Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1051 of 1073 Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
nxmehta

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnafides View Post
Thanks for spelling out additional instructions on how to reproduce this. I can do it 100% of the time with a TV connected to the sound bar via SPDIF by simply turning both off, turning the soundbar on, and then turning the TV on. I was on the phone with Vizio tech support earlier today (second time) and only after reproducing the issue with a different device would they acknowledge there was an actual issue. The previous tech basically blamed my television and hung up on me (or so I suspect).

The tech that I spoke to today said that this was not a widespread issue, and is going to send me a replacement. I know that the replacement will have the exact same problem, so I'm just treating it as one more step I have to go through before I can get a refund. Unfortunately I don't see any other competitors that offer 5.1 with wireless surround for a similar price, so it might be back to my ~15-year old Onkyo setup.
If by some miracle your replacement doesn't have this issue, can you post again?

So the tech you talked to knew about the issue, but said it was limited to a few devices? That's interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1073 Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxmehta View Post
If by some miracle your replacement doesn't have this issue, can you post again?

So the tech you talked to knew about the issue, but said it was limited to a few devices? That's interesting...
No, they didn't know about the issue, but acknowledged that I was having an issue (and that it wasn't just due to some incompatibility). I'll make sure to post here again either way.
post #1053 of 1073 Old 10-23-2015, 06:49 AM

I was just thinking, if the 54" version of this doesn't have the subwoofer issue maybe I can talk them into sending me one... anyone know?
post #1054 of 1073 Old 10-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We have the mid-size bar with the Sub Woofer and have not had that issue. I never did update the firmware on ours. Not sure I could hear any quality difference anyway.
post #1055 of 1073 Old 10-30-2015, 06:43 AM

So I just received the replacement subwoofer, and after a few tests I am not able to get the subwoofer volume to max -- it seems to be working properly. I'll post again in a few days to verify whether it is truly fixed.
post #1056 of 1073 Old 10-30-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
So I just received the replacement subwoofer, and after a few tests I am not able to get the subwoofer volume to max -- it seems to be working properly. I'll post again in a few days to verify whether it is truly fixed.
Sorry, I mean "replacement soundbar" (which came with another subwoofer as well).
post #1057 of 1073 Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Well, it must have been a fluke because the replacement definitely still has the same issue. Refund time...
post #1058 of 1073 Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had this soundbar since May, 2014. Connected to TV for broadcast programing via optical, and blu-ray player via coax. This allows me to receive DD 5.1 thanks to an OTA antenna, and DD or DTS 5.1 from discs. However, whenever I switch between outputs (digital 3 and optical 4) on the Vizio remote, the subwoofer goes bonkers. As in full on, needs to be adjusted. Not a big deal as I rarely use the Vizio when watching TV programs. Still, it's clearly a bug in the system. Another minor issue is the soundbar occasionally loses audio. Power light stays on and pressing volume controls increases/decreases the little white dots but nothing happens. Need to power off/on the unit and then everything works as it should.

All in all I've been pretty happy with this system, especially for the price. My previous soundbar was the original Polk Instant Home Theater. I think that one had better overall sound quality and better left/right channel separation, but dialogue clarity was inferior and of course it lacked the 5.1 goodness of the Vizio.
post #1059 of 1073 Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
pjp

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anybody shed any light on the firmware revisions? I'd like to know how I can tell what version I have (I bought it about a year ago) and what the differences are in the latest firmware version.

The issues I have with it are below. Does the latest firmware fix any of these?

1. The main issue I have is that the volume control is WAY too coarse -- almost to the point of being unusable. If I'm watching TV while my wife is sleeping, the 2 lowest volumes levels are essentially no sound or too loud -- I toggle back and forth but neither work. I'm hoping the firmware fixes this.

2. The other thing I REALLY don't like is that the the 5.1 implementation is weird and there are no test tones to set speaker levels (even using a AV DVD doesn't work). It would be nice if firmware improved this, but I'm not hopeful. Had I know about either this issue or the volume, I would not have bought this unit.

3. Like others have mentioned, I also occasionally lose audio for no reason, but it seems to come back if I temporarily switch to another station a. This one doesn't really bother me because switching channels usually corrects it.
post #1060 of 1073 Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Well, it must have been a fluke because the replacement definitely still has the same issue. Refund time...
Another update on the subwoofer volume issue... I called support again, and after explaining the entire situation twice (45-minute-long call was dropped, not sure why this keeps happening) I eventually got transferred to a Level 3 tech. Up until I actually talked to him they kept claiming it was a device-specific "handshaking issue", despite my repeated explanations that it happened with multiple devices on optical input, and multiple devices on Bluetooth.

He mentioned that they are going to try to reproduce it in their lab and will call me back tomorrow (we'll see). He even mentioned the possibility of a firmware fix! I am supposedly only dealing with Level 3 from here on out.

Everyone all the way up the chain insisted that they had never heard of this issue before. I made sure to repeatedly mention this thread as well as the relevant Q&A on the Amazon product page.

Stay tuned...
post #1061 of 1073 Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Created this account just to say I have the same problem with the subwoofer volume. I'll be watching this thread, thanks!
post #1062 of 1073 Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Well, not really good news. I received a call-back from Vizio support and they basically told me that they weren't going to fix the issue, and instead would try to get "approval from the warehouse" to send me the newest comparable model.

I told them that I'd just rather have a refund, and would just purchase the newer model myself. They again said they'd have to get approval from the warehouse. Since it was inside of a year I just decided to take it back to Costco and buy the new model, the SB4051-C0. I'm glad I did that because I'm still waiting for the "approval".

Unfortunately this soundbar sounds like absolute crap compared to the 4251. Bluetooth is broken and music sounds so bad I really have no idea how they are selling this thing.
post #1063 of 1073 Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still having the problem when using my TiVo premiere and fast forwarding through commercials I hear a popping/cracking sound and lose the Dolby Digital light and have to power off sound bar. This has happened ever since I updated firmware to 1017. Spoke to a high engineer with Vizio and TiVo was to blame not Vizio. Has anyone had any issues when using Dolby Digital with their TiVo?
post #1064 of 1073 Old 11-28-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Just set a 4251 up. I'm not sure if I'm getting sound from the sub woofer, even though I am getting sound from surround speakers. Does the sound bar have an internal test that isolates each speaker? I went through the menu and found nothing.

Edit: the sub woofer is working. When I put on bass heavy music I can hear it. But more questions

1/ Is the DTS light supposed to stay on? Reading some of the comments, seems like yes. But mine only goes on briefly when I switch the bar to the input and never goes on when switching channels or loading different movies. I'm connecting Samsung TV to bar via optical out. Samsung is set to external audio, DTS neo 2:5, which seems like best.

2/ my biggest disappointment is the sound bar itself sounds very thin. Lacking any bass or separation. So during talking scenes actors' voices are almost tinny and I can hardly tell if I'm using the bar or the tv speakers. Even the cheap $50 2.1 speakers I have hooked up to my PC sound better. More bass, more warmth in vocal. Only when surround kicks in with loud explosions and so forth does it feel like yeah I have a sound system. But then the surrounds and LFE overwhelm the bar and i can hear just how thin the center dialogue sounds.

I've tried bumping up the center, bumping up the bass. I've tried resetting. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, there's something wrong with my unit, or this is just how it is, in which case it's very disappointing.

Last edited by barth2k; 12-01-2015 at 08:23 AM.
post #1065 of 1073 Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Barth2k I feel your frustration. My results track along with yours. We bought our Soundbar to improve the audio so we could hear voice tracks (sc*** the sound effects and the horse they rode in on!). Wife and I are both disappointed with the results. Only good to it is that the Sub Woofer is closer to her chair than mine so I occasionally get a bit more comedy out of its use😈.
post #1066 of 1073 Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
pjp

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
2/ my biggest disappointment is the sound bar itself sounds very thin. Lacking any bass or separation. So during talking scenes actors' voices are almost tinny and I can hardly tell if I'm using the bar or the tv speakers. Even the cheap $50 2.1 speakers I have hooked up to my PC sound better. More bass, more warmth in vocal. Only when surround kicks in with loud explosions and so forth does it feel like yeah I have a sound system. But then the surrounds and LFE overwhelm the bar and i can hear just how thin the center dialogue sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
Barth2k I feel your frustration. My results track along with yours. We bought our Soundbar to improve the audio so we could hear voice tracks (sc*** the sound effects and the horse they rode in on!). Wife and I are both disappointed with the results. Only good to it is that the Sub Woofer is closer to her chair than mine so I occasionally get a bit more comedy out of its use.
A couple of thoughts on sound. First, it might help to break it in with white or pink noise. I noticed sound did get better over time/use and I remember several user reviews noting the same.

The second thing is I found the sound from BluRays was much, much better than sound from TVs. I went in to the Comcast TV box menus and set the sound option to "Advanced" or something like and set sound compression to none. This seemed to help TV sound a bit, so it might help to look to see if your cable box has any sound options.

Also, it's normal for the DTS/Dolby Digital to just stay on for a couple of seconds when you change channels.

Last edited by pjp; 12-07-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #1067 of 1073 Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 PM

Ok. I received this as a gift from my wife for Xmas. Upfront, let me say that I am no audiophile. I opened this up and it took about 5 mins to set up and have it running. I adjusted the bass moderately, and sat down to have a listen. I have to say that I was really blown away by the sound quality this put out. I am in love with it. Now, I am sure there are better systems out there that do much more, but for me and my TV watching, (movies and TV shows.), this system is amazing! While watching a bowl game, I had to keep looking over my shoulder because I was hearing things behind me. I was duly impressed with this system and highly recommend it to anyone like me who is just a layman who likes his audio pumped up a few notches. Vizio really impressed me with this.
post #1068 of 1073 Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Anyone use a Tivo Premiere with this Vizio Sound bar 4251w-b4? and if so do you have a problem with using the 30 sec skip or fast forwarding using Dolby Digital? Problem is I hear a screeching sound and lose the Dolby Digital Light and "Bass" on the Sound bar get's out of whack and have to power off sound bar to correct. I'm using firmware 1017. Please reply if this happens to you or not. Also I'm using the Optical cable.
post #1069 of 1073 Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountlaurel View Post
Anyone use a Tivo Premiere with this Vizio Sound bar 4251w-b4? and if so do you have a problem with using the 30 sec skip or fast forwarding using Dolby Digital? Problem is I hear a screeching sound and lose the Dolby Digital Light and "Bass" on the Sound bar get's out of whack and have to power off sound bar to correct. I'm using firmware 1017. Please reply if this happens to you or not. Also I'm using the Optical cable.
how u did this firmware? because yesterday i was talking to them about the audio problem, and said that my sound bar is 2015, its the S4251w-B4-BF15 , i cannot find the model that way in the website. They told me thats for the 2014 model and mine dosent have a firmware. Tried to put the usb , format it as FAT , put the .bin file, and when i attach it first light comes on and the second light stats blinking then turns off. Any help? Thanks
post #1070 of 1073 Old 01-13-2016, 05:32 AM

Are you having the problem when fast forwarding with any Tivo? using Dolby Digital
post #1071 of 1073 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Mine came from dell with the "1-2-9" firmware (#s of lights when "+" and "-" pressed together) and won't take the firmware from the site. Is it more recent? (how to downgrade if it is?)

Also my rear speakers (the ones which connected to the sub) have a lot of noise in them, even if something is playing you can hear the noise..
Plus sometimes trough (HDMI then Optical) I can't get the surround to work, it only plays front (surround setting is on). Say I'm playing a YouTube video with possibly mono out, it comes only on front bar. Also I think it looses the sound from time to time and/or looses the connection to the sub.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
post #1072 of 1073 Old Today, 07:13 AM

I downloaded this 1017 firmware. See Link. I wish I could go back

http://www.vizio.com/s4251wb4.html
post #1073 of 1073 Old Today, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountlaurel View Post
I downloaded this 1017 firmware. See Link. I wish I could go back

http://www.vizio.com/s4251wb4.html

I was trying to install that thinking it may fix my problems
the manual says When correct firmware is installed, lights 1, 3, 8, 10, 11, 12 are lit

but I have 1, 2, 9 lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread