Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1020 Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Sorry to repeat the question, but can anyone confirm if they get distinct left and right surround channels with test audio?

Here's some links to some tests:

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/re...nnel_check.jpg
http://www.mysurround.com/en/info-test
http://www.wooferbasstest.com/downlo...1ch-sound-test

Each of these just play a sound effect out of one speaker at a time. With a true 5.1 setup playing these properly, there should be no crossover between any of the channels until the end when they all play at once. On my setup (and apparently I'm not alone here) the front three channels work fine, the sub works fine, but the surrounds are combined, and that's with a direct optical connection from a source that works perfectly on my other 5.1 setup and which lights up the Dolby sign on the soundbar. I'm wondering if this is an issue with our setups we're not seeing, if it's a problem that affects some of these, or if it's just an inherent part of how this works.
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to repeat the question, but can anyone confirm if they get distinct left and right surround channels with test audio?

Here's some links to some tests:

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/re...nnel_check.jpg
http://www.mysurround.com/en/info-test
http://www.wooferbasstest.com/downlo...1ch-sound-test

Each of these just play a sound effect out of one speaker at a time. With a true 5.1 setup playing these properly, there should be no crossover between any of the channels until the end when they all play at once. On my setup (and apparently I'm not alone here) the front three channels work fine, the sub works fine, but the surrounds are combined, and that's with a direct optical connection from a source that works perfectly on my other 5.1 setup and which lights up the Dolby sign on the soundbar. I'm wondering if this is an issue with our setups we're not seeing, if it's a problem that affects some of these, or if it's just an inherent part of how this works.
Quoting myself just to follow up on this... I called Vizio and asked about this behavior. Long discussion short, yep, this is working as intended. A mono signal is sent to the surrounds and then expanded to cut down on latency since it's a wireless connection. Because of this, using a true 5.1 signal is only somewhat better than using fake surround processing: it doesn't simulate what gets sent to the surrounds, but it still simulates what happens there.

Unfortunately for me, that means I'm going to be returning it. I really do like how it sounds on a technical level (at least as far as soundbars go), but I find fake surround effects using real surround speakers to be more distracting than involving, and that's the entirety of how this particular unit works. A shame, but hey, I'm glad it fits the bill for some people, even if it doesn't for me.
I know that this is a slight bump, but I picked up this system today to mate with my Vizio P series LCD.

When playing the "Test Patterns" video using the built in Netflix app (this video runs test patterns up to 4k but also tests for surround/discreet audio) I can correctly hear the test samples (it does left, right, center, sub, left surround, then right surround).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1020 Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got one, and my head is spinning. Right now I have my Vizio TV connected to the soundbar with toslink, but I am sure that is not going to work out. Will this work:

Soundbar ---> toslink hub ---> PS4/PS3/XBO
Cable box ---> digital coax ---> soundbar

That's going to the only real way to get 5.1 from everything, right?

Main - LG 65LM6200 3D TV | Vizio S4251w-B4 | Harmony 650 | PS4 | PS3 SS | Wii U Dlx | Xbox One
HD DVD Collection | Blu-ray Collection | DVD Collection
post #993 of 1020 Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake1028 View Post
I got one, and my head is spinning. Right now I have my Vizio TV connected to the soundbar with toslink, but I am sure that is not going to work out. Will this work:

Cable box ---> digital coax ---> soundbar

That's going to the only real way to get 5.1 from everything, right?
What kind of vizio tv do u have (model/year)? Most recent vizio tvs pass 5.1 thru their optical output. So u can connect everything to your TV via hdmi then connect optical/toslink from TV to soundbar. I have dish box, ps3, and ps4 set up this way with a 2014 M series vizio and I get 5.1 from every source.
post #994 of 1020 Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
pjp

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ckw0rk View Post
I know that this is a slight bump, but I picked up this system today to mate with my Vizio P series LCD.

When playing the "Test Patterns" video using the built in Netflix app (this video runs test patterns up to 4k but also tests for surround/discreet audio) I can correctly hear the test samples (it does left, right, center, sub, left surround, then right surround).
This is quite surprising since it seems many of us were unable to get discrete audio out of each channel with BluRay test discs. Also, there was a post here indicating Vizio support stated that the left/right surrounds were combined on the soundbar, so you the get the sum of the audio to both surround speakers rather than left/right discretely to each surround.

Were you able to adjust the levels to get uniform volume out of all speakers with the test signals?
post #995 of 1020 Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
This is quite surprising since it seems many of us were unable to get discrete audio out of each channel with BluRay test discs. Also, there was a post here indicating Vizio support stated that the left/right surrounds were combined on the soundbar, so you the get the sum of the audio to both surround speakers rather than left/right discretely to each surround.

Were you able to adjust the levels to get uniform volume out of all speakers with the test signals?
I tried the calibration portion found on The Incredibles Blu-ray disc and noticed that both rear speakers do play at the same time but one plays louder than the other. For instance if the sound is supposed to come from the left rear speaker, then both rear speakers make the sound, but the left rear speakers is significantly louder than the right and vice versa.
pjp likes this.
post #996 of 1020 Old 02-19-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki master View Post
What kind of vizio tv do u have (model/year)? Most recent vizio tvs pass 5.1 thru their optical output. So u can connect everything to your TV via hdmi then connect optical/toslink from TV to soundbar. I have dish box, ps3, and ps4 set up this way with a 2014 M series vizio and I get 5.1 from every source.
VO420E, it's around 6-7 years old at this point I think.

Main - LG 65LM6200 3D TV | Vizio S4251w-B4 | Harmony 650 | PS4 | PS3 SS | Wii U Dlx | Xbox One
post #997 of 1020 Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
VO420E, it's around 6-7 years old at this point I think.
Hmm I'm not sure about that model. Try going into the audio output settings in ur TV menu and see what the options are. For 5.1 output on the current tvs you need to select "bitstream".
post #998 of 1020 Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hmm I'm not sure about that model. Try going into the audio output settings in ur TV menu and see what the options are. For 5.1 output on the current tvs you need to select "bitstream".
Per the manual under the digital audio menu: The options are OFF, Dolby Digital and PCM.

post #999 of 1020 Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

I did not make any volume adjustments, and it would be difficult to as it's just a looping checklist. I recommend running it if you want to check it out.

Quote:
I tried the calibration portion found on The Incredibles Blu-ray disc and noticed that both rear speakers do play at the same time but one plays louder than the other. For instance if the sound is supposed to come from the left rear speaker, then both rear speakers make the sound, but the left rear speakers is significantly louder than the right and vice versa.
This is possible and I just didn't notice.

What I can advise as that a proper directional sound field exists (i.e things that you are supposed to hear to your rear left, you hear from your rear left. Things that you are supposed hear from the rear right, you hear from your rear right)

I was also able to test this playing GTA V on my PS4 via sounds from other traffic and pedestrians.
post #1000 of 1020 Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Per the manual under the digital audio menu: The options are OFF, Dolby Digital and PCM.
Choose dolby digital.
post #1001 of 1020 Old 02-20-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Choose dolby digital.
Thanks I will try that out tonight.

post #1002 of 1020 Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This sound bar looks amazing. But I think that Yamaha has made something better than this.
post #1003 of 1020 Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 AM
pjp

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_2015 View Post
This sound bar looks amazing. But I think that Yamaha has made something better than this.
What is attractive about the Vizio, at least to me, is the wireless sub feeding the satellites, because that form factor eliminates the need for front to back wiring in the room. Also, real 5.1 with rear speakers beats simulated surround by a wide margin in my experience.

That said, I think the audio quality is just OK on the Vizio (and on most soundbars frankly). Also, the 5.1 implementation is a quite weird on the Vizio because it combines the left/right signals on the surround speakers to at least some extent. The real 5.1 killer for me though is that it isn't possible to adjust sound levels equally because: 1) The 5.1 implementation is too weird to properly handle test signals for adjustment with an SPL meter; and 2) The speaker trim controls don't have enough range or control to balance levels with whatever limited test signals you are able to force through it.

I've had the Vizio for a few months and have yet to hear any left/right directionality out of the front soundbar for this reason (even with center channel level turned down to minimum). You might hear some directionality if you sit towards the front of the room, but from our back of the room viewing there is none (at least in our setup).

If you are a casual AV fan, the Vizio performance might be good enough and the form factor is GREAT. If you are hardcore A/V, it's limitations might frustrate you.

I'm not sure there are any other affordable soundbars that sound great, so I will probably dump the Vizio and replace it with a small true (non-soundbar) 5.1 system.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pjp; 02-20-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #1004 of 1020 Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Maybe try the 54 inch version for $299 at Costco currently.
Some reviews says it splits the left and right a bit more.
I might get that one since the 42 looks a bit small under the 65" tv
post #1005 of 1020 Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Choose dolby digital.
Didn't work. As soon as I go tv ---> soundbar via optical, even with the setting on Dolby Digital, I lose that functionaility on the soundbar.

post #1006 of 1020 Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have two problems with the soundbar.
1 - one of our house cat's loves to lick the fabric. (It's a cat, 'nough said😀.
2 the port faces right as I have it potion ed and wifie complains about too much bass.😀😀😮.
post #1007 of 1020 Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Didn't work. As soon as I go tv ---> soundbar via optical, even with the setting on Dolby Digital, I lose that functionaility on the soundbar.
What functionality are you losing?
post #1008 of 1020 Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
What functionality are you losing?
Legit 5.1. Hooked up directly from the XBO, I get the DTS and/or Dolby logo to flash when appropriate. Hooked up directly from the TV, I get no such logos.

post #1009 of 1020 Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Legit 5.1. Hooked up directly from the XBO, I get the DTS and/or Dolby logo to flash when appropriate. Hooked up directly from the TV, I get no such logos.
I guess your TV doesn't pass 5.1 via optical, which is weird cuz I thought the Dolby Digital setting would. I would try an optical switcher and see if that works.
post #1010 of 1020 Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 AM

I think I am just going to do what I said above:

naustin likes this.

post #1011 of 1020 Old 03-01-2015, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been having problems with this sound bar ever since I updated the firmware to 1017. The issue is when I fast forward thru commercials using my TIVO the "Dolby Digital" light does not come back on and it seems that it's back PCM. The firmware is correct when I checked the lights. Could my Optical Cable be broken causing this? Need advise.
post #1012 of 1020 Old 03-01-2015, 01:59 PM

I expect that if you broke an optical cable there would be no signal coming thru.
post #1013 of 1020 Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM

Liked: 1
Guys,
Maybe you can help me out. By the way, this thread is a great help.
I just purchased a Samsung 65 Inch 4k 3d Smart Tv. Also have the Vizio Sound Bar 5.1 Widest Model....
So in order to get the true 5.1 into the sounder, I bought a 4 HDMI Switcher... I have all 4 devices going into HDMI switch and one HDMI out into my Samsung's Arc... Seems to be working flawless....
All Volume controls of through sound bar, I'm getting DD and DTS Logos coming up on sound bar....

Next Challenge. I now want to watch some YouTube stuff, or as I type this, Im watching the Samsung UHD 4k Demo pack. Ive tried to load YouTube and now these Video's from the Samsung HardDrive Via USB3 Connection.
Problem is, Video is playing, but I can hear the audio from my cable box? What am I doing wrong? Seems like anything internal will not work.... Shouldn't the Arc Going from the Samsung TV back to the bar?

Thoughts??
post #1014 of 1020 Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Liked: 1
So I tried Optical, but I have to change inputs on the Vizio. Also not getting DD 5.1 out over Toslink. Though obviously the Cable box audio stops and I am actually hearing audio being played through TV on SB.... Why can't I use the arc? Thought it's bi-directional?? Shouldn't the Samsung deliver audio to the SB via ARC??
post #1015 of 1020 Old 03-02-2015, 05:21 AM

Are you watching the YouTube videos thru the Vision browser app on the TV? (FWIW_that_ browser confuses me.)
If it thru the Vizio browser you _may_ not have a choice. Perhaps Vizio, with infinite wisdom, crippled the browser output? And that audio must go through the TV speakers only??
post #1016 of 1020 Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM

There's an in depth article on how to get the most out of your Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar here:-

How to get the most out of your Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar

Some of the review is a bit long winded but there are some good tips that are not included in the user manual so its worth checking out.

Last edited by st24a; 03-03-2015 at 09:01 AM.
post #1017 of 1020 Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st24a View Post
There's an in depth article on how to get the most out of your Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar here:-

How to get the most out of your Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar

Some of the review is a bit long winded but there are some good tips that are not included in the user manual so its worth checking out.
What are these tips? To say it was long winded is putting it kindly...
post #1018 of 1020 Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Watched the video. Too long and the only thing I got from it is that _if_ you had the long Sound Bar (65"?) it has an HDMI input.
post #1019 of 1020 Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 PM

One odd thing. One of our (once) feral cats has fallen in love with the Sub Woofer. At least she loves to lock the fabric. Cheap thrill, no doubt.
I have covered the cabinet with 2 sheets of wide aluminium foil. AND ... now the cat freaks when the bass kicks in and the SW rattles the foil! Serves the little parisher right. Mess with my speaker system? We'll see about that 😈😈

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk.
pjp and naustin like this.
post #1020 of 1020 Old Today, 10:51 AM

Can some one please tell me the difference between the "2012 model" VS. The "2013 Model?

The Model Numbers ser EXACLY the same "S4251w-B4 "

Thank you!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page