AVS Forum banner

Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W

218K views 1K replies 239 participants last post by  cardkid1 
#1 ·
#153 ·
Hi...

You know, this is just weird as I am looking to use a sound bar in our motor coach.

The issue here, with this, from what I can tell, is you can not get true 5.1 out of the system with the way they show it connected. (Unless I am totally mistaken.)

By this I mean...If you pass though a TV and come optical out to the sound bar, you actually only get 2.0 out of the TV. Again, unless I am totally wrong, the HDMI standards do not allow for TV's to pass though anything but stereo.

So, if you care coming out of a Blu-ray via HDMI, into your TV, and then Optical out from your TV into the sound bar, the TV can only pass 2.0 out.

I ran into this, discovered this, when I was messing with XBMC on my HTPC. Setting the HTPC to send out 5.1 via HDMI to the connect TV, it can't play unless I set it in Analog 2.0 mode. Doing some research into this, I found that it is a HDMI standards issue in regards to passthrough.

The TV can pass 5.1 out ONLY if it is using it'd internal OTA tuner.

So...why it is nice for OTA TV, it seems you can not get 5.1 if hooked up to the TV as they show it should be hooked up.

Not just an issue with this bar, but anything. But this bar is the only one that I know is doing 5.1 and saying it can do 5.1. It can, but it surely seems to be misleading. As what you get via a passthrough is simulated surround at best. (Dolby ProLogic if you will.)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#154 ·
I've just started looking at sound bars and wondered why most all are only 2.1 and most do not have HDMI.

I do think it comes down to the no passing a 5.1 via HDMI through a display which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Seems like the only way to get a 5.1 signal is if your cable\sat box has any extra HDMI out or to use a splitter to input to the sound bar and bypass the display totally.

If you're using a BD player, the bar has to have HDMI input to pass a lossless sound track as well.

It really shouldn't be so restrictive, imo.

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23693437

I've just started looking at sound bars and wondered why most all are only 2.1 and most do not have HDMI.

I do think it comes down to the no passing a 5.1 via HDMI through a display which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Seems like the only way to get a 5.1 signal is if your cable\sat box has any extra HDMI out or to use a splitter to input to the sound bar and bypass the display totally.

If you're using a BD player, the bar has to have HDMI input to pass a lossless sound track as well.

My Sony kdl70r550a passes 5.1 from the tv through the toslink connection.

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23734601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23693437

My Sony kdl70r550a passes 5.1 from the tv through the toslink connection.

If you are talking from the internal OTA...that would be correct. But it can not pass through another source that is feed into it.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23735076

If you are talking from the internal OTA...that would be correct. But it can not pass through another source that is feed into it.

so my cable box is connecting to my tv via hdmi then my TV outputs to my vizio soundbar and depending on what i'm watching I would get 5.1 audio.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23740908

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23735076

so my cable box is connecting to my tv via hdmi then my TV outputs to my vizio soundbar and depending on what i'm watching I would get 5.1 audio.

I am sorry to say in that config you will not be sending 5.1 to the sound bar as the TV is not allowed to pass it. While the cable box may send 5.1 to the TV, from that point it made into 2.0 as a pass through.

No matter as the sound bar is only 2.0 anyway so you are not loosing anything. (Note...someone might way 2.1 with the sub, but it is really 2.0 as the sub is only their for low end and not LFE which is the .1 channel)

#159 ·
Actually, this particular soundbar is 5.1 because it has the two wireless rear speakers.

As far as the TV passing 5.1, it might. It has been reported for some time that some Sony TVs pass 5.1 from connected source devices I don't know if the KDL is one of those models.

Additionally, I recently learned that some cable boxes have a setting (probably under audio or HDMI) where you can specify "auto" or "pass through". With the "pass through" setting, 5.1 from the cable box was indeed passed through and output as 5.1 by the TV. I've no idea if that works only with some cable boxes and/or some TVs.

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741224

I am sorry to say in that config you will not be sending 5.1 to the sound bar as the TV is not allowed to pass it. While the cable box may send 5.1 to the TV, from that point it made into 2.0 as a pass through.

No matter as the sound bar is only 2.0 anyway so you are not loosing anything. (Note...someone might way 2.1 with the sub, but it is really 2.0 as the sub is only their for low end and not LFE which is the .1 channel)

so you're saying the vizio s4251 which has a front speaker with left (1) center(1) and right (1) channel, sub (0.1), and rear speakers (2) (advertised as 5.1 audio system) is truly only 2.0?

and my sony kdl70r550a does not output 5.1 ch audio out as specified in the product manual is wrong?

http://store.sony.com/p/70-inch-HDTV,-LED-TV,-R-Series,-R550,-genie-whole-home-DVR,-3D-TV,-Edge-LED,-smart-TV,-Full-HD/en/p/KDL70R550A#specifications

Audio Features

5.1 Channel Audio Out : Yes

5.1ch Through Out (Handycam) : Yes

Alternate Audio (Digital) : Yes

Audio Out : Variable/Fixed

Dolby® : MS10 (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse)

SteadySound® Automatic Volume Control : Yes

Stereo System : MTS(AUTO SAP)

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741443

ALL HDTVs will output 5.1 from internal sources (tuner, smart apps). However, most will NOT output 5.1 from attached source devices like a cable box. Whether your KDL is one of the Sonys that pass 5.1 is unknown.

=) thanks for the clarification.

I do hear audio from my rear speakers when I watch from my cable box. I am not an audio expert, so is there a possibility that it's simulating or creating the 5.1 audio? or would I not hear anything from the rear speaker if my tv was outputting as stereo 2.0/2.1?

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741353

Actually, this particular soundbar is 5.1 because it has the two wireless rear speakers.

As far as the TV passing 5.1, it might. It has been reported for some time that some Sony TVs pass 5.1 from connected source devices I don't know if the KDL is one of those models.

Additionally, I recently learned that some cable boxes have a setting (probably under audio or HDMI) where you can specify "auto" or "pass through". With the "pass through" setting, 5.1 from the cable box was indeed passed through and output as 5.1 by the TV. I've no idea if that works only with some cable boxes and/or some TVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741363

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741224

so you're saying the vizio s4251 which has a front speaker with left (1) center(1) and right (1) channel, sub (0.1), and rear speakers (2) (advertised as 5.1 audio system) is truly only 2.0?

and my sony kdl70r550a does not output 5.1 ch audio out as specified in the product manual is wrong?

http://store.sony.com/p/70-inch-HDTV,-LED-TV,-R-Series,-R550,-genie-whole-home-DVR,-3D-TV,-Edge-LED,-smart-TV,-Full-HD/en/p/KDL70R550A#specifications

Audio Features

5.1 Channel Audio Out : Yes

5.1ch Through Out (Handycam) : Yes

Alternate Audio (Digital) : Yes

Audio Out : Variable/Fixed

Dolby® : MS10 (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse)

SteadySound® Automatic Volume Control : Yes

Stereo System : MTS(AUTO SAP)

Sorry guys...Wrong thread on the 2.0. I am also in the Samsung thread. Yes, this one is a 5.1 system. However, as mentioned above, only if feed directly and not passed though a TV.

"5.1 Channel Audio Out : Yes"

Yes, if is comes from the internal turner and not being used as a pass through for a blu-ray, dvd, cable box, etc. So yes it can. But not like you think.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23741443

ALL HDTVs will output 5.1 from internal sources (tuner, smart apps). However, most will NOT output 5.1 from attached source devices like a cable box. Whether your KDL is one of the Sonys that pass 5.1 is unknown.

=) thanks for the clarification.

I do hear audio from my rear speakers when I watch from my cable box. I am not an audio expert, so is there a possibility that it's simulating or creating the 5.1 audio? or would I not hear anything from the rear speaker if my tv was outputting as stereo 2.0/2.1?

It is more thank likely doing Dolby Prologic or something in that regard. It is not true separate channels, but a matrix made up.

#166 ·
I do get sound from my rear speakers when using my phone hooked up via Bluetooth. I don't know if each input has its own settings that can be adjusted but when playing tunes from my phone the rear speakers are almost too loud compared to the front. play around with the surround setting while using Bluetooth and see if it helps. BTW I really like this system too.

#169 ·
I like the look of this VIZIO 5.1 set-up, but I think I may wait for next years version of it. If it has one. It just needs either HDMI inputs, or multiple optical(2) and Coaxial(2) inputs. Just not enough inputs.

But if VIZIO announces a new one, the price of this will drop for sure. Just need a few more inputs to be worthwhile. I got to "hear" it at Best Buy. Sounded really good. But it did sound a little "muddled/muddy" when compared to the Sony HT-CT260. Even though the Sony is only 2.1, the sound was crisper/cleaner than the Vizio. I would be looking at the HT-CT660 anyway, but that costs about $100-$125 more.

Decisions, decisions, decisions,,,, Buy now, or wait for the new model next year....

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE  /t/1451371/vizios-new-true-5-1-soundbar-s4251w/150#post_23758799

How long are the wires that run from the Subwoofer to EACH speaker, and can they be lengthen by me at home?

Also, does the Subwoofer need DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT to the front Soundbar, or can it be placed behind something? Around 12-13 ft away as well?

15ft.

#175 ·

Quote:

Will vizio's new M series tv's output 5.1?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.