AVS Forum banner

Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W

218K views 1K replies 239 participants last post by  cardkid1 
#1 ·
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountlaurel  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23458203

Just bought this Vizio Soundbar. Will all audio work from Optical cable from sound bar to TV and PS3? . Will the sound work also from one optical cable or do I need another cable for PS3 audio? Thanks

If all your devices are plugged into the TV then you only would need the one optical cable from the soundbar to the TV.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23458805

I think you're good to go.

Unlike the Sonos, I'm pretty sure the Vizio does not need an external router, as it's wireless connection is self-contained, transmitted directly from the soundbar to the subwoofer.

You don't want to have a 5 ghz router because then you would have interference between the router and the Vizio. As it is, the two systems, using different frequencies, will not compete.

Awesome! thanks for the info taichi4.

#104 ·
I was 99.999% percent sure that it worked without a router, but now I rechecked and am 101% sure.

You may need to connect it to your DVD/Bluray player fro true 5.1, as many TVs do not have 5.1 out. If you connect it to a TV in such a case, you will get simulated surround.

Please give us an impression of your Vizio when it's all set up.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23459928

I was 99.999% percent sure that it worked without a router, but now I rechecked and am 101% sure.

You may need to connect it to your DVD/Bluray player fro true 5.1, as many TVs do not have 5.1 out. If you connect it to a TV in such a case, you will get simulated surround.

Please give us an impression of your Vizio when it's all set up.

Thanks for the updated info. I have a Vizio M501d-A2R which will do DD 5.1 through the optical so I will be good to go:)

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/60#post_23336244

Panny TVs only output 2 ch stereo from connected devices. Doesn't matter whether you use ARC or optical, it's the same audio. You only get 5.1 audio from the TV's internal tuner (OTA viewing). If you want to get 5.1 from cable and bluray, you'll need to connect audio from those devices directly to the soundbar.

Do check the thread for the S60 though, in case Panny changed anything with their newest models.

My Panasonic 50 series DOES pass 5.1 through. I have both a Roku and BD player connected to it and it is connected to the Vizio via the optical cable. All in glorious 5.1 sound

UPDATE...My bad.

According to Panasonic it does NOT pass DTS though it's digital output...just PCM.

Bummer

So I guess I need to get an optical digital switcher to use with this bar.

#112 ·
OK I'm really confused.....

My Panasonic 60ST50 apparently does not pass DTS through it's optical output from external devises connected via HDMI. It just passes PCM.

It only outputs 5.1 from the built in tuner or internal streaming channels!

So can someone please explain the relevance of this. Is PCM not 5.1?

If so how would I get 5.1 from my Roku, BD player and cable box to the Vizio bar?

Do I need a switcher of some kind?

Many thanks for your help with this newbie question.

Aloha!

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidj  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23462791

OK I'm really confused.....

My Panasonic 60ST50 apparently does not pass DTS through it's optical output from external devises connected via HDMI. It just passes PCM.

It only outputs 5.1 from the built in tuner or internal streaming channels!

So can someone please explain the relevance of this. Is PCM not 5.1?

If so how would I get 5.1 from my Roku, BD player and cable box to the Vizio bar?

Do I need a switcher of some kind?

Many thanks for your help with this newbie question.

Aloha!

PCM is 5.1

depending on the content you are listening too, some content may be made for 5.1 and some arent so it will vary on what you will hear from the rear speakers. some will have a lot of full audio while some content will barely have any

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=10122

#116 ·
TVs that do not pass 5.1 from connected source devices output 2-ch. PCM, so in the context being discussed here PCM is not 5.1.

So the only way you'll get 5.1 passed to the Vizio soundbar is connecting audio directly from source devices to the soundbar. If the Roku only has HDMI out, then I don't see a way you can get 5.1 from that device.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23463225

TVs that do not pass 5.1 from connected source devices output 2-ch. PCM, so in the context being discussed here PCM is not 5.1.

So the only way you'll get 5.1 passed to the Vizio soundbar is connecting audio directly from source devices to the soundbar. If the Roku only has HDMI out, then I don't see a way you can get 5.1 from that device.

Well he did say his TV passed 5.1 but only Dolby. So as long as he isn't playing DTS content on his Roku he should be fine. He could hook his blu-ray player up to the sound bar via coax.

#119 ·
I have a Samsung UN46EH6000 that is connected to a boxee box and a 360. Both of these are connected through hdmi. After reading the manual a bit more the TV will only output 2ch if using HDMI as a connection.

For those that have multiple hdmi devices what kind of setups are you using? I could connect the 360 via optical but then that would leave the boxee box left out. I am also trying not to have too many wires as this soundbar will be going in the bedroom.

#120 ·
Hi all,

Just picked up the Vizio soundbar from Costco and had 2 quick questions:

1) is there any way to keep the soundbar from going to sleep after a period of inactivity? I am using the speakers for my TV (and associated devices) as well as for my Apple airport express (to stream music from my iPad). Unfortunately, when the device goes to sleep, you have to use the remote to wake it back up, and with my set up, that requires me to go downstairs (I live in a loft). I would love it if the device would either stay 'awake' - any thoughts?

2) when streaming via Bluetooth from my phone, I find that the satellite speakers don't put out any sound. This is the only time when the sattelite speakers are not involved in the sound (they work fine with TV and associated devices). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviSF  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/90#post_23472500

Hi all,

Just picked up the Vizio soundbar from Costco and had 2 quick questions:

1) is there any way to keep the soundbar from going to sleep after a period of inactivity? I am using the speakers for my TV (and associated devices) as well as for my Apple airport express (to stream music from my iPad). Unfortunately, when the device goes to sleep, you have to use the remote to wake it back up, and with my set up, that requires me to go downstairs (I live in a loft). I would love it if the device would either stay 'awake' - any thoughts?

2) when streaming via Bluetooth from my phone, I find that the satellite speakers don't put out any sound. This is the only time when the sattelite speakers are not involved in the sound (they work fine with TV and associated devices). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

yeah i would like to know as well.

I bought a monster green surge that shuts off direct power of my sound bar and dvd player when the tv is off. when it powers back up it powers in sleep mode.

I thought the eco power setting was enabling the sleep function. when i turn this feature back to off, it still goes to sleep. below is the setting in the Vizio Manual regarding it

Eco Power On/Off

Press the Next/Previous button to enable/disable Eco Power Mode.

When enabled (On), the Sound Bar will go into standby after a period of inactivity.

Note: Enable this function if using a TV remote to control the sound bar.

#123 ·
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Vizio about the issue with the standby mode and they replied (see below). I just turned off EcoPwr and will see if that fixes the issue (even though Vizio says it won't, the manual makes it seem like it will). I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

The sound bar has a built in stand by mode. Unfortunately, there isn't a setting to change or turn that feature off.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by chat at http://chat.vizio.com or by phone at 877-878-4946.

#126 ·
In case anyone is having trouble configuring this soundbar with a Harmony remote to switch inputs, it does work. The key is that the soundbar and Vizio remote does not "cycle" through inputs even though it might appear that way when you are using the Vizio remote.

I had to manually learn each input (Aux1,2,Digital,Optical,USB,Bluetooth) from the Vizio remote to the Harmony remote, one at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.