receiving. The makers do that on purpose because if it did tell you exactly what the signal was a lot of people would be very disappointed to find out that they are listening to everything in simulated surround instead of true 5.1.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #466 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Exactly. DD and DTS can be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2 and anything else. Just because it says DD or DTS does not make it 5.1. And if you have a soundbar how would you know the difference? How would you know that the soundbar is not just simulating surround with something like Dolby ProLogicII? You wouldnt because the soundbar does not tell you exactly what kind of signal it is receiving. The makers do that on purpose because if it did tell you exactly what the signal was a lot of people would be very disappointed to find out that they are listening to everything in simulated surround instead of true 5.1.


I can hear the difference
JD4L is offline  
post #467 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

I have tested all kinds of methods and the sound is identical when using dd5.1 running optical from tv to sound bar or running optical to blu ray player unless I switch to dts then I notice better bass but when running from tv to sound bar It's very crisp and if it was making it run 2.0 wouldn't that be same as RCA?? I've also switched from RCA to optical during movies and there is a huge diff in quality of the sound and vizio rep said that when the light comes on you are getting 5.1 which I guess May not always be true but I know it is for me and they said I should be able to get dts but for some reason I can't.... Maybe I need a soundbar firmware update
The Vizio rep told you its 5.1 when the,light comes on because hes a Vizio rep.
And the sound is not "identical". No offense but you just cant tell the difference when switching. If you had a way to do it A/B you would notice the difference.
No its not the same as 2.0 through RCA. The soundbar is most likely using Dolby ProLogicII to fake 5.1 and that format is not supported by RCA.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #468 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

I can hear the difference
Sure. Youre hearing the difference between Dolby ProLogicII and Stereo. Neither of which is 5.1.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #469 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Exactly. DD and DTS can be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2 and anything else. Just because it says DD or DTS does not make it 5.1. And if you have a soundbar how would you know the difference? How would you know that the soundbar is not just simulating surround with something like Dolby ProLogicII? You wouldnt because the soundbar does not tell you exactly what kind of signal it is receiving. The makers do that on purpose because if it did tell you exactly what the signal was a lot of people would be very disappointed to find out that they are listening to everything in simulated surround instead of true 5.1.

+1 on that! Most people want a simulated sound that throws sound out of 5 speakers all the time (getting their monies worth). I wish the sound bar had more digital inputs so I could ditch the AVR,
naustin is offline  
post #470 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The Vizio rep told you its 5.1 when the,light comes on because hes a Vizio rep.
And the sound is not "identical". No offense but you just cant tell the difference when switching. If you had a way to do it A/B you would notice the difference.
No its not the same as 2.0 through RCA. The soundbar is most likely using Dolby ProLogicII to fake 5.1 and that format is not supported by RCA.


You could be right for most ppl but I keep one optical from tv to bar and keep one in blu ray player and the other end sitting next to the bar so when I switched it literally took 2 seconds an have notice noooo difference
JD4L is offline  
post #471 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

You could be right for most ppl but I keep one optical from tv to bar and keep one in blu ray player and the other end sitting next to the bar so when I switched it literally took 2 seconds an have notice noooo difference
If you are running the optical directly from bluray to the bar then you will get 5.1. Now if you also do that for your cable box every time you want to watch cable you will be set.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #472 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

+1 on that! Most people want a simulated sound that throws sound out of 5 speakers all the time (getting their monies worth). I wish the sound bar had more digital inputs so I could ditch the AVR,
You get what you pay for. Really if you have an AVR I would never go with a soundbar. Youre paying too much for convenience and inferior sound. You could just buy some nice speakers for the same money and have 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 or even a decent true 5.1 setup for what some of these soundbars that come with ultra cheap speakers and sub. Then you throw in wireless and the sound suffers even more.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #473 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Member
 
mercennarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post


I didnt say 99% of tvs wouldnt output DTS and DD from an external source. I said they would not output 5.1 from an external source. The tv will downconvert the 5.1 signal to a 2.0 signal. And I just about guarantee your tv is doing that.
Just because it says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" does not mean its 5.1. This is something that the makers of soundbars would never tell you. Soundbars are not meant to replace a multimedia AVR and true surround system. They are designed to be better than the tv speakers for OTA tv and the built in apps that many of todays Smart tvs have. As is usually the case you get what you pay for.
What kind of tv do you have?

 

This soundbar does decode DTS and DD and outputs true surround. On the Vizio S4251W, every time it lights up Dolby Digital or DTS, my speakers are outputting true surround. My TV is an LG 55GA7900 and does pass through DTS and DD through the optical port.

mercennarius is offline  
post #474 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

This soundbar does decode DTS and DD and outputs true surround. On the Vizio S4251W, every time it lights up Dolby Digital or DTS, my speakers are outputting true surround. My TV is an LG 55GA7900 and does pass through DTS and DD through the optical port.
Never said it didnt decode DTS and DD.
As for the rest of your post...ok if you say so. I suggest you do some research on surround sound.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #475 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

This soundbar does decode DTS and DD and outputs true surround. On the Vizio S4251W, every time it lights up Dolby Digital or DTS, my speakers are outputting true surround. My TV is an LG 55GA7900 and does pass through DTS and DD through the optical port.
Post over in the owners thread for your tv and ask them if youre tv will output 5.1 from optical with an external source and see what they say.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #476 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If you are running the optical directly from bluray to the bar then you will get 5.1. Now if you also do that for your cable box every time you want to watch cable you will be set.

If I leave my blu ray player set to bitstream Dolby 5.1 there is no diff in the sound at all no matter where the optical cord is plugged into... The only way I get better sound is by changing the blu ray player settings to bitstream dts then running the cord to blu ray player
JD4L is offline  
post #477 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JD4L is offline  
post #478 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

If I leave my blu ray player set to bitstream Dolby 5.1 there is no diff in the sound at all no matter where the optical cord is plugged into... The only way I get better sound is by changing the blu ray player settings to bitstream dts then running the cord to blu ray player
Youve said that many times. I believe that is what you hear. Do you have a question?
If the Vizio has HDMI why dont you buy an HDMI cable?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #479 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Member
 
JD4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just trying to get my point across that I'm getting 5.1 and because this sound bar doesn't have hdmi
JD4L is offline  
post #480 of 862 Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post

Just trying to get my point across that I'm getting 5.1 and because this sound bar doesn't have hdmi
And Im trying to get my point across that if you have the optical cable coming from the tv to the soundbar while watching a bluray you are NOT getting 5.1. I can care less if you think you can hear the difference or not. I will not type that again. Enjoy.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off