Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #961 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to make them aware of it, perhaps If others did also they would write new firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Harmony 650 has nice steps in its volume control
post #963 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
And it enables such steps with the Vizio?
post #964 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The type of remote doesnt matter, one volume step is one volume step if the Vizio is using its built in algorithms. A universal remote is sending the exact same IR signal, so the volume steps are the same.

The workaround has nothing to do with the remote. It involves using the analog input & using the analog volume control of the connected device(s)
post #965 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read threw the last few pages and didn't see anything, but is there a solid solution yet to lipsync issues?

I output to the bar through Optical via my TV (Panny ST60) and it happens a lot with my HTPC. It sometimes happens with the Netflix Viera App.

Unfortunately I only just started noticing it now, a year after buying it, so returning it is going to be difficult.
post #966 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 01:24 PM

Just chatted w/ them and all they suggested is power cycle. I asked if they had a bug report feature somewhere an they don't. They told me they'd pass it on to their engineers but I don't expect much of anything there. Also emailed their tech support about the issue lets see if this starts anything up. Really need others to pipe up on the issue for them to actually think there is a problem to fix.
Dave
post #967 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM

I can only report what I've seen and that is that the Harmony 650 volume steps are head and shoulders Better than what we are getting with are Cable Box Clickr 5 remote.
post #968 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 PM

When you program the harmony do you enter a code or do you use the host remote to program it?

Thanks
Dave
post #969 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 05:25 PM

The Harmony software sets up the remote via USB connection to the configuration that you set up. It is a little tricky though. I need to revisit ours with a definite block of time to concentrate on it. Won't happen for another week😐.
post #970 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 06:56 PM
pjp

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczolton View Post
This might be a silly question, but is anyone using an SPL meter to balance the center and surround channels? I ask because I attempted this with band-limited pink noise from DVE, and I noticed the center channel was at least 5db higher than the left/right channel. I have tried reducing the center channel, but I cannot reduce it low enough to bring it in line with the left/right channel. Am I going about this the wrong way?

I appreciate your input.
Not a silly question and I am seeing the exact same thing with Disney WOW disc. I was new to this thread and skimmed through all 900+ post without seeing any posts about setting the speaker levels.

Setting the speaker levels with an SPL meter makes a HUGE difference in sound, but I can't make any sense of it on this Vizio. The front left/right speakers are about 8 db quieter than the center -- even when I have the center level adjustment all the way to the minimum. The surrounds are also too loud (relative to front left/right) even when surround level is set to the minimum.

Does anybody have a solution to this -- 5.1 isn't really working when the levels are so far out of sync. I don't hear much directionality out of the front 3 speakers on the Vizio, which is not surprising given the speaker level mismatch.
post #971 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Same experience here. The only way around the issue is to run an analog signal via RCA to the soundbar & let the analog device regulate the volume.

The Vizios internal volume increments are just too steep for casual TV or late night viewing. What a shame to have such an easily fixable issue on an otherwise great product. Can't believe Vizio is unaware of this.
They are thoroughly aware of it, for a long time. It appears it will never be fixed. Maybe it's just plain beyond what they can do. But don't hold you're breath- it's been a long time now.
post #972 of 988 Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Not a silly question and I am seeing the exact same thing with Disney WOW disc. I was new to this thread and skimmed through all 900+ post without seeing any posts about setting the speaker levels....
Does anybody have a solution to this -- 5.1 isn't really working when the levels are so far out of sync. I don't hear much directionality out of the front 3 speakers on the Vizio, which is not surprising given the speaker level mismatch.
I now have the 54 incher which is a little better than the 42 but not nearly as well balanced as my old 5.1 AVR. My opinion is Vizio has set their systems so people "hear sounds" out of all speakers at all times. My 5.1 AVR system RARELY had any sound out the rear speakers, which is the way DD5.1 is supposed to work. Most people paid for rear speakers & expect to hear them, regardless of whether they should. IMHO.
post #973 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Oh I had done this. The problem is that the vizio remote steps are also very large. They are the same increment as my stb remote.

Dave
I wonder if it varies by TV remote code? On mine there's clearly a difference.
post #974 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I now have the 54 incher which is a little better than the 42 but not nearly as well balanced as my old 5.1 AVR. My opinion is Vizio has set their systems so people "hear sounds" out of all speakers at all times. My 5.1 AVR system RARELY had any sound out the rear speakers, which is the way DD5.1 is supposed to work. Most people paid for rear speakers & expect to hear them, regardless of whether they should. IMHO.
And this, I think, is the rationale for the uneven balance between C/Surrounds and L/R. Regardless, it is still perfectly accepatble given the price of this unit. Had I wanted something more configurable, I would have paid more.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
post #975 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post
I wonder if it varies by TV remote code? On mine there's clearly a difference.
Possibly, what code did you use? Oddly, my LG TV uses the same code as this Vizio remote.

Dave
post #976 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Possibly, what code did you use? Oddly, my LG TV uses the same code as this Vizio remote.

Dave
I don't remember the number, but it's one for a Samsung TV. I think it might have been the first one on the list.
post #977 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM

sorry, on what list?

Dave
post #978 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
sorry, on what list?

Dave
I'm sorry--I was thinking it was like those remotes you program in a number, but instead it's like the learning remotes where you aim your TV's remote at the sound bar and it learns the various commands. I've gone through both processes lately and was mixing up devices.
post #979 of 988 Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM

my uverse remote does take 4 digit codes. I may try a few Samsung tvs and see if the increments are better.

Dave
post #980 of 988 Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I suspect you are right that it is intentionally high at the normal settings, but it doesn't make the least bit of sense to me that it's not adjustable to level out for people that want that. The other thing about this is that, although the Vizio does seem to jack up the rear speakers so you can hear them, their settings on the front make it so you essentially can't hear the left/right in the front. There is no surround feeling on the front because the center channel is jacked up so high and the left/right are so low (even with center all the way down (there is no front left/right control)).

The Vizio seems pretty brilliantly designed in so many respects, so I'm genuinely baffled why they screw up the levels so bad and limit the level controls so that it isn't correctable.
post #981 of 988 Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM

A fix _might_ be a new Firm Ware for the Sound Bar. I have downloaded one for our SB. But having less than stellar results with the Vizio TV "pushed" Firm Ware I think I'll wait awhile before installing it. 😕
post #982 of 988 Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 AM
pjp

Quote:
A fix _might_ be a new Firm Ware for the Sound Bar. I have downloaded one for our SB. But having less than stellar results with the Vizio TV "pushed" Firm Ware I think I'll wait awhile before installing it. 😕
Thanks -- definitely would like to hear more about this. Is there a way to tell what firmware is loaded currently? I just bought my 42 about a month ago, so it should be fairly current (though it's obviously possible it may have been in stock for a while before I bought it).
post #983 of 988 Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What EQ settings are you guys using? right now I have everything at 0 other than sub at +1. With 5.1 surround sources (using my ps3), it seems that the front extremely overpowers the rear in terms of volume.
post #984 of 988 Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
are these the best bang for buck?
post #985 of 988 Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 AM

Looking at Vizio's info on the Sound Bar I do not find any way to read or display which Firm Ware is loaded.
I have not updated the Firm Ware on our Sound Bar. Have reason to - no audio drop out when changing channels on Cable Box. I am using Optical Out from Cable Box direct to the Sound Bar.
post #986 of 988 Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Picked one of these up for a decent price with my 65" P series, haven't had a chance to hook it up and test it with google fiber.
post #987 of 988 Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Google fiber? Where are you?
post #988 of 988 Unread Today, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
High Bass on Power-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrax View Post
Hi Scott

I have exactly the same issue but have found that even with NightMode on that the bass is still too loud. I contacted Vizio but they said they have not heard of this problem before.
Have you found any other solution for this?
I too have this issue. Every time I turn on my soundbar, the bass is always a level or two higher than it's supposed to be. A quick-fix is to turn off the soundbar and turn it back on again but this can get annoying, especially after paying a good amount of money for it.

I used to have an Insignia sound system that would occasionally do the same thing, and the fix was the same too. Maybe it's an intermittent problem with digital sound systems (or certain brands) in general? Either way, it's definitely an issue and one that is quite annoying. Anyone else have this problem? It may not even be noticed by some, especially if the sub-woofer is not close to where you sit to watch tv.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page