Panorama 2 or cheaper alternative - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my wife got me the Panorama 2 for Christmas and although I like it I just think its just too much money for a soundbar. It's still under the return time so I'm looking for a less expensive but one that also performs well. What are your suggestions for one that is under $1000?

I've been eyeing the Klipsch sb3 but there has been very few reviews on them. Is this a good alternative? What's the best bang for my buck? Btw this is going in my big family room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo76 View Post

So my wife got me the Panorama 2 for Christmas and although I like it I just think its just too much money for a soundbar. It's still under the return time so I'm looking for a less expensive but one that also performs well. What are your suggestions for one that is under $1000?

I've been eyeing the Klipsch sb3 but there has been very few reviews on them. Is this a good alternative? What's the best bang for my buck? Btw this is going in my big family room

Would you be able to get a 5.1 or 7.1 system? For that money and with a big room, I'm sure that would be better for you if you can swing it.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Although 5.1 would be great but I prefer the tidiness of a soundbar system. Also my wife would go nuts.

The Atlantic technology soundbar sounds interesting. Anyone have hands on experience with it? Any user reviews out there?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM

I purchased the Panorama 2 and kept it for a whole month and regrettabley returned it. I had mine paired with a B&W ASW700 (10" @ 500 watts) sub woofer.
The base was dead on, and so was everything else. it was actually great for music. mind you, my other system is a dual mono block amp with tower speakers standing at 5+ foot tall. but B&W held it's own. sounded great, never fatiguing never tiring.

I wish B&W had worked in some sort of an wireless option for the rear speakers to get you true surround. The Pano-2 delivers on surround, but at the end of the day is a sound bar. A fracking great soundbar, an incredible sound bar for music...but still lacks it for movies.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

If you live near a Magnolia store they have the original Panorama on clearance for $1100. I've been A/B'ing it with a SpeakerCraft CS3 for the past couple weeks and I'm having an incredibly tough time deciding which one to keep. The Speakercraft does a better job of creating a surround effect, but the B&W sounds slightly more dynamic. The Speakercraft has Bluetooth and is only $599. The amount of bass is about the same from both.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I love to hear real world comparisons. Like I said I've been using the Pan 2 and love it don't get me wrong. I just want justification for spending so much money on a soundbar. smile.gif. I'm just wondering if same performance can be had for much less so I'm open to more suggestions.

How about the new Yamaha 4300? Does anyone have experience on this?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 53
I haven't used the B&W burt have used the Yamaha and Atlantic Technology. I have heard the B&W in Magnolia but that was not a great environment so I wouldn't use that for an evaluation. If surround sound is your priority the Yamaha does a better job and is very tweak able to get the best effect in a given room. The auto setup doesn't always get the best result. The sub that comes with it is nothing to write home about. Although you should be able to use a different sub with their wireless adapter I haven't tried it. I like the 4100/5100 better with a separate sub but again does need some tweaking and not as sleek as the 3300/4300.

The AT is just a better sounding sound bar. It is accurate and although we have always installed it with a sub it is the first sound bar that could be used without one and most would be happy. One customer commented on the bass of the unit and I didn't have the sub connected yet. The disadvantages to the AT are the surround effect is not tweak able and is room dependent, it is bigger than most other sound bars and not as aesthetic/ sleek looking as others. For powered sound bars it would be my first choice for sound quality.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Although surround effects is a huge plus, my focal point is sound quality. Being able to hear every sound in a movie clearly and beautifully is very important to me like the orchestral music in movies like Gladiator is a good example. I have B&w 804's in my theater room so I'm a bit of a snob. Will the sound quality of the yamaha come close to that of the Panorama given that sound quality takes priority over surround effects?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 53
My guess is you'd like the B&W better for sound quality.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Dare I ask about the Bose soundbar. I listened to it at Fry's over the weekend and I would have to admit it does sound pretty darn good. The good sound might have been attributed by the room it was in. Does anyone have any real world comparisons between the Bose and Panorama 2?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM

I have heard from a friend that the Bose has a real problem with dialogue. Voices ar difficult to hear requiring you to turn up the volume. But when an action scene kicks in, his wife ends up yelling at him.

I am new here and looking to buy a new soundbar. Thought i would ask your opinions. I currently have a Bose 2.1 gs. I am due for an upgrade.

Right now I am looking at the b & w, definitive technology solocinema xtr, the Martin logan, the yamaha 3300 or the outlaw. I have glimpsed at the boxs, such as the zbox, but not sure I want that giant box sitting on my table. Although would consider it if the sound quality was worth it.

Thoughts? I want good cable and blu ray sound, but don't want to sacrifice music. I would like to connect my sonos to it as well. Thanks for any feedback you may have. I am confused at this point. I would like to avoid having to spendupwards of 2,000 dollars, but it seems you do get what you pay for. Or so I have read.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Ysp 4300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page