Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 854 Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianpaul View Post

Hey guys, i have a question. Sorry if this has been asked already.

RIght now i have a surround sound running through a receiver which is connected to the tv through HDMI.

I have a cable box, xbox, and a blu ray player hooked up the receiver, also looking to hook up my record player as well. 

I bought this surround system to replace what i currently have. Do i need to get rid of my receiver and run everything directly to the tv? 

I tried to run the surround sound through the receiver, but cant figure out how to do it at all.

Thanks, Paul

Edit, never mind, I wrote the wrong thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 854 Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 AM

Ok, so I believe your receiver will be out of this now. Your new switcher will be the hub of all your hdmi components. Bring the hdmi out from the switcher to the TV. Bring the optical out from the switcher to the sound bar. Bring the analog outs from your record player (turn table?) into the analog inputs on the sound bar. Set your TV to external speakers. That should just mute the TV speakers as you won't be needing them. Hope it works out!
post #753 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I picked one of these up at Costco a couple of days ago. Have it connected directly to a blu-ray player via optical. Do not have it connected to the TV at all, so no input switching. Everything seems to work fine, except perhaps for one issue. When a bd begins loading, I turn on the Vizio and am greeted by a very loud pop? Is this normal?
post #754 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Hello, I picked one of these up at Costco a couple of days ago. Have it connected directly to a blu-ray player via optical. Do not have it connected to the TV at all, so no input switching. Everything seems to work fine, except perhaps for one issue. When a bd begins loading, I turn on the Vizio and am greeted by a very loud pop? Is this normal?

No not normal; a least for me. It could be the BD player but I would exchange the sound bar for another one.
post #755 of 854 Old 06-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Quick video I did.
smb2886 likes this.
post #756 of 854 Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 AM

Edit, never mind. Playing fine.
post #757 of 854 Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 AM

I apologize for the late reply, but i still cant' get true 5.1 to work over optical on my vizio e601-a3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcurley View Post

-If your computer doesn't have an optical audio out, you can use a device like this: http://amzn.com/B00AHS8LD8 But this is typically used on the same port that you are getting video from. I don't know if it would work on an extra HDMI port.

-Most of my devices send 5.1 to my TV (m701d), and that passes through the 5.1 to my soundbar via optical. Unfortunately, my PC doesn't work as easily. First check to see if windows recognizes a 5.1 speaker set up in control panel. Most likely your TV is reporting to windows that it only has 2 speakers (via EDID) and thus your PC is only sending out 2.0 audio. I've found that blurays and movies can output 5.1 on my PC if I manually set them to, but games are hit or miss. A device like the one I linked to may be able to help because it has a switch to change the EDID to report 5.1, but I haven't tried it.

How do i change my control panel settings to 5.1? tried browsing around but couldn't find a definite answer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

See if your Vizio TV lets you set the sound like CNET did here:

"Lastly, it's worth mentioning that in order to enable 5.1 output on a Vizio, you have to change the "Digital Audio output" option to Dolby Digital; it doesn't pass-through 5.1 signals properly by default."

http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

yes i've tried that to no avail..

thanks guys!
post #758 of 854 Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by verismo View Post

I apologize for the late reply, but i still cant' get true 5.1 to work over optical on my vizio e601-a3
Maybe your Vizio isn't passing 5.1 even when set to Digital Audio Out. I know my older high-end XVT only passed 2.1. Then again it could be the material, all PBS Digital is 2.1. Try directly connecting to the Soundbar to verify/compare. Good luck.
post #759 of 854 Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you need to set the Vizio to "bitstream" in the audio menu....
if that's an option on your set...

StayThristyMyFriends
post #760 of 854 Old 06-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verismo View Post

How do i change my control panel settings to 5.1? tried browsing around but couldn't find a definite answer..

Yeah thats the problem. If you don't see 5.1 listed in the speaker control panel like this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/get-high-definition-sound-and-music-from-your-computer
than it means that the TV is sending via HDMI EDID that it is only capable of stereo.

Are you just using your PC or do you have a separate bluray player/streaming device? Those devices are usually able to force 5.1. Also, I noticed that PowerDVD on the PC was able to force 5.1.

Its my understanding that the Vizio E-series should be able to pass 5.1 to the soundbar via optical.
post #761 of 854 Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
My apologies for not finding this information on a search but how long are the cables that connect the satellite speakers to the subwoofer and is there a way to extend or get longer cables without splicing them?

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #762 of 854 Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM

okay just bought a bluetooth dongle and can't ind it listed under devices in my pc. is it not possible to redirect pc audio to this soundbar via dongle?

update...bluetooth services wasn't started in windows...so got it connected, but the audio stutters and is slow....tried mp3 as well as youtube....
post #763 of 854 Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

My apologies for not finding this information on a search but how long are the cables that connect the satellite speakers to the subwoofer and is there a way to extend or get longer cables without splicing them?
I think I've read 12'. It's typical rca connection so I would think that a female /male rca wire, or a male/male with a double female rca adapter in between would be fine to extend the distance to whatever you need.
post #764 of 854 Old 06-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave199 View Post

I think I've read 12'. It's typical rca connection so I would think that a female /male rca wire, or a male/male with a double female rca adapter in between would be fine to extend the distance to whatever you need.

Thanks. That's what I thought (on the connection type). It might not be ideal because the ceilings are really high and open. I don't have any way to hide the wires.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #765 of 854 Old 06-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Oh are you the guy from the other thread too? Anyway, this type of stuff- http://www.homedepot.com/s/hide%2520wires?NCNI-5

post #766 of 854 Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerity View Post

okay just bought a bluetooth dongle and can't ind it listed under devices in my pc. is it not possible to redirect pc audio to this soundbar via dongle?

update...bluetooth services wasn't started in windows...so got it connected, but the audio stutters and is slow....tried mp3 as well as youtube....

how far away is your pc from the soundbar?
post #767 of 854 Old 06-09-2014, 03:13 PM

not far....roughly 12ft i would say?
post #768 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM

The 54 Incher in Available

FYI. Amazon now has the VIZIO S5451w-C2 54-Inch 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar listed as available for immediate ordering. Wonder if it sounds better and how many HDMI ports they ultimately added. I believe the latest Sony has 3 HDMI inputs.
post #769 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
FYI. Amazon now has the VIZIO S5451w-C2 54-Inch 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar listed as available for immediate ordering. Wonder if it sounds better and how many HDMI ports they ultimately added. I believe the latest Sony has 3 HDMI inputs.
There's a picture. Looks like one HDMI IN, one HDMI out, plus a USB port.

Question is, is it worth more than double the cost of the 42'er? Sam's Club is selling that version now for $218.
post #770 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 PM

The websites have had pictures & info on the "soon to be released" 54 incher. I'm just hoping Vizio enhanced the final shipped product. I guess we will know as people buy the product. I really need 3 HDMI inputs.
post #771 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple questions for those with this sound bar:

1) How long is the sub's power cord?

2) Any suggestions or links to a sound file I can play to use to manually adjust/balance the speakers? I'm used to my Denon AVR that has an included mic and automatically does this. Don't mind doing it myself but I assume it would be helpful to have a file that specifically sends tones or static to specific isolated channels and the sub one at a time. Must but something out there for that.

Thanks.
post #772 of 854 Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 AM

I'm gonna guess the power cords are 3'. They are not long. As for speaker adjustment, I think you'll find adjusting by ear will be easy enough. There is no control for the front bar L/R speakers. There is only volume control for the center channel in the bar. As well, there is bass/treble control for the bar itself. The rear speakers have volume control which adjusts both rear speakers at the same time; paired. There is balance control for them, which will bring up either side incrementally louder, such as panning left or right. That can help with odd seating arrangements. And the sub volume can be adjusted. That's it really. It's enough control to dial in, I think. Frankly I have everything almost at default. I dropped the bass one notch and up'd the treble one notch. I up'd the center channel one notch. And I balanced the rears a notch or two to the right side for my seating configuration. For movies I enable true volume and for tv programming I disable it. I doubt any kind of speaker test files would gain you anything more than a day or so of listening to material and adjusting what you can by ear. The sweet spot for all material is doable and not too far off from default, I have found. I probably noodled with aiming the rear speakers the most, to get them firing as best I can for all seating positions so they aren't too directional and so they help widen the front bar L/R as much as possible- a sort of widened sweet spot. If I could, I'd put the rears up higher than my speaker stands allow.

Last edited by Shockwave199; 06-13-2014 at 01:23 AM.
post #773 of 854 Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anyone who is running the optical from soundbar to tv could you please tune in to the nba finals on abc and see if your soundbar has a slight hiss/static sound when the fans cheat loud?? My volume is on the 5th bar and all settings are default with tru vol off except I have my sub up 3 notches just trying to fig out if it's my bar or the channel or maybe my cable box
post #774 of 854 Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Anyone who is running the optical from soundbar to tv could you please tune in to the nba finals on abc and see if your soundbar has a slight hiss/static sound when the fans cheat loud?? My volume is on the 5th bar and all settings are default with tru vol off except I have my sub up 3 notches just trying to fig out if it's my bar or the channel or maybe my cable box
I am watching the game OTA. I don't think I notice any static of hiss from the sound bar.
post #775 of 854 Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

True 5.1?

I am using this soundbar with a Vizio M801D-A3. The Vizio TV is connected via optical cable and the TV is capable of passing true 5.1 and is setup to bitstream. I used an Oppo 103D player also set to 5.1 bitstream and ran the Spears & Munsil calibration disc which also has audio calibration tests. I ran a couple different tests that send signals that are supposed to be isolated to each different speaker... But when I ran those tests the soundbar utterly failed. While sound did come from the surround speakers and subwoofer, it was not isolated. If I selected surround right, for example, you would hear a muttled faint sound from the rear right surround speaker but a much louder clear sound from the right side of the main soundbar. When you run the subwoofer-only tone you get nothing -- though you do hear the subwoofer providing base with soundtracks in general.

Is there something wrong with this setup? Or is the 5.1 not doing true separation and relying on the front speaker to partially simulate/enhance the rear speakers?

Last edited by Citivas; 06-17-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #776 of 854 Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I am using this soundbar with a Vizio M801D-A3. The Vizio TV is connected via optical cable... ls there something wrong with this setup? Or is the 5.1 not doing true separation and relying on the front speaker to partially simulate/enhance the rear speakers?
To verify its not a TV issue connect the Oppo directly to the Soundbar's optical input & rerun your test. On my Vizio the digital out offers options of PCM or Dolby Digital only. Also make sure the Soundbar is not set to simulated. Good luck.
post #777 of 854 Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
M602i-B3 with S4251W-B4 5.1 Soundbar

Has anyone got the Vizio M602i-B3 hooked up with S4251W-B4 5.1 Soundbar?

I have the TV hooked up to the Sound Bar via optical. And I have the PS3 connected via Hdmi to the TV.

When running the SmartTV Netflix app and playing a movie that has 5.1 sound, (example: Star Trek Into The Darkness), the soundbar glows the Dolby Digital logo to let you know 5.1 is passing through.

When running Netflix on the PS3 and playing the same movie above, the logo glows.

When playing a Blu-Ray disc on the PS3, no logo shows up on the sound bar. I usually try to get it to show if you hit "Input" once on the sound bar remote. It would double check itself and show you the glowing Dolby logo, but it didn't. Sometimes, if I hit Input to get it out of optical and then cycle the inputs around back to Optical, the glowing Dolby logo may show up, depending on what Blu-Ray movie.

So, I'm not sure if it's really passing True 5.1 sound.

A month ago, I had the PS3 hooked up to the soundbar directly via optical. When I did this, the Dolby Logo would always glow at the beginning. And if I clicked Input once to recheck itself, it would also show the glowing logo again.

Hope I'm clear. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and if it's really passing true 5.1 sound through hdmi to the devices.

You can watch here at the 15min mark to see the guy explain what you should see when your sound bar receives a 5.1/DTS signal.

post #778 of 854 Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drameddie View Post
Has anyone got the Vizio M602i-B3 hooked up with S4251W-B4 5.1 Soundbar?

I have the TV hooked up to the Sound Bar via optical. And I have the PS3 connected via Hdmi to the TV.

When running the SmartTV Netflix app and playing a movie that has 5.1 sound, (example: Star Trek Into The Darkness), the soundbar glows the Dolby Digital logo to let you know 5.1 is passing through.

When running Netflix on the PS3 and playing the same movie above, the logo glows.

When playing a Blu-Ray disc on the PS3, no logo shows up on the sound bar. I usually try to get it to show if you hit "Input" once on the sound bar remote. It would double check itself and show you the glowing Dolby logo, but it didn't. Sometimes, if I hit Input to get it out of optical and then cycle the inputs around back to Optical, the glowing Dolby logo may show up, depending on what Blu-Ray movie.

So, I'm not sure if it's really passing True 5.1 sound.

A month ago, I had the PS3 hooked up to the soundbar directly via optical. When I did this, the Dolby Logo would always glow at the beginning. And if I clicked Input once to recheck itself, it would also show the glowing logo again.

Hope I'm clear. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and if it's really passing true 5.1 sound through hdmi to the devices.

You can watch here at the 15min mark to see the guy explain what you should see when your sound bar receives a 5.1/DTS signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHmgSNliEw
You question makes perfect sense. Sounds like an HDMI issue, except you say Netflix via the PS3 shows Dolby 5.1. Realise some Blurays aren't 5.1 at the intro or opening credits. Also I guess you could double check your PS3 settings & try a different TV port.
post #779 of 854 Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
You question makes perfect sense. Sounds like an HDMI issue, except you say Netflix via the PS3 shows Dolby 5.1. Realise some Blurays aren't 5.1 at the intro or opening credits. Also I guess you could double check your PS3 settings & try a different TV port.
I'll test it again later. Actually, when I tried the Saving Private Ryan Blu-Ray, the opening Logo of the film, like THX or Paramount, or whatever it was, did show the dolby digital glow on the sound bar. But then during the movie or when the actual movie starts, I cycle through the inputs to make it come up again and it doesn't. Strange. This happened the same way to a few other movies I tried. I think BladeRunner the same thing happened.
post #780 of 854 Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcurley View Post
Has anyone tried the Disney WOW calibration disc with this? In the speaker identification section, I get all the channels discrete except the L/R rear speakers. I hear "Left Rear" and "Right Rear" out of both of them. This occurs both via direct coax (with DTS lit on the soundbar) from my bluray player and via optical passthrough on my m701d (without DTS lit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post
Yes I have noticed this as well and was going to post the same. I don't know if it is the WOW disc or the sound bar. Does any one know of a free speaker test file to test this out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
Same thing here to. Though I get discrete left and right rears when playing movies/games. WOW disc plays the rears as one channel for some reason.
Well, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, nice to see I'm not alone! Yeah, with a full 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS signal (passed directly from my computer or PS3 to the sound bar, no TV or anything else in the path and with the light showing up on the front of the bar), I get distinct left, right and center channels, but the surrounds seem to be combined together (though they're still distinct from the front channels, no crossover there), and this happens with every single test file I use. I do get something resembling left and right surrounds in movies and games, but it's not the true channels (I have another 5.1 setup that I test this with), more like an approximation, as though a mono signal were being sent to the rears and then re-expanded.

Is there anyone here who can successfully play test files or calibration discs with this and get true 5.1, or is that just how this bar works? Pretty disappointing if that's the case, since it doesn't feel like true 5.1 to me as-is.

Last edited by sethsez; 06-21-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page