Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar VERSUS Sony HT-CT260 Soundbar - VERDICT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Samsung HW450 Versus Sony Soundbar HT-CT260 Face-off:

After having a week home trial of both the Samsung HW450 Soundbar and the Sony HT-CT260 Soundbar, the Sony won.

The soundbar was to replace my Samsung plasma 32 inch native speakers and both did a better job that's for sure.

First, I bought the Sony from Best Buy at under $300, not bad at all (they often go for $350 before tax). I was really impressed with the difference from my native TV speakers. After selecting 'Cinema/Movie' setting on both and a little tweaking of the sub and treble I was off.
Though being highly impressed by the Sony's sound I was initially a little put off by the size and width of the hexagonal shape, especially to mount it on my wall or tv stand.
SO eager to test another before having to return the Sony I went to Future Shop.
I spoke to an employee at Future Shop what they thought of both bars and they highly recommended the Samsung soundbar mostly due to some customers feedback and the reviews online versus the Sony HT-CT260 so I also purchased the HW450 with the hope it would replace my Sony.

I liked the sleekness of the Samsung , the extra options for connections and reviews are generally very good.

Note that both have Bluetooth for music streaming, great if you don't have a 'Hi-Fi' like us. The Sony doesn't have HDMI only Optical and Coaxial, but really, I couldn't notice the audio benefit especially from these budget sound bars.

After testing various scenes repeatedly from Bluray's of ' Inception' , Cloverfield, 'Looper' and 'Avatar' ,both connected by optical cable, I adjusted the various settings of both bars and from the start it became obvious who the winner was to my wife and I....... the Sony.

It was down to overall clarity, and fullness of bass. The Samsung was 'ever so slightly' better at the stereo effect but was let down on the hollower bass compared.

Each time we alternated sound bars during the test movies, the Sony came up stronger with more 'Oomph' and an overall 'cinematic feeling'. I played the same scenes on different settings on both bars and the Sony won for clarity and quality. Give yourself chance to calibrate with sub and centre controls and you will find a sweet spot.

We will be returning our Samsung this week and keeping the Sony and embracing it.

Shame as wanted to keep the Samsung as I have their TV's and phones but quality has to come first.

Rob Chandler
El Matadurr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Rob, you deserve a cold Sleeman for the write up. God, I miss Canadian beer.cool.gif In home shoot outs are always interesting reads here on AVS Forum. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Rob,

Just wanted to thank you for putting up this "face off" between these two products.

I've been in a quandary for days and after many hours of research it seemed the Samsung was portrayed as being better.

However, my gut feeling was for the Sony, because they have more credibility in the audio business

Anyways thanks again :-)

Best Wishes
Andrae
post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM

I purchased the SAMSUNG HW-FM45 10 days ago ( same as above only this is walmart's part # for same unit). After I bought this is I was in a diff store couple days ago that has the Sony tested above only it is a Sony HT-CT260H model and I think the "H" diff is this one has all HDMI connectivity. That Sony boomed, but then again demos at store can be diff than home. Here is what I need to know....the Samsung has 5-6 diff sound settings....music, news, drama, cinema, sports and game...does the Sony have something like this? Plus the Samsung has a 3D sound feature built into it ( my hd is not 3d, but nice to have in case I get one) Does the Sony have any 3d sound extra feature?... The ill informed salesguy at store did not know and could not locate manual for this Sony. Please advise and since your post about keeping the Sony are you still happy you bought it compared to the Samsung? Thanks for any help on this.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreidt2002 View Post

....the Samsung has 5-6 diff sound settings....music, news, drama, cinema, sports and game...does the Sony have something like this? Plus the Samsung has a 3D sound feature built into it ( my hd is not 3d, but nice to have in case I get one) Does the Sony have any 3d sound extra feature?... The ill informed salesguy at store did not know and could not locate manual for this Sony. Please advise and since your post about keeping the Sony are you still happy you bought it compared to the Samsung? Thanks for any help on this.

I've owned the Sony HT-CT260H for a little over a week and I'm very pleased with it. Yes, it has several different preset sound settings, and no it does not have any gimmicky 'genuine simulated pseudo 3D' marketing crap. It's a soundbar - an excellent replacement for the crappy on-board speakers that ship with most/all LCDs nowadays. Consumer Reports ranked the Sony HT-CT260 2nd only to the $700 Sonos Playbar in their '2014 Buying Guide'.

The HT-CT260H has the added benefit of a HDMI-ARC and a standard HDMI inputs the original HT-CT260 didn't have.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Good Review.

Guys, please do not try to audition a soundbar in a big box store like Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Put the unit on your credit card, take it home and live with it for a few days.

To narrow your selection, read reviews from Cnet, Sound & Vision or other on-line publications plus, read the user threads at AVS. I am a little leary of the comments posted on-line at retailers web-sites as some of the reviews are more a review of the experience with the retailer and some of the reviews look like plants.

David Freeman
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Will I still need the digital optical cable that I had to buy for my Samsung soundbar HW-FM45 (same as 450) to get audio when I stream a netfix movie? My Samsung HDTV does not have ARC- it has HDMI DVI in one of the slots.....so would I hook up same way as my current Samsung soundbar?? Darn, that model of Sony was $199 2 days ago at Target and now its up to $229 at Target... I can get on line for $198 now but I don't like buying online cause if unit is damaged, defective etc.... I just don't want to deal with possibly shipping back and forth- its a hassle, etc....also you said "pre set sound settings" just to be sure can you tell me EXACTLY what these are and I can change them, correct? Thanks for your help and that was a great review of the Sony, its terrific when users share their experiences. Reading store reviews can be a little tricky as you said and yes, I am a CNET follower-usually.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreidt2002 View Post

"Will I still need the digital optical cable that I had to buy for my Samsung soundbar HW-FM45 (same as 450) to get audio when I stream a netfix movie?"

The HT-CT260H has one digital optical in connector so if you stream Netflix through your TV then yes, you'd use the optical output of your TV.

"My Samsung HDTV does not have ARC- it has HDMI DVI in one of the slots.....so would I hook up same way as my current Samsung soundbar??"

See previous answer

"....also you said "pre set sound settings" just to be sure can you tell me EXACTLY what these are and I can change them, correct?"

Yes you can change them, I would suggest you downlaod the 'Operating Instructions' here for more detail:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=HTCT260H&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

"Reading store reviews can be a little tricky as you said"

I didn't say that, drfreeman60 did. I actually read quite a few customer reviews on Amazon, Newegg, Crutchfield. Over the years I've learned to immediately skip over those that appear to be written by intellectually challenged second graders, the 20,000 word essays, the paid shills, the axe grinders, etc.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page