Soundbar setup questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I need some questions answered regarding a soundbar I am looking at and the setup/installation of soundbar. I am looking at getting a Polk sound bar, and not sure if it would even work considering my TV doesn't have a optical audio input on it. My Apple TV and Direct TV receiver have the right inputs but xbox360 doesn't as well. So my question is if I were to get an optical audio splitter could I connect my Apple TV, and Direct TV receiver to soundbar? Or does the soundbar need to be connected directly into TV?? I am a total noob at this sort of stuff so if I sound dumb that is why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links below to the TV I have and Soundbar I am looking at getting.

Samsung 32 inch LED TV
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH4003FXZA-specs

Polk Soundbar 5000
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Surroundbar-5000-IHT/dp/B009LH9SMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360699589&sr=8-3&keywords=polk+sound+bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Welcome.

I always recommend connecting sources directly to the soundbar, whenever possible. Given your current setup, I would recommend getting an optical switch. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2#description

You can connect both sources to the switch and then output it to the soundbar. Remember that this is only for audio. You will still need to connect those sources to your TV for video. For example, you can connect the DTV receiver and the ATV to the TV via HDMI. You would also connect both sources to an optical switch. How do you currently have the XBox connected to the TV? Do you have a special adapter that connects to the XBox and has a yellow, red, and white plug coming out of only 1 end? If so, you will need an adapter that has 2 female RCA ends and 1 output as it appears that is what you have for analog inputs on the soundbar. You could connect the yellow video cable to your TV and the red and white into the adapter and then to your soundbar.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Since the TV has NO audio output whatsoever, another option is to consider a different soundbar with A/V inputs. Your source devices would connect directly to the soundbar and you'd run one HDMI cable to your TV.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Welcome.

I always recommend connecting sources directly to the soundbar, whenever possible. Given your current setup, I would recommend getting an optical switch. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2#description

You can connect both sources to the switch and then output it to the soundbar. Remember that this is only for audio. You will still need to connect those sources to your TV for video. For example, you can connect the DTV receiver and the ATV to the TV via HDMI. You would also connect both sources to an optical switch. How do you currently have the XBox connected to the TV? Do you have a special adapter that connects to the XBox and has a yellow, red, and white plug coming out of only 1 end? If so, you will need an adapter that has 2 female RCA ends and 1 output as it appears that is what you have for analog inputs on the soundbar. You could connect the yellow video cable to your TV and the red and white into the adapter and then to your soundbar.

That would be something I could do. My xbox is connected directly to the TV by an HDMI cable. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Since the TV has NO audio output whatsoever, another option is to consider a different soundbar with A/V inputs. Your source devices would connect directly to the soundbar and you'd run one HDMI cable to your TV.

That would be my ideal option but I have yet to find a soundbar that gets good reviews, has HDMI ports, and is at the price point I am looking at. Seems like the ones that have HDMI ports are pretty pricey and I am only looking to spend anywhere from $200-$400. Any suggestions??
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
What about this:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666308122

I have never had one nor have I listened to one but it definitely has the inputs and the price point for you.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

What about this:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666308122

I have never had one nor have I listened to one but it definitely has the inputs and the price point for you.

That looks like that would be perfect for my situation. Only problem would be I would have to get a bigger TV stand because the dimensions on that sound bar are 40 inches so it would be too big for the TV stand. Looks great though! Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

This Toshiba is in your price range also. Has 2 HDMI inputs plus optical & analog to accomodate the xbox.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-SBX4250-Soundbar-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00811NMMI
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

This Toshiba is in your price range also. Has 2 HDMI inputs plus optical & analog to accomodate the xbox.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-SBX4250-Soundbar-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00811NMMI

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that one in mind as well with this researching process.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a tv that does not support arc, and i'm looking at this sound bar from sharp :

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/Audio2/HTSL70.aspx

Now, thing is, does it mean that i have to use a separate optical/rca cable for audio?

or am i able to connect directly from the source into the hdmi in slot of the soundbar and from the out slot to the tv and still receive audio?

i'm using my pc to play blurays, hence i have no need for the sound bar to decode the audio signals.

thanks!
post #11 of 13 Old 02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You can connect the PC directly to the soundbar via HDMI and connect another HDMI from soundbar to TV for video. If you're only connecting the PC, that would be all you need.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 AM

thanks for the response, does this mean if i do what you suggested, the soundbar will be able to play audio? because i'm worried that the soundbar will not be able to play audio without a tv that supports arc if i do not wish to use the rca/headphone options.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtopen View Post

thanks for the response, does this mean if i do what you suggested, the soundbar will be able to play audio? because i'm worried that the soundbar will not be able to play audio without a tv that supports arc if i do not wish to use the rca/headphone options.

ARC is for sending audio FROM a TV. By connecting the PC to the soundbar, video gets sent through to the TV. Audio is processed by the soundbar.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Xbox 360 Console , Polk Audio Surroundbar 5000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Subwoofer