Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 854 Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me if this is a worthwhile upgrade from the VHT510? The only thing I really want is Bluetooth, but I could always get a Bluetooth to 3.5mm reciever to rca so I can stream music. I already don't like how the auto sleep function works. Any other nice upgrades from the 510 that would be worthwhile? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone tell if this has Bluetooth streaming capabilities from the ios devices? Also, can I use this just fro streaming music (temporarily) will be buying the tv later. I also read here that newer one is supposed to come out, is that confirmed? if so when?

I plan on getting this from Costco, hopefully they will let me return if a newer model come out soon.
post #183 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Well, the S4251W definitely will stream with Bluetooth, but there have been some Bluetooth connectivity issues with iOS 7, just as there was with iOS 6. Just searching around for ten minutes or so I can't tell if these problems have all been worked out with respect to iOS 7. You should probably try it out in the store.

Regarding the larger (and probably better) 54 inch Vizio soundbar, I'm fairly convinced it will come out around Thanksgiving, in time for the holidays.
post #184 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Liked: 12
Yes it does bt from all bluetooth compatible devices. And you do not need a tv to use it.
post #185 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Well, the S4251W definitely will stream with Bluetooth, but there have been some Bluetooth connectivity issues with iOS 7, just as there was with iOS 6. Just searching around for ten minutes or so I can't tell if these problems have all been worked out with respect to iOS 7. You should probably try it out in the store.

Regarding the larger (and probably better) 54 inch Vizio soundbar, I'm fairly convinced it will come out around Thanksgiving, in time for the holidays.

That's great, now my other question is how do you think this sound bar compares to the much expensive Sonos Playbar.

Is this soundbars sound too thin?
post #186 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Most reviewers like the Vizio very much, and I suspect the 54 inch will be better still. For the money I don't think you can do as well with Sonos.

Regarding sound quality, i have no experience comparing them, and therefore no objective opinion.
post #187 of 854 Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Just received this soundbar today. Easy setup and sounds pretty good. However, I'm having an issue with audio delay on my PS3. The audio is in sync but it takes a few seconds for the audio to kick in when starting a new program or game. It only seems to be a problem through the Optical input. I'm currently running HDMI into my TV and then optical out into the soundbar.

I've tried running the optical straight into the soundbar with the same result.

When on the main menu of my PS3 there are no clicks from option to option, and when highlighting a game, the audio takes a few seconds to start.

Does anyone else have this problem?
post #188 of 854 Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most reviewers like the Vizio very much, and I suspect the 54 inch will be better still. For the money I don't think you can do as well with Sonos.

Regarding sound quality, i have no experience comparing them, and therefore no objective opinion.

I got this yesterday and it was easy to set up, The remote lcd is barely visible, however there are a lot of settings that can be changed which is good.

I am having an issue, more like user error I guess. when I am done listening to music, I powered it off, after a couple hours when I turned it back on, I had to link the sub again, will this happen everytime I turn it off, so should I just keep it on standby?

Also, what setting do you guys have, like for soundbar bass, treble, center, surround, sub etc. Has someone found an optimal settings that is good for both music and movies?

I haven't tried it with the TV yet, but music so far is alright and the surround works well, just had to increase the volume.

I also noticed there is something called true vol? anyone know what that is?
post #189 of 854 Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I got this yesterday and it was easy to set up, The remote lcd is barely visible, however there are a lot of settings that can be changed which is good.

I am having an issue, more like user error I guess. when I am done listening to music, I powered it off, after a couple hours when I turned it back on, I had to link the sub again, will this happen everytime I turn it off, so should I just keep it on standby?

Also, what setting do you guys have, like for soundbar bass, treble, center, surround, sub etc. Has someone found an optimal settings that is good for both music and movies?

I haven't tried it with the TV yet, but music so far is alright and the surround works well, just had to increase the volume.

I also noticed there is something called true vol? anyone know what that is?

TrueVolume basically lowers the volume when loud commercials come on.

Anyone have any idea when the 54 inch version is due? I thought Vizio said in the Fall sometime.
post #190 of 854 Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I have connect my my iPhone 4S ios6 and ios7 via Bluetooth as well as a nexus 7 tablet and iPad 2 tablet without issues. I have not tired my iPhone 5s yet. Or maybe I did and I forgot. Anyways, it works fine but you will only get sound from the front 2 speakers. Seems even the music station through my cable box only goes through my front to speakers as we'll.
post #191 of 854 Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

It's great that the Bluetooth connection is working for you.

My post, in response to the question regarding iPhones linking with the Vizio, was merely to point out that a number of people have had some issues with Bluetooth on various versions of iOS.
post #192 of 854 Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodsoldier View Post

Just received this soundbar today. Easy setup and sounds pretty good. However, I'm having an issue with audio delay on my PS3. The audio is in sync but it takes a few seconds for the audio to kick in when starting a new program or game. It only seems to be a problem through the Optical input. I'm currently running HDMI into my TV and then optical out into the soundbar.

I've tried running the optical straight into the soundbar with the same result.

When on the main menu of my PS3 there are no clicks from option to option, and when highlighting a game, the audio takes a few seconds to start.

Does anyone else have this problem?

This is a problem with a lot of these. Vizio has released a firmware patch to fix it right up. Click on the link below, click on support, and download the Firmware update to a flash drive, and insert it into the system.

http://store.vizio.com/s4251wb4.html

On a side note, I have a 50" M Series and cannot find if it supports the 5.1 or not. Can someone help me out here? I currently have everything running through my tv, so I am scared I am not getting the best sound possible. Thanks!
post #193 of 854 Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this is a user error or not, so I want to check with you guys if you have found the same. When I go into a source lets say Bluetooth or optical and make adjustments to Treble, Bass, Center, sub, surround gal etc. I see the light go up or down according to the increase or decrease that I am putting on the remote. Now i want those adjustments to stay that way, but as soon as i come out of that by pressing menu and want to lower the volume i find that the settings also go down with lowering the volume, because as soon as i go back into the treble or bass etc i see that the lights have been down to when i turned down the volume to.

After adjusting the treble center, bass etc settings do i have to press any button to confirm that selection?

I need to find the answer to this as if this is not something that the soundbar does that i may have to return this.
post #194 of 854 Old 10-27-2013, 03:43 PM

I've been looking at the Vizio sound bar and was wondering how folks are doing their connections? It would be in my living room where we have a DirecTV receiver and a PS3. I've been reading a lot on it but am confused with some reviews/comments that say its not really 5.1 but rather a down mix.

Thanks for any input folks can provide. smile.gif
post #195 of 854 Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it will only be mixed down if you run your direct tv and PS3 sound from your tv to the sound bar. I'm running my optical input from the tv but am only using an antenna so I do get 5.1 from the OTA broadcasts. I also have my blue ray player hooked up directly to the sound bar. I bought a optical to coaxial converter to do this. so if I want 5.1 from my blue ray player I have to select the input that is directly hooked to the player. if I just run it through my tv then I won't get 5.1
post #196 of 854 Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post

it will only be mixed down if you run your direct tv and PS3 sound from your tv to the sound bar. I'm running my optical input from the tv but am only using an antenna so I do get 5.1 from the OTA broadcasts. I also have my blue ray player hooked up directly to the sound bar. I bought a optical to coaxial converter to do this. so if I want 5.1 from my blue ray player I have to select the input that is directly hooked to the player. if I just run it through my tv then I won't get 5.1

Thanks. So to get the 5.1 I'll need to hook directly into the Vizio. Will the Vizio work with devices like Harmony? The WAF is going to be pretty low if she has to change channels with one remote and volume with another wink.gif
post #197 of 854 Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it possible to use this unit as a 2.1?
post #198 of 854 Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post

Is it possible to use this unit as a 2.1?

I haven't tried it, but I would think of two options that may work

1) dont plug in the rear speakers to the sub
2) adjust using the report to change "surround" to 0
post #199 of 854 Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I don't know if this is a user error or not, so I want to check with you guys if you have found the same. When I go into a source lets say Bluetooth or optical and make adjustments to Treble, Bass, Center, sub, surround gal etc. I see the light go up or down according to the increase or decrease that I am putting on the remote. Now i want those adjustments to stay that way, but as soon as i come out of that by pressing menu and want to lower the volume i find that the settings also go down with lowering the volume, because as soon as i go back into the treble or bass etc i see that the lights have been down to when i turned down the volume to.

After adjusting the treble center, bass etc settings do i have to press any button to confirm that selection?

I need to find the answer to this as if this is not something that the soundbar does that i may have to return this.

return it for another one. mine doesn't readjust again after i select the option unless you go to the last option which is reset.
post #200 of 854 Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreone3 View Post

Thanks. So to get the 5.1 I'll need to hook directly into the Vizio. Will the Vizio work with devices like Harmony? The WAF is going to be pretty low if she has to change channels with one remote and volume with another wink.gif

The sound bar has the ability to learn other remotes so I would think a harmony should work fine. I use my TV remote.
Be aware that this sound bar only has 2 digital inputs. 1 optical and 1 coaxial. I have a Wii hooked up to the tv and I don't need 5.1 for that so 2 is all I need.
post #201 of 854 Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM

I wrote Vizio a few days ago about a release date for the upgraded 54 inch hdmi version. Not a word from them. Is this even being released it was announced last ces in January. Here we are almost ready for next ces and no release date? I'm guessing it got scratched.
post #202 of 854 Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

I wrote Vizio a few days ago about a release date for the upgraded 54 inch hdmi version. Not a word from them. Is this even being released it was announced last ces in January. Here we are almost ready for next ces and no release date? I'm guessing it got scratched.

They're a tight-lipped bunch for sure.

What I was able to dig up (not "officially") was near or after Thanksgiving, in time for the Holidays.
post #203 of 854 Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:

They're a tight-lipped bunch for sure.

What I was able to dig up (not "officially") was near or after Thanksgiving, in term for the Holidays.
Thats cool I can wait it out for a few weeks see if this happens. What I don't get is why they wouldn't just post release date. I've never understood how these things work. I guess apple does same release date 1 or 2 weeks from release day.
post #204 of 854 Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

Thats cool I can wait it out for a few weeks see if this happens. What I don't get is why they wouldn't just post release date. I've never understood how these things work. I guess apple does same release date 1 or 2 weeks from release day.

I don't know how I wrote "in term for" rather than "in time for." That's why proofreading is important.

Yeah, companies' strategies for announcements are funny...it can be for many reasons, I suppose. Pricing possibly, though you'd think they have formulas for cost/distribution/retail. They may also have supply issues.

Anyway, Vizio knows that they need soundbars to cater for different size displays, and the 54 inch fills a void.
post #205 of 854 Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 14
Does anyone have lip sync issues with this unit? I have the 50" M series, and the only way to not have sync issues is to watch movies in "game" mode picture setting. Can someone help me with this? I have a PS3 hooked up to the tv via HDMI, with OPT out direct to the soundbar to get the full 5.1.
post #206 of 854 Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM

No Info on the 54" 5.1 soundbar system yet, but I did find the name for it on the following image on the amazon site for the 54" 3.0 system

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498690/vizio-s5430w-c2-54-soundbar-with-3-channel

on the image, there is a Vizio S5451w indicated for the 54" soundbar
post #207 of 854 Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM

Any owners of the current 5.1 system using stands for the rear surrounds? If so any recommendations? I've had Sanus stands in the past. Price wise these are interesting: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082819&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=2
post #208 of 854 Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreone3 View Post

Any owners of the current 5.1 system using stands for the rear surrounds? If so any recommendations? I've had Sanus stands in the past. Price wise these are interesting: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082819&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=2

I use these speaker stands. They work but are pretty wobbly on carpet. Also with the RCA jacks stick out in the back a little too far and hit the stand. I mounted my speakers upside down to make it work. if you want to run the wires through the stand you will have to cut off the jacks as the hole is not big enough to run the wire through with the Jack on.

Not a perfect option but you can't beat the price
post #209 of 854 Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post

I use these speaker stands. They work but are pretty wobbly on carpet. Also with the RCA jacks stick out in the back a little too far and hit the stand. I mounted my speakers upside down to make it work. if you want to run the wires through the stand you will have to cut off the jacks as the hole is not big enough to run the wire through with the Jack on.

Not a perfect option but you can't beat the price

Thanks. I ended up just building my own. Not as fancy as the off-the-shelf models but the price is right!
post #210 of 854 Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Liked: 18
Does anyone know what happened to the 54" version they announced almost a year ago? Its still not on Vizio's site, and I haven't heard or read anything else about it...
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar
Gear in this thread - S4251w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page