Sound from DVR recordings doesn't mesh with picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony HT-CT260/HT soundbar hooked up to an LG 47 inch HDTV, The TV is hooked up to the soundbar via the optical cord and my DVD player is hooked via the coaxial cable. I've noticed that when I play back programs I've recorded via DVR, the sound and picture don't match. This is not a problem when I watch non-recorded programs. Anyone have any idea why that should be the case and how this may be corrected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is your dvr HD? If so,To get the best picture out of your dvr, you will want to hook it up with hdmi (this also might help your sync issue a little). I have directv and i will notice a slight delay every once in awhile with my recorded programs, it is worse on network shows.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have comcast (or Infinity, as it's now known). My cable box is hooked up to the TV via hdmi. I never noticed this delay problem before using the soundbar. To me it looks like the sound is preceding the picture somewhat on taped programs. This does NOT appear to be the case for network shows etc. BTW, this soundbar does not have hdmi ports, only optical, analog and coaxial.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
before i got my receiver with hdmi i was running my DTV box via optical to my receiver and that is when i had the noticeable sync, as you stated on recordings only. it is the digital transfer from the tv to sound bar. I am assuming that if you were to not use the sound bar the sync issue is not noticeable. This is how it was in my case. very annoying, some WAY worse than others. for me our fox network was the worse.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I tried something today that seems to lessen the sync problem. This sound bar has 6 different "sound fields": movie, game, std., music, p.audio and stereo. When I set it to p.audio, which should be used when analog is selected as input, it seems much more in sync with the recorded programs, even though the input is actually optical. I switch back to std. setting when watching unrecorded programs since there is no sync problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Can you back it up a second and tell us exactly what you have hooked up at the moment and how you have it hooked up? It seems like you have the DVR connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV connected to the soundbar via optical. Is this the case? If so, have you tried connecting the DVR directly to the soundbar via optical (instead of the TV)? In this scenario, you would keep the HDMI cable connected as it is sending video to the TV (and audio if you ever just want to listen through the TV speakers. This is also assuming that your DVR has an optical out.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have my cable box (which I assume is "my DVR") connected to the TV via hdmi and my TV connected to the sound bar via optical. This is what is suggested in the operating instructions. I can not see any optical port on the cable box that would allow me to use your suggestion, but I understand what you're getting at.