Advice on soundboard and set-up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been out of the video and audiophile loop for about 15 years, but am now an empty-nester and my old Sony XBR finally died, mercifully, so no guilt about it going to a landfill. Wow, the world changed on me! Am looking for a recommendation on a sound bar, I think... Set-up is as follows: I am on Time Warner Cable, Explorer 8300 DVR, Samsung 55EH6000 (just arrived), and have an Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray On the way. This will be our primary set-up in a family room. Ideas on sound bar, and more importantly how best to configure all this?! Note - I could also consider leveraging an older Yamaha AV receiver (RXV-990) for occasional listening on movies - and to use the Oppo for CD listening. (The Oppo has 5.1/7,1 analog audio outputs which is why it was appealing.) Right now my main speakers for Cd listening are Definitive Technologies Mythos-5s that i use with an NAD C370 amp. Other old parts lying around too - I am not using my Paradigm speakers - which up until we moved 7 years ago I used with the Yamaha - have a big unused subwoofer too... Not sure at this point what I should keep or toss! Ideas very much welcomed. I am just starting to learn all of this all over again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Hi CincyGuy, Before you make a decision on what sound bar to purchase, make sure that you audition the bose soundbar and sub. It is a bit pricey 1500 but well worth the money. Its wireless so no need to hook up the sub with wires, just plug and play. After listening to sony, samsung, visio,and a host of others I was convinced I would have to go with full surround. I went to my audio dealer to price out a system and was introduced to the Bose Soundbar and Sub Combo. I was to put it mildly, BLOWN AWAY. Can't figure out how they did it. You must listen and then make up your mind.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the idea. However, I am thinking more in terms of something that will improve the general listen ability of the system when I am simply watching the news and simple programs, where I don't need full engagement with a subwoofer, etc. (i do have both a large Paradigm sub, and a smaller (older) M&K sub for times when I am going to do the whole surround sound thing, although it may take me a while to get it all set up again.) So I am not sure I need to invest 1500 in Bose for "Jeopardy." Was looking for a 200-300 idea that would still be a lot better than what resides in the Samsung.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 103 Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Roku Streaming Stick Bundle
Gear in this thread - Un55eh6000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page