Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 862 Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwman26 View Post

Thanks.  I'm guessing I can probably program my harmony 650 remote to switch audio inputs for me when I turn on the TV or BD player.

I use a Harmony 890 Pro and it works fine switching the inputs. I did have a little trouble getting my Vizio TV to turn off but a few adjustments and it works fine in that area. The only issue so far with the harmony is having the input change back from the Internet smart functions. All other activities with the soundbar and harmony work fine. I have a Vizio TV, Sony BR Player, WD-TV Live+ and HD Cable Box .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Just a heads up, this is on sale on woot.com (tec) as a refurb for 199.99 + 5 bucks shipping today only (3/1) until they are sold out. If you aren't familiar with Woot they are reputable. A while ago they were bought out by Amazon. If you don't mind refurbs that is.
post #543 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post

Just a heads up, this is on sale on woot.com (tec) as a refurb for 199.99 + 5 bucks shipping today only (3/1) until they are sold out. If you aren't familiar with Woot they are reputable. A while ago they were bought out by Amazon. If you don't mind refurbs that is.

Do you thinkg it's safe to get a refurb vizio soundbar?

post #544 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw5963 View Post

Do you thinkg it's safe to get a refurb vizio soundbar?

Id say so....never had one issue with a refurbished product before.
post #545 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

Id say so....never had one issue with a refurbished product before.

Thanks. I was trying to decide between this at woot or walmart. Walmart has it new for $298 but I have $50 GC there plus they offer a $50 GC with purchase. So it would be $248 with a GC included. What's the better deal?

post #546 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:

Thanks. I was trying to decide between this at woot or walmart. Walmart has it new for $298 but I have $50 GC there plus they offer a $50 GC with purchase. So it would be $248 with a GC included. What's the better deal?
Do you get a warranty on the refurb from Woot? What is their return policy?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #547 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Do you get a warranty on the refurb from Woot? What is their return policy?

There's an optional square trade one for 1 year at $31.99. Their return policy says if a product is defective to contact the manufacturer. If you must return it to woot then you have to pay the shipping in return and then you will get a refund. Sounds kind of iffy to me.

post #548 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's an optional square trade one for 1 year at $31.99. Their return policy says if a product is defective to contact the manufacturer. If you must return it to woot then you have to pay the shipping in return and then you will get a refund. Sounds kind of iffy to me.
Im not gonna tell you what to do. Just want you to make an informed decision.

post #549 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Why get refurbished when you can get a new one at Sam's Club for $228??

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-soundbar-home-theater/prod11020960.ip?navAction=

post #550 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinss View Post

Why get refurbished when you can get a new one at Sam's Club for $228??

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-1-soundbar-home-theater/prod11020960.ip?navAction=

Yea I decided not to get the Woot deal. I can;t get the sam's club one though bc I'm not a member and it's sold out online. So I would have to go get a membership and then pay tax as well.

post #551 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yea I decided not to get the Woot deal. I can;t get the sam's club one though bc I'm not a member and it's sold out online. So I would have to go get a membership and then pay tax as well.

Call Best Buy and have them price match Sam's club (just make sure the item is in stock at a nearby Sam's Club).

That's how I got my soundbar.

TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

post #552 of 862 Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks I will try calling them tomorrow
post #553 of 862 Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 AM

My son bought his at Sears and they price matched Sam's Club...that way you don't need a membership.

post #554 of 862 Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I have a Vizio M601d TV, all inputs going to my TV and passing through to this sound bar via optical cable. I get DTS and Dolby Digital on all inputs (so it definitely is passing it though the TV). I had to change my TV output form PCM to bitstream to get the cable box and xbox working. Getting the PC (hooked up to tv via HDMI from a ATI video card) was the challenging part. The video card only reads the TV as stereo capable and the output was being limited to stereo. I mostly use MPC-HC to watch videos, so to get the audio working i installed AC3 filter http://www.ac3filter.net/ and configured it to use SPDIF passthrough for DTS and AC3 set to 5.1 surround. This immediately got me DTS and Dolby Digital lights to show up from PC > HDMI > Vizio M601d > optical > s4251w .
post #555 of 862 Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyl0x View Post

I have a Vizio M601d TV, all inputs going to my TV and passing through to this sound bar via optical cable. I get DTS and Dolby Digital on all inputs (so it definitely is passing it though the TV). I had to change my TV output form PCM to bitstream to get the cable box and xbox working. Getting the PC (hooked up to tv via HDMI from a ATI video card) was the challenging part. The video card only reads the TV as stereo capable and the output was being limited to stereo. I mostly use MPC-HC to watch videos, so to get the audio working i installed AC3 filter http://www.ac3filter.net/ and configured it to use SPDIF passthrough for DTS and AC3 set to 5.1 surround. This immediately got me DTS and Dolby Digital lights to show up from PC > HDMI > Vizio M601d > optical > s4251w .

I have the 50" model tv with this sound system so surely mine is capable of dts then right??i don't get dts though
post #556 of 862 Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM

How do you guys have your surrounds placed? I have my bed up against the wall so I didn't know if I should put them on the side walls or on the back wall angled towards the bed.

post #557 of 862 Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

How do you guys have your surrounds placed? I have my bed up against the wall so I didn't know if I should put them on the side walls or on the back wall angled towards the bed.

I have mine mounted in the corners
post #558 of 862 Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I would suggest at the back wall angle toward bed.
post #559 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Rear surround speakers are highly directional. That means they should be aimed directly at the listener and preferably at ear level as well. Make you decision based on the info.
post #560 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Rear surround speakers are highly directional. That means they should be aimed directly at the listener and preferably at ear level as well. Make you decision based on the info.
Rear surrounds are the speakers that go behind the surrounds in a 7.1 setup. Those are of no concern to anyone with a 5.1 system. And surrounds are not always directional. Google "Klipsch RS-62 II" as an example.

post #561 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 AM

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the speakers that come with the Vizio sound bar, which I agree are directional. I have mine on speaker stands angled at the palce where we sit at ear level. I did have to turn the surround volume down and move the speakers a little further away from the couch. The sound was a little too close to be able to hear the other rear speaker.
post #562 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM

I'm using Time Warner cable as my source feed and have an optical cable from the cable box connected directly to the Vizio S4251W. A couple of questions...

1) What is the recommended output to select from within the cable settings? HDMI or Dolby Digital? PCM and Stereo are the other options, FWIW.

2) I find the "Dolby Digital" light illuminates briefly when I change to a channel but then disappears. I am going to assume this should remain illuminated therefore something is interrupting the actual DD 5.1 signal? I have performed the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the direction.
post #563 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post

I'm using Time Warner cable as my source feed and have an optical cable from the cable box connected directly to the Vizio S4251W. A couple of questions...

1) What is the recommended output to select from within the cable settings? HDMI or Dolby Digital? PCM and Stereo are the other options, FWIW.

2) I find the "Dolby Digital" light illuminates briefly when I change to a channel but then disappears. I am going to assume this should remain illuminated therefore something is interrupting the actual DD 5.1 signal? I have performed the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the direction.

The light is supposed to turn off after a couple seconds. Your options are Dolby Digital and HDMI? Try both and see if both illuminate one of the lights on the sound bar, of they do I would go with what ever sounds best. Have you tried connecting the optical to the TV to see if it can pass through the surround sound?
post #564 of 862 Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

The light is supposed to turn off after a couple seconds. Your options are Dolby Digital and HDMI? Try both and see if both illuminate one of the lights on the sound bar, of they do I would go with what ever sounds best. Have you tried connecting the optical to the TV to see if it can pass through the surround sound?

Yes, both options illuminate the light (briefly). Thanks for clarifying the temporary illumination is normal.

I have not attempted connecting the optical to the TV...what would the value be in doing that? HDMI from the cable box to the TV, and then optical to the sound bar...I'm trying to ascertain how that might be superior to running the optical direct from the cable box to the sound bar. Thanks for the enlightenment...I'm probably overlooking something simple.
post #565 of 862 Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, both options illuminate the light (briefly). Thanks for clarifying the temporary illumination is normal.

I have not attempted connecting the optical to the TV...what would the value be in doing that? HDMI from the cable box to the TV, and then optical to the sound bar...I'm trying to ascertain how that might be superior to running the optical direct from the cable box to the sound bar. Thanks for the enlightenment...I'm probably overlooking something simple.
No advantage and the audio signal might be worse since many TVs don't pass a 5.1 signal from their optical output. You are lucky, you only need and have a single audio source. People with multiple inputs like a Bluray player, Xbox, etc need to use the TV as a switching device for audio into the soundbar.
post #566 of 862 Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

If your tv can pass 5.1 from external sources, then might as well go from tv to soundbar. That way, you can plug additional devices (dvd/bd/gaming system/usb/etc) to your tv to all utilize the 5.1 sound.

Also, if your TV is a smart TV, you can have netflix/hulu/prime etc in 5.1 as well.

Even if your tv does not pass 5.1 from external sources, you can still get simulated 5.1 from other devices which is better than nothing.
post #567 of 862 Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

No advantage and the audio signal might be worse since many TVs don't pass a 5.1 signal from their optical output. You are lucky, you only need and have a single audio source. People with multiple inputs like a Bluray player, Xbox, etc need to use the TV as a switching device for audio into the soundbar.

So I have a question about this.  My set up is almost just as simple.  I have a Tivo Roamio and a BD player and a Harmony 650 remote to control it all.  If I connect each source to the to the sound bar, how do I switch audio inputs?  Do I program the remote to tell the Tivo and BD player to switch audio inputs or does that automatically happen with the sound bar?  I'm guessing there's nothing going from the sound bar to the TV at this point.  Sorry for the noob question.

post #568 of 862 Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM

On the Vizio remote you toggle between input sources. I am not familiar with how you program your Harmony remote with multiple soundbar inputs. Perhaps someone else can provide a better answer. Unless your Tivio & BD player use different digital connection types it is a moot point and you will have to connect one or both thru the TV.
post #569 of 862 Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwman26 View Post

So I have a question about this.  My set up is almost just as simple.  I have a Tivo Roamio and a BD player and a Harmony 650 remote to control it all.  If I connect each source to the to the sound bar, how do I switch audio inputs?  Do I program the remote to tell the Tivo and BD player to switch audio inputs or does that automatically happen with the sound bar?  I'm guessing there's nothing going from the sound bar to the TV at this point.  Sorry for the noob question.

You have to program your harmony to switch the inputs on the bar, it won't auto switch like my previous Sony soundbar. . With the harmony software, to program the remote, you will enter the Vizio soundbar. When you go to the actions to setup say, play your blue ray player. You will tell it which devices it uses TV, Blue Ray Player, sound bar , then it will ask you what input the sound bar will need. For the sound bar just pick optical, or whatever and it will select it automatically. harmony1.jpg 87k .jpg file harmony2.jpg 68k .jpg file

For me I have everything hooked up to my TV and only one input to the soundbar which is optical. I do have it switch when I use bluetooth from my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harmony2.jpg (67.5 KB, 11 views)
post #570 of 862 Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Apart from power consumption, are there any disadvantages to leaving the subwoofer on at all times?  

TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page