Need help with connecting HT-CT150 and Charter Cisco Explorer 4640HDC to LG LM8600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear AVS Gurus,

I am trying to connect my Charter set-top box to my TV(LG LM8600) through the Sony HT-CT150 soundbar via the ARC feature. I have managed to connect my Sony 3D-BD player with Simplink and sound works as expected. But I couldn't get the cable to display on the TV with the setup. Just to go over the setup again, I have one cable running from the TV HDMI ARC port to the HDMI ARC on the soundbar subwoofer. BD player is connected to BD HDMI and Cable box is connected SAT/CATV HDMI on the subwoofer. All cables are hi-speed 1.4.

According to the set-top box manuals, it is HDMI-CEC compatible but can't seem to find it anywhere in the settings menu to enable it. Found one thread about pressing "A"on the remote in the General settings menu to access the "Advanced Settings" menu with additional HDMI settings but it didn't work for me.

Any ideas how to get this working?confused.gif

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Digging deeper, realized that Cisco Explorer supports HDMI-CEC 1.3 but not HDMI 1.4 standard which ARC is a part of..does that matter?
post #3 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelSatis View Post

Digging deeper, realized that Cisco Explorer supports HDMI-CEC 1.3 but not HDMI 1.4 standard which ARC is a part of..does that matter?

ARC doesn't matter at all because you're connecting your source devices to the soundbar, not the TV.

You said you couldn't get the cable to "display on the TV". Did you use the soundbar remote to change input to SAT/CATV? Given the way you've connected, you should have audio and video just like you do for the BD player.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

On second thought, you are right..I'm connecting the TV's ARC output to the ARC compatible HDMI port on the soundbar subwoofer so it wouldn't really matter if the other connected devices to the soundbar support 1.4 ARC or not. It should be good to go with just the main interface supporting ARC.

Unfortunately the cablebox doesn't seem to respect the setup. I can see the BD input listed as Simplink on TV's available input lists and if I choose it the BD player turns on, TV switches to that input and even the soundbar switches to the correct input channel(BD) automatically. But that doesn't seem to happen with Charter cablebox. The other input option I see is the HDMI1 input which is the ARC input that runs from the soundbar but selecting that gives me a no signal message. Choosing SAT/CATV on soundbar doesn't have any effect.

I'm so frustrated at the archaic cablebox of Charter, not to mention the "wonderful" guide UI:
post #5 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, ARC has nothing to do with any of this. It is the CEC communication between Simplink and BraviaSync that lets the BD player turn on, switch inputs, etc. The cable box either doesn't have CEC or it's not enabled, but that shouldn't be causing your problem. I don't understand why it isn't working. I used to have a CT-350 soundbar and I had two DVRs connected to it that didn't have CEC. They were very similar to cable boxes. All I had to do was use the soundbar remote to switch to the input (SAT/CATV or DVD) depending on which DVR I wanted to use, and of course manually turn the DVR on.. I also had a BD player that did have CEC, like yours, and input switching was automatic, like yours. Have you tried a different HDMI cable or using the DVD input? Never hurts to try different things.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Possumgirl,

CEC setting on the cablebox is something not accessible to me. Couldn't seem to find it anywhere in the settings menu. Nor could I access the Advanced Settings Menu as someone else mentioned in another thread. According to the manuals, it is CEC compatible.

The cable I'm using now is a hi-speed 1.4 cable. Tried a different cable but haven't tried a different port..wouldn't hurt to try I guess..Will let you know after I try it tonight..Thanks for the suggestions!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be an HDMI handshake issue. Try different HDMI ports on the TV as well as on the soundbar and swapping cables around. May not make any difference, but at least you'll have covered the bases. Last resort may be connecting cable box to the TV and using ARC to send audio to the bar.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Last resort may be connecting cable box to the TV and using ARC to send audio to the bar.

Do you think that can be done? If so that might be the solution..I can control the cablebox from the TV's UI so wouldn't be too much of a hassle to use it via there..one other thing to try! Thanks.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

It is somehow working now when I switch to SAT/CATV on the soundbar but it is a manual switch on the soundbar remote at the moment. When I turn on the TV, the output on soundbar sets itself to TV automatically. I then need to set SAT/CATV manually from the soundbar remote. Turning on the cablebox from on-screen TV controls doesn't even trigger it. I wish it was automatic just like how BD switches. The whole point was to get rid of multiple remotes and possibly use the LG remote for everything..

I have a Harmony remote which I have yet to try..maybe it would control the LG smartTV UI..
post #10 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is somehow working now when I switch to SAT/CATV on the soundbar but it is a manual switch on the soundbar remote at the moment. When I turn on the TV, the output on soundbar sets itself to TV automatically. I then need to set SAT/CATV manually from the soundbar remote. Turning on the cablebox from on-screen TV controls doesn't even trigger it. I wish it was automatic just like how BD switches. The whole point was to get rid of multiple remotes and possibly use the LG remote for everything..

I have a Harmony remote which I have yet to try..maybe it would control the LG smartTV UI..

I'm glad the cable box is working now as I could not think of any logical reason that it wouldn't. Having to switch to SAT/CATV manually is what I was saying in earlier posts. The cable box does not support CEC (I've never heard of one that does), so the TV and/or soundbar cannot recognize the signal automatically the way they do with the BD player.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Possumgirl, No idea why it didn't work with the SAT/CATV in the first place..Yesterday I tried DVD input first and it worked and then tried the SAT/CATV and it worked as well..probably I was messing up with the TV AND the soundbar settings at the same time trying to get picture on when I first tried the other day..
It's a bummer that the cablebox doesn't support CEC, though it clearly says in the manual that it supports it. Well I guess I can live with that..Also looks like Harmony remote doesn't support magic remote functions..

The other issue I have discovered with the current setup is, the smart-TV functions like games doesn't output sound to the soundbar now?! Need to switch to TV speakers for that..:|
post #12 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other issue I have discovered with the current setup is, the smart-TV functions like games doesn't output sound to the soundbar now?! Need to switch to TV speakers for that..:|

Once again I've no idea why that would happen. My two suggestions would be contact LG support about audio out from the smart apps, and/or go to the DIsplay subforum here on AVS and find the thread for your TV. Perhaps other owners can help.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Sure I will do that, thanks for the help!
post #14 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Hi yall,

Velsatis were u able to figure how to keep it on SAT/CATV when turning on everything? Someone at Best Buy told me I should connect the optical cable to the TV which should solve the issue but I haven't tried it yet. I have the same problem w/ the CT HT150 connected to my UN55f8000 Samsung smart tv. For the games, playstation 3, I figured out that u need to connect directly to the tv to get sound from the sound bar.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-20-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hi infamous880,

You know I had to do a couple of things to make it play -almost- nice but with added hardware..
First off, you are right, making an optical Audio connection and disabling ARC/HDMI-CEC was the first thing I did. I am disabling the TV speakers and using soundbar directly.
Next thing was to introduce an Harmony Remote into the system. I am now successfully(%98) using my Harmony Remote to control all the devices without HDMI turning on/off devices.
Sometimes the SimpLink(AnyNet on Samsung?) kicks in, not sure why, and turns on the TV speaker with my soundbar. But it might be a side effect of my kids turning on/off the TV using the remote occasionally, It surely throws off the command sequence for my Harmony Remote.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Thank u for responding I will try it
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Sa Wct150 Subwoofer For Ht Ct150 , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version