Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 862 Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post
Will this work without the satellite speakers hooked up? Or will it try and send the rear sounds to the satellites, then since they're not hooked up you end up not getting that sound at all?

I'd just buy the 4221 but the 4251 is actually quite a bit cheaper right now through the end of the day. If it works just as well as the 4221 when the satellites aren't hooked up that would save a few bucks.
You don't need the rear speakers. My current set up in the living room doesn't really work with surround sound so we just took the rear speakers down. Works just fine without them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 862 Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Did you make sure to change everything from PCM to bitstream? When I play a game or something and like a grenade goes off behind me to my left I only hear it from my rear left speaker
Yep, it's all set to bitstream whenever possible. No conversion is happening. I linked some test files above if you want to see what I'm talking about... it does a decent approximation sometimes, but it never fully resolves distinct channels, and test audio is the best way to replicate that.
post #813 of 862 Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my Laptop, PS3, PS4 connected to this switch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SCB2Y and that switch outputs to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBHX072 that finally is connected to my LG 60LA62000 and the toslink from ViewHD to the S4251W.

PS3 and PS4 shows up DTS when gaming and I'm having a hard time finding 5.1 DD or DTS Blu-ray movies (tried Saving Private Ryan Jurassic Park, they all had DTS-HD)

But the one giving the most trouble is my Laptop, it will only see stereo and it sees only the LG TV that way in stereo, under the LG TV properties it shows for the Encoded Formats DTS Audio and Dolby Digital. Can anyone point or educate me in the right direction? Thank you!

Last edited by Jeimuzu; 07-16-2014 at 03:13 AM.
post #814 of 862 Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great thread, very helpful. I'm still stuck though. I can't get my sound to work properly.

I have a new Vizio razor E-series tv (audio set to Dolby Digital to allow audio pass through)
The Vizio S4251W soundbar (purchased yesterday 8/4/14 at Costco so I assume it's the right firmware?)
A PS3 (set to bitstream via HDMI)
A cable box (Charter)

Right now the PS3 is hooked up to the TV through HDMI. The cable box is hooked up to the TV via HDMI. The TV and soundbar are hooked together via optical.

It should all be working, but it's not. When I watch Netflix on the PS3 I get the Dolby Digital icon to light up. When I try to watch a BluRay I sometimes get Dolby Digital icon (like on menus), but when the movie actually starts I get no icon lights. I don't even get sound at all...unless I use the PS3 in-movie menu (trianlge button) and switch my audio to English2, but when I switch to English2 I only get sound from the soundbar. The satellites are silent. The movie is The Dark Knight Rises if that matters.

I also tried Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 on Bluray but same thing. Menus are in Dolby (soundbar only though), movie starts and it's silent. No DTS or Dolby icons light up. Sound DOES work in full surround if I switch it on triangle button audio menu from english1 to a different language...

I'm assuming I have something set wrong on the PS3. Currently I have the following boxes check marked on the PS3 sound setting through HDMI selected: (I've also tried other variations of checked boxes with no success)

Dolby Digital 5.1 ch
DTS 5.1 ch.
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
AAC
Linear PCM 2 ch. 44.1 khz
Linear PCM 2 ch. 48 khz

Unchecked boxes:
Dolby Digital PLus
Dolby TrueHD
18 variations of the Linear PCM khz through 7.1

Any help? I am assuming it's possible to configure correctly since the PS3 and TV are both set to just pasthrough the bitstream for the soundbar to decode....but something isn't right.

Thanks guys!

edit: sort of got it to work by going into the PS3 menu and unchecking everything I could except Dolby Digital 5.1. I don't get the dolby or dts icons to light up on the soundbar for blurays or netflix, but they both play in (simulated?) surround sound. Not sure if that is acceptable or just a cheap workaround.

Last edited by bman27; 08-05-2014 at 12:35 PM.
post #815 of 862 Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Vizio 5.1 Soundbar Dolby Icon light

Bman, I have the same exact problem as you and I had posted this in another thread. I am still dealing the same problem. Upgrading the soundbar firmware didn't work, which means I already have the new firmware.

But yes, putting in a blu-ray disc, the dolby icon lights up only in menus or at the opening production company logos. Usually, if you hit the input button on the soundbar remote once, you can get it to light up (that is how i test it) but it doesn't.

If i have the ps3 directly optical to soundbar, then the dolby icon light comes on.

Have no clue. Have you tried contacting vizio support online chat? I'm thinking of doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
Great thread, very helpful. I'm still stuck though. I can't get my sound to work properly.

I have a new Vizio razor E-series tv (audio set to Dolby Digital to allow audio pass through)
The Vizio S4251W soundbar (purchased yesterday 8/4/14 at Costco so I assume it's the right firmware?)
A cable box (Charter)

Right now the PS3 is hooked up to the TV through HDMI. The cable box is hooked up to the TV via HDMI. The TV and soundbar are hooked together via optical.

It should all be working, but it's not. When I watch Netflix on the PS3 I get the Dolby Digital icon to light up. When I try to watch a BluRay I sometimes get Dolby Digital icon (like on menus), but when the movie actually starts I get no icon lights. I don't even get sound at all...unless I use the PS3 in-movie menu (trianlge button) and switch my audio to English2, but when I switch to English2 I only get sound from the soundbar. The satellites are silent. The movie is The Dark Knight Rises if that matters.

I also tried Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 on Bluray but same thing. Menus are in Dolby (soundbar only though), movie starts and it's silent. No DTS or Dolby icons light up. Sound DOES work in full surround if I switch it on triangle button audio menu from english1 to a different language...

I'm assuming I have something set wrong on the PS3. Currently I have the following boxes check marked on the PS3 sound setting through HDMI selected: (I've also tried other variations of checked boxes with no success)

Dolby Digital 5.1 ch
DTS 5.1 ch.
DTS-HD Master Audio
AAC
Linear PCM 2 ch. 48 khz

Unchecked boxes:
Dolby Digital PLus
Dolby TrueHD

Any help? I am assuming it's possible to configure correctly since the PS3 and TV are both set to just pasthrough the bitstream for the soundbar to decode....but something isn't right.

Thanks guys!

edit: sort of got it to work by going into the PS3 menu and unchecking everything I could except Dolby Digital 5.1. I don't get the dolby or dts icons to light up on the soundbar for blurays or netflix, but they both play in (simulated?) surround sound. Not sure if that is acceptable or just a cheap workaround.

I own the Vizio M602i-B3.
post #816 of 862 Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drameddie View Post
Bman, I have the same exact problem as you and I had posted this in another thread. I am still dealing the same problem. Upgrading the soundbar firmware didn't work, which means I already have the new firmware.

But yes, putting in a blu-ray disc, the dolby icon lights up only in menus or at the opening production company logos. Usually, if you hit the input button on the soundbar remote once, you can get it to light up (that is how i test it) but it doesn't.

If i have the ps3 directly optical to soundbar, then the dolby icon light comes on.

Have no clue. Have you tried contacting vizio support online chat? I'm thinking of doing so.
Yeah I tried pressing the input button again to force it to tell me if it was doing DTS or Dolby and nothing lit up once I got past the Bluray menu. I don't understand why I was getting absolutely 0 sound from anything when playing BluRays, and non-surround sound on the BluRay menus.

Strangely, I can get everything to work beautifully if I directly connect the optical from the soundbar to the PS3, and use the orange plug digital coaxial cable and go directly from the cable box to the soundbar. Then I get Dolby icon for Netflix, DTS/Dolby icon for BluRay, and Dolby icon for cable television....BUT doing it that way is a mess with changing inputs on the soundbar and having to power off the soundbar or cable box to stop sound (instead of just turning off the tv in my original configuration). Also, the cable box to tv picture/sound is off a bit. I have a lip sync mode on the tv that might help, but it's already set at zero.

If/when you call Vizio CS please let me know what they say.

edit - update: tried some more and it appears that my brand new Vizio TV will only pass through Dolby Digital signals. If I turn on any DTS setting on the PS3 sound menu, I get no sound at all for blurays. If I turn on only Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus then I get bluray menus with the Dolby icon but actual bluray movies are in the pseudo surround sound mode (but at least they play on all the speakers!).

Not sure if this is true for all Vizio TVs but that makes sense since my TV menu passthrough setting for digital signal is PCM, Dolby Digital, or Off.

Looking more and more like I have just 2 options: live with the sound as is, getting pseudo surround sound for everything, or hooking up everything directly to the soundbar and having to hassle with juggling sound inputs.

Last edited by bman27; 08-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #817 of 862 Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Vizio response to 5.1 soundbar dolby light problem

First of all, the person didn't really know what I was talking about and after about 30 mins, he had to go speak to the higher techs to figure out the problem. This happened a few times. But below are the things they said and if anyone can shed some light on this and makes some sense out of it for us, that would be great.

"The reason why the LED light on the sound bar does not detect dolby digital when you have the sound bar connected to the TV is because the TV is not sending a dolby digital signal, the sound bar is. So the sound bar will not detect it on the TV because the TV does not send dolby digital audio."

I thought my M602i-B3 outputs 5.1 via hdmi. Why is it that it detects the light when it shows the company logos, for example the opening Warner Bro's logo from Man of Steel Blu-Ray. Light even shows up during the opening trailers of other films too.

"No, the TV does not have a Dolby Digital Setting."
"The sound bar is detecting that audio itself. "

So my m602i-b3 does not output 5.1 sound from any of the hdmi ports at all??

"Yes, it does output 5.1, but it is not Dolby Digital quality."

I ask again why does it detect it in the menus and company logos? After reaching the engineering team. This is the final answer:

"Okay, so the reason why the light does not appear when you have the sound bar connected to the TV is because there is no lag in detecting audio. The light only comes on when dolby digital audio is detected and then it flashes off. When the movie is transitioning, dolby digital audio may go out, so then the light will flash again when it is detected. On the TV, there is no lag time, so the light doesn't turn on when the movie is played. For the PS3, there is a lag, so that is why the light turns on when the movie starts playing. For some reason, the audio doesn't get detected as dolby digital anymore, so then the light needs to turn on again."

That is all. If someone can shed some light on what they say makes any sense.

Quote:
Yeah I tried pressing the input button again to force it to tell me if it was doing DTS or Dolby and nothing lit up once I got past the Bluray menu. I don't understand why I was getting absolutely 0 sound from anything when playing BluRays, and non-surround sound on the BluRay menus.

Strangely, I can get everything to work beautifully if I directly connect the optical from the soundbar to the PS3, and use the orange plug digital coaxial cable and go directly from the cable box to the soundbar. Then I get Dolby icon for Netflix, DTS/Dolby icon for BluRay, and Dolby icon for cable television....BUT doing it that way is a mess with changing inputs on the soundbar and having to power off the soundbar or cable box to stop sound (instead of just turning off the tv in my original configuration). Also, the cable box to tv picture/sound is off a bit. I have a lip sync mode on the tv that might help, but it's already set at zero.

If/when you call Vizio CS please let me know what they say.

edit - update: tried some more and it appears that my brand new Vizio TV will only pass through Dolby Digital signals. If I turn on any DTS setting on the PS3 sound menu, I get no sound at all for blurays. If I turn on only Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus then I get bluray menus with the Dolby icon but actual bluray movies are in the pseudo surround sound mode (but at least they play on all the speakers!).

Not sure if this is true for all Vizio TVs but that makes sense since my TV menu passthrough setting for digital signal is PCM, Dolby Digital, or Off.

Looking more and more like I have just 2 options: live with the sound as is, getting pseudo surround sound for everything, or hooking up everything directly to the soundbar and having to hassle with juggling sound inputs.

post #818 of 862 Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks for calling them and posting the results. It's very hard to follow exactly what they are trying to say, but it seems to me they are trying to tell us that it is Dolby, the soundbar just doesn't display it again after showing it on the menus because of some lag? That doesn't make a lot of sense though since it should show the Dolby icon again when you cycle through the soundbar inputs (which it doesn't). Or I'm completely off base and they are telling us it actually isn't Dolby anymore...I'm confused haha.

I ended up just using the digital coaxial directly from cable box to soundbar and the optical directly from PS3 to soundbar. I get full Dolby and DTS that way for everything and I'll just learn to deal with the extra button pressing on the remote when I switch from cable to bluray/netflix.

Quote:
First of all, the person didn't really know what I was talking about and after about 30 mins, he had to go speak to the higher techs to figure out the problem. This happened a few times. But below are the things they said and if anyone can shed some light on this and makes some sense out of it for us, that would be great.

"The reason why the LED light on the sound bar does not detect dolby digital when you have the sound bar connected to the TV is because the TV is not sending a dolby digital signal, the sound bar is. So the sound bar will not detect it on the TV because the TV does not send dolby digital audio."

I thought my M602i-B3 outputs 5.1 via hdmi. Why is it that it detects the light when it shows the company logos, for example the opening Warner Bro's logo from Man of Steel Blu-Ray. Light even shows up during the opening trailers of other films too.

"No, the TV does not have a Dolby Digital Setting."
"The sound bar is detecting that audio itself. "

So my m602i-b3 does not output 5.1 sound from any of the hdmi ports at all??

"Yes, it does output 5.1, but it is not Dolby Digital quality."

I ask again why does it detect it in the menus and company logos? After reaching the engineering team. This is the final answer:

"Okay, so the reason why the light does not appear when you have the sound bar connected to the TV is because there is no lag in detecting audio. The light only comes on when dolby digital audio is detected and then it flashes off. When the movie is transitioning, dolby digital audio may go out, so then the light will flash again when it is detected. On the TV, there is no lag time, so the light doesn't turn on when the movie is played. For the PS3, there is a lag, so that is why the light turns on when the movie starts playing. For some reason, the audio doesn't get detected as dolby digital anymore, so then the light needs to turn on again."

That is all. If someone can shed some light on what they say makes any sense.

Last edited by bman27; 08-06-2014 at 07:21 PM.
post #819 of 862 Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Tested Netflix app on PS3

Now that I think about it, what they say actually makes no sense. I didn't change my setup and all I did was this now: instead of playing a Blu-Ray from the PS3, I played a movie from Netflix app on PS3 and the dolby light icon shows up! so, WTF!?!?

Quote:
Thanks for calling them and posting the results. It's very hard to follow exactly what they are trying to say, but it seems to me they are trying to tell us that it is Dolby, the soundbar just doesn't display it again after showing it on the menus because of some lag? That doesn't make a lot of sense though since it should show the Dolby icon again when you cycle through the soundbar inputs (which it doesn't). Or I'm completely off base and they are telling us it actually isn't Dolby anymore...I'm confused haha.

I ended up just using the digital coaxial directly from cable box to soundbar and the optical directly from PS3 to soundbar. I get full Dolby and DTS that way for everything and I'll just learn to deal with the extra button pressing on the remote when I switch from cable to bluray/netflix.

post #820 of 862 Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM

I had the same thing happening to me. I *think* it's because Netflix is Dolby and the Blurays I tried are DTS. For whatever reason, I believe my Vizio TV only passes through Dolby audio, not DTS. When you try a Bluray no icons light up because it's trying to play DTS but your tv isn't passing through that audio. It's lighting up the Dolby icon on Netflix since that's what they broadcast in and your TV passes that signal through. I'm not very technical with this stuff so I could be way off, but that's the only way I could wrap my mind around what I was seeing happen to my own system when I tried the different configurations.

My tv is the Vizio E551i-A2 if it matters and I was doing Netflix through the PS3 app, not through the Smart TV interface.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, what they say actually makes no sense. I didn't change my setup and all I did was this now: instead of playing a Blu-Ray from the PS3, I played a movie from Netflix app on PS3 and the dolby light icon shows up! so, WTF!?!?
post #821 of 862 Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Is there a way to fix lip sync with this soundbar? I don't see anything in the soundbar menu. On the tv there is lip sync 0-3, but it's default is 0 and making the number bigger makes the audio/video even more out of sync.
post #822 of 862 Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheer19 View Post
You don't need the rear speakers. My current set up in the living room doesn't really work with surround sound so we just took the rear speakers down. Works just fine without them.
Doesn't it only output stereo only at that point, it won't even do any simulated surround where the soundstage seems wider? When I shut down the surround feature, the soundstage goes to practically one channel, very little separation at all. Other 2.1 soundbars with the fake surround mode end up sounding much better.
post #823 of 862 Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

A cable box (Charter)

Dolby Digital 5.1 ch
DTS 5.1 ch.
DTS-HD Master Audio
AAC
Linear PCM 2 ch. 48 khz

Unchecked boxes:
Dolby Digital PLus
Dolby TrueHD

Thanks guys!

Uncheck everything except for dolby digital 5.1 and dts 5.1. The soundbar cannot process DD trueHD or dtsHD Master Audio. Maybe that will help. I have my ps3 hooked up to vizio E series tv via hdmi and tv to soundbar via optical. I played District 9 on blu ray and both dolby digital and dts lights came on. Hope that works for you.
post #824 of 862 Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Tiki Master. I'm pretty sure I tried that a few days ago but it would only pass through Dolby. Any DTS bluerays were silent.

I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki master View Post
Uncheck everything except for dolby digital 5.1 and dts 5.1. The soundbar cannot process DD trueHD or dtsHD Master Audio. Maybe that will help. I have my ps3 hooked up to vizio E series tv via hdmi and tv to soundbar via optical. I played District 9 on blu ray and both dolby digital and dts lights came on. Hope that works for you.
post #825 of 862 Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Quote:
Hi bman27 and drameddie, don't know if this will help but check Audio Multi-Output is turned off on the PS3 found under Sound Settings menu.
post #826 of 862 Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 AM

Thanks JChin. I checked and I actually already have the Audio Multi-Output set to OFF.

And Bman, I also did have DTS icon light up in the past with Blu-Rays via PS3 optical to soundbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi bman27 and drameddie, don't know if this will help but check Audio Multi-Output is turned off on the PS3 found under Sound Settings menu.

post #827 of 862 Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 AM

Bman, try this:

I just tried this on Close Encounters Blu-Ray. In PS3 Sound settings, Audio Output settings, Manual, I checked everything except for any Linear that was not selected. Played the movie: Menu had sound and movie did not have any sound at all. No dolby/dts icon light at all.

I think changed the sound settings to Automatic, and it selected Dolby, linear, and some other one I forgot. Played the movie. Menu had sound. This time, the movie had sound at at Paramount logo, the Dolby icon flashed. Once movie started, hitting input didn't trigger the Dolby Icon to flash. But if you cycle through the inputs and then finally come back around to Optical Input, the Dolby icon will flash.

That's that. Don't know what that means. Don't know why setting the sound to have other formats triggers it to not work or even have sound at all.

post #828 of 862 Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM

Has anyone has an issue with the subwoofer level setting itself to max when the sound bar goes to sleep? It wakes up and the sub volume is max (Even though the LEDs indicate the sub level is zero'd out.... but its really at max unless I bump it up or down one notch and then it jumps to the level indicated by the LEDs)
post #829 of 862 Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Edelkamp View Post
Has anyone has an issue with the subwoofer level setting itself to max when the sound bar goes to sleep? It wakes up and the sub volume is max (Even though the LEDs indicate the sub level is zero'd out.... but its really at max unless I bump it up or down one notch and then it jumps to the level indicated by the LEDs)
Yep! I came to the forums to see if anyone was having this issue as well... It is quite startling when it happens in my small living room space. I hope there's some fix for it.
post #830 of 862 Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We recently switched from Comcast to DirecTV and received a $200 gift card for BJ's which is a wholesale club close to us. We are getting ready to purchase the Sony KDL65W850a LED HDTV. BJ's has this soundbar on sale for $229 and we are likely going to go with this one based on all the good reviews.

Components:
DirecTV Genie
PS3
Samsung BD Player

Currently using the DirecTV remote also. So I know we will plug the components directly into the TV via HDMI. Then we will connect the TV to the soundbar via optical.

There are two issues/questions that we have… one… What are most people doing for location of the sound bar? We will have our components likely in a column off to the side. Where does the soundbar go?

Second issue is the rear of the room. It's an open floor plan that's just not conducive for rear speakers with the wires running from one speaker to the next. We have pets and also a three-year-old that likes to grab everything so it just doesn't seem like it's a good idea. There is a space over behind one of our chairs that we could put the subwoofer and one speaker or both speakers but I wonder if that kind of defeats the purpose. It would be nice to always have some sound in the rear of the room even if it's not on the outside of our sitting area, correct?

The other option is possibly to put the sub woofer in the corner behind the chair and just put the two speakers on the table between our two seating areas… The speakers will be in the middle of us but at least we would have sound in the rear of the room where we sit. Is this a good idea or no?

Pics of the corner area and also the middle table below. I suppose technically we could set the speakers on a wall mount but then we have to run a wire down the wall and it just seems like it would look kind of bad with exposed wires.

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to best set up the speakers? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by KonaBound2010; 08-14-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #831 of 862 Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Liked: 14
Personally I'd put the sub under the lamp table between the sofa and chair. Using speaker stands and running the wires under the sofa & chair, I'd place the rear speaker on the outside of each. In front of the column by the sofa and in the corner by the chair. IMHO. Good luck.
post #832 of 862 Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrophite View Post
Yep! I came to the forums to see if anyone was having this issue as well... It is quite startling when it happens in my small living room space. I hope there's some fix for it.

Glad im not the only one. I think some1 else earlier in the post mentioned it too. After I reset the bar its fine for a while, i'm trying to track down what exactly is causing it. Do you use DTS Truvolume....1st noticed it after turning on truvolume. I'll do some testing and see if i can isolate what causes the issue to crop up. Any1 else notice this? Its the only issue ive had, otherwise im quite impressed.
post #833 of 862 Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Personally I'd put the sub under the lamp table between the sofa and chair. Using speaker stands and running the wires under the sofa & chair, I'd place the rear speaker on the outside of each. In front of the column by the sofa and in the corner by the chair. IMHO. Good luck.
This is the way i have mine set up and it works great.
post #834 of 862 Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks man...definitely something to consider..
post #835 of 862 Old 08-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The rears can also be wall mounted, which might be a little safer with pets/kids running around potentially knocking over speaker stands. Possibly mount one on the outside pillar by the sofa and the other on the wall somewhere above the chair? (I'd put the sub under the lamp table like Naustin suggested)
post #836 of 862 Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What's to the right of the single chair, if you're facing the couch and that chair? Ideally you'd want to put one outside of that single chair to include that listener in the joy too. Otherwise the triangle will be confined to the couch listeners. You don't have an ideal setup. Few do, not even me. But the idea is to get every seat in the room in on it, if possible. I have my sub between the end of the couch and the wall. It's mostly non directional and does fine like that, which puts it a bit away from directly under foot. Like you, I could have chosen to put it under an end table between the couch and the love seat, which would put it right under us as we tend to sit closest to the end table with the lamp. Our seating is an L-shape. I'm not exactly sure I'd want it right next to me under that end table. That's a little too close I would think, but I haven't tried it. Good luck to you.
post #837 of 862 Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Also just to give my thoughts after having one of these fail after four months, and a replacement from vizio in line for about two weeks- it's a finicky system. If people have a perfectly working one without any issue whatsoever, I'd attribute that to a well matched TV, cable box, and some luck that the sound bar itself is...sound. But it sounds so darn great, it overshadows the infrequent hiccups and quirks. But in my experience thus far, it is not a perfectly functioning system all the time. I really think it's in need of more firmware work, but I have no confidence at all that vizio will ever do so. Outside of some speaker differences between this one and the 54", I'd bet the firmware is identical. It's just a question of time before the quirks with the 54" start to mirror those of this one. But still, it's spoiled me. I went without for a week waiting for my replacement. You can't go back once you have this system. The rears absolutely make this a stand out. Heck, even I get the hiccups once in a while.
post #838 of 862 Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Edelkamp View Post
Glad im not the only one. I think some1 else earlier in the post mentioned it too. After I reset the bar its fine for a while, i'm trying to track down what exactly is causing it. Do you use DTS Truvolume....1st noticed it after turning on truvolume. I'll do some testing and see if i can isolate what causes the issue to crop up. Any1 else notice this? Its the only issue ive had, otherwise im quite impressed.

I've done some further investigation on the subwoofer level changing...

FWIW I use the optical input. If I make an adjustment to the subwoofer level and then turn off the soundbar (or just let it go to sleep on its own) when I turn it back on the subwoofer level is then "reset" to a higher level (seems to be close to max).

I can test this over and over:
1. Set sublevel to a lower level or all the way down
2. Power off sound bar
3. Power off TV
4. Power on TV
5. Power on soundbar and the sublevel is then back to a higher level (max or close to it)

Odd thing is when you adjust the sub level on the 1st click the LEDs show where you previously set it (all the way down in the test case). But as soon as you actually make an adjustment up or down one notch the subwoofer level then jumps way down to the desired level.

So I got another from costco...and it does it too.... so does a 3rd from Walmart. So I've tested 3 that all do it.

My workaround is to enable night mode and set the subwoofer level to max (it stays put). The bass is about perfect....probably equal to night mode off with the sublevel about 1 notch above default.

If I could find another bar in the $230 range that sounded this good Id be all over it. For the price there is no denying this quirky thing sounds good...

Whatever.... Go Vizio....

any1 else? ...or am I just 3times unlucky?

Last edited by Scott Edelkamp; 08-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
post #839 of 862 Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 PM

It's probably inherent behavior. Not the right behavior, but inherent. It's hard to nail down some things like this. My first one with the newest firmware, I could turn eco mode on or off and it worked. If I turned it off, the bar would stay on full time. My newest one here, eco mode is on regardless. There's no turning it off. I haven't messed with a firmware update because I don't think it needs one- I don't really have the specific symptoms that the newest firmware addresses. At least, not nearly all the time. Why then should eco mode be screwy from one bar to the next? Just plain odd.

Funny enough, I like the default level of the sub. I have never turned it down or up. It's the one thing that is perfect at default for me, so I wouldn't know. But that's a good work around you do there! You could also just keep the bar on full time and of course any setting would hold. For all of my knit picking with this thing, it behaved perfectly all day today. This system makes everything tv, awesome. All things considered, I'd still recommend it highly.
post #840 of 862 Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Is there a way to fix lip sync with this soundbar? I don't see anything in the soundbar menu. On the tv there is lip sync 0-3, but it's default is 0 and making the number bigger makes the audio/video even more out of sync.
I've found that if I turn the soundbar on first before anything else I have lesser lip sync issues. My sync issues usually occurred on 5.1 content though - I have my Xbox One sourcing the sound bar via optical since my TV doesn't do true 5.1 output over optical.

Not really a true "fix" but I don't think there are any settings to correct it otherwise.

Last edited by Detonation; 08-18-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page