Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 897 Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I demoned this at a friends house and was very impressed with how loud it played. That said I suggest it to all my friends who ask me for sound bar suggestions.

The cheapest I saw it for was $240 at costoco last year. Walmart has it on blackfriday deals for 198$ went on amazon today and they have it for 199. Worth every penny.

Got it for my parents for christmas its ideal for someone like them looking for a simple setup thats easy to use and has blue tooth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 897 Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Citivas - you said that Vizio TV passes "full 5.1 digital stereo ... out (the) Optical (Cabke connection)". Am I understanding this correctly?
Can you say where this is stated in the Vizio specs? I am trying to learn all this "stuff" and it is slow going.
Thanks. Cvt
post #873 of 897 Old 11-25-2014, 01:36 PM

I am convinced that the audio lag comes from the TV. I have a Stein hauser remote headset and had it on the 55M audio L/R RCA jacks. In that configuration the lag was obvious (and awful). Then I move the headset to our Cable Box L/R Audio Out jacks. Immediate relief. Lag is 90/95% _gone_. This is a good thing. But ... why is there any lag at all???
Can anyone tell me why the lag is present? Makes no sense to me.
post #874 of 897 Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about picking this unit up. Quick question.......do you have to have the remote to change the levels of the speakers?
post #875 of 897 Old 11-26-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
.......do you have to have the remote to change the levels of the speakers?
You should be able to program the soundbar to recognize your TV's remote codes. (VOLUME & MUTE ONLY THOUGH. Unit powers ON when volume up is pressed & powers OFF after 5-10 minutes of silence)

The Vizio does not recognize Fios codes, but did recognize my TV's codes. YMMV
post #876 of 897 Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 AM

Can you adjust each speaker level from the soundbar itself or do need the remote to that?
post #877 of 897 Old 11-26-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You will need the Vizio remote for anything but the main volume.
post #878 of 897 Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone.

Just got this soundbar. The $199 Amazon sale made me bite. Unfortunately I think I jumped in too soon. I feel entirely lost when it comes to home theater audio, and definitely have some questions.

This is how I have the 5.1 system set up right now. HDMI from PS4/cable box/etc going into Panasonic TC-P50U50 plasma, toslink out of plasma into soundbar. Before I got the unit I thought this would work great and I would get true 5.1... unfortunately now I know that my TV downmixes 5.1 to stereo. There is a drastic difference from watching a bluray with toslink directly from PS4, and from watching it with toslink from TV.

This leads me to my main question, what is the easiest way for me to get true 5.1 audio out of my devices? I did some digging around and found this monoprice HDMI switch (Monoprice Product #: 5557. Can't post links... too new). It looks like it can do the job (stripping the 5.1 signal out of HDMI and then running toslink from the switch to the soundbar), but I honestly have no idea.

What are your thoughts? Am I on to something here, or am I entirely off base? Any help that you guys can provide is tremendously appreciated. Thanks!
post #879 of 897 Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 AM

I am having similar problems with Bright House's (TWC by another name) Cable Box. Cable Box is a Cisco Explorer 8642HDC. I have a Bright house Tech coming out tomorrow to check the box. What would give me the warm-and-fuzzies at this point is a reading off the HDMI and/or Optical Out that says "Yes _this_ is 5.1 audio". I don't see that happeningšŸ˜•.
Currently my setup is HDMI for Video ONLY from Cable Box to TV (TV speakers are off) and Optical from Cable Box to Sound Bar for Audio.

I also have a Sony DH550 reciever that will accept the HDMI, split the sound off and send video to TV. Too finish that setup I am waiting on 2 small tables (hate those bent tubing speaker stands) where the rear speakers will live. Also like your suggestion of the HDMI switch. Ideal solution would be a master MASTER ON/OFF controller that would set all these up and in the proper order to keep peace in the family (ie so wifie can't complain. I should live so long.)
post #880 of 897 Old 11-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Well that sucks. So if I lose or break the remote, I can never adjust the individual speaker volumes again? Unless I find a new remote somewhere? Also my TV is supposed to be able to output 5.1 and it sounds like it is but I get no digital or dts light. When I play my xbox one I also dont get a light unless I plug the optical cable directly to the xbox one then the lights come on. I have a sony kdl46ex500.
post #881 of 897 Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
Well that sucks. So if I lose or break the remote, I can never adjust the individual speaker volumes again? Unless I find a new remote somewhere? Also my TV is supposed to be able to output 5.1 and it sounds like it is but I get no digital or dts light. When I play my xbox one I also dont get a light unless I plug the optical cable directly to the xbox one then the lights come on. I have a sony kdl46ex500.

Get a harmony, I have harmony 800 and it work great!
post #882 of 897 Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Get a harmony, I have harmony 800 and it work great!
With the harmony you can enter the menu settings on the remote and adjust everything?
post #883 of 897 Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can find a replacement remote through Vizio or eBay.
post #884 of 897 Old 12-01-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm fairly new to this device, having just bought it, but one issue I've noted is that when connected via optical to my Samsung TV the sound will sometimes drop out. I haven't fully figured that out, but sometimes changing the volume brings it back and sometimes not. If it matters, the Samsung TV only outputs 2 channel from my HTPC source.
post #885 of 897 Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Just picked this up for 189.99 in-store at BJ's. Current setup is U-Verse STB being passed through my Xbox One via HDMI, then HDMI out to the TV. Audio is optical from the Xbox to the soundbar. The soundbar recognizes both DTS and DD (Each light comes on for a second or two.) when each is selected in the Xbox audio settings.

Another plus is Microsoft has released a beta feature for digital surround to be supported through the HDMI in. It's harder for me to tell if I'm actually getting a dolby signal because of the variances between channels & with the possibility of it being the artificial surround included in the soundbar.

Seeing as how I use my Xbox One as my media hub, this is basically (I prefer HDMI) the perfect solution.
post #886 of 897 Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Odalager I don't have the 42" Soundbar user guide in front of me so I'm guessing you mean the LEDS on the left end? So which one is the "DTS" and which is the "DD"?
Thanks.
post #887 of 897 Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
Odalager I don't have the 42" Soundbar user guide in front of me so I'm guessing you mean the LEDS on the left end? So which one is the "DTS" and which is the "DD"?
Thanks.
Well depending on the source, it'll either flash a DTS logo, or the words "DOLBY DIGITAL". They're located to the right of the LED array.
post #888 of 897 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

Seems like what the LEDs signify and where they are is vital information that a user could need. But what do I know, I'm not a "Dezineer".
post #889 of 897 Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

I've found the user guide and do not see mention of which LEDs light up to indicate DTS or DOLBY. Course on ours the far left LED lights up when power is applied and I did not see that mentioned either.
post #890 of 897 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Picked this up from Amazon for $199 and received it last night. We are using it in our bedroom with a 50" Samsung plasma. I'm very impressed and pleased with the sound. I'm running my Xbox 360 (used as a Media Center Extender) to it via Optical cable. I briefly streamed Star Trek Into Darkness from Amazon Prime and the 5.1 mix sounded fantastic. I also played some Pearl Jam and Billy Joel and it sounded just fine with music. My only gripe is the front sound stage is narrow, which I expected. Pretty happy with the purchase and the WAF is high (which we know is very important). This morning I programmed our Harmony 550 for it and it works great. This weekend I'll run a calibration disc to tweak the sound levels.

Quote:
I've found the user guide and do not see mention of which LEDs light up to indicate DTS or DOLBY. Course on ours the far left LED lights up when power is applied and I did not see that mentioned either.
When I power up my Xbox 360, "Dolby Digital" briefly lights up just to the right of the LEDs. For those of you running an optical out from your TV, keep in mind most TVs will not output DD/DTS and you'll just get a 2 channel mix. It's best if you run straight from the source.
post #891 of 897 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Well between the Sony STREET 55HD receiver that I have and the Monoprice gizmo I'm waiting on I should (he said, confidently) have an Audio path via HDMI from the cable box to the Soundbar that doesn't degrade the signal before it gets to the soundbar we shall see.
Waiting on the gizmo, a wall mount (for old TV) and the plant stands for the speakers to complete this project.
post #892 of 897 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Sony STR 55HD reciever. Spelling nanny strikes again.
post #893 of 897 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I looked at the quick start guide and it is not mentioned. I remember reading about it somewhere though--maybe a review???

Surprising it isn't mentioned.
post #894 of 897 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I'm having issues. My vizio is connected to a HTPC with an nVidia GT520 video card. The analog stereo outputs are obviously only 2 channel stereo, but the soundbar creates a virtual surround, right? So far that seems to be my best option, which is disappointing.

My digital coaxial is also seemingly only 2 channel stereo.

My HDMI out can be passed out of my TV via optical, but my TV converts the optical to 2 channel stereo.

So, I bought an HDMI to optical extractor. I hooked that up, and my HTPC recognizes that a 5.1 device is connected, but I can't get it to play right. It will show "digital" in the face plate for about 5 seconds, but on some sources (e.g. the Terry Bradshaw shingles commercial) I'm clearly not getting the center channel, because nothing he says is coming out of the speakers (just music).

What am I missing?
post #895 of 897 Old Today, 07:21 AM

Quote:
If you switch the input on the soundbar and then back to your optical/coax input, it'll flash the LED's for DTS or DOLBY if either is being correctly sourced. If neither flash and you're still getting surround sound, it's more than likely the simulated surround sound.
post #896 of 897 Old Today, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odalager View Post
Just picked this up for 189.99 in-store at BJ's. Current setup is U-Verse STB being passed through my Xbox One via HDMI, then HDMI out to the TV. Audio is optical from the Xbox to the soundbar. The soundbar recognizes both DTS and DD (Each light comes on for a second or two.) when each is selected in the Xbox audio settings.

Another plus is Microsoft has released a beta feature for digital surround to be supported through the HDMI in. It's harder for me to tell if I'm actually getting a dolby signal because of the variances between channels & with the possibility of it being the artificial surround included in the soundbar.

Seeing as how I use my Xbox One as my media hub, this is basically (I prefer HDMI) the perfect solution.
EXACT same setup i've been running for the past year with this sound bar. Getting both DTS and DD 5.1 and after a year of ownership still extremely satisfied. Its also nice having my Xbox control the sound by just saying "Xbox volume up/down".
post #897 of 897 Old Today, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Side note:

Does anyone occasionally get static out of the rear speakers? Every once in a while my rear speakers will have a static sound coming out especially during what I would assume is a high quality sound track (blu ray/xbox one/ps4). It doesn't seem to be related to bass or trebble from what I can tell and it only does it occasionally but seems to be consistent with certain audio tracks.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page