New Sonos Playbar - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 90 Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

I haven't tested the optical out/  digital audio out on my Panasonic Plasma TCP-65VT60, but in the manual it says:
  


DIGITAL AUDIO OUT:  PCM / Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic

I'm also interested in the Sonos Playbar but will only consider if it can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 at least. 

"Mbroadus", please let me know if you hear anything further on this.


I ended up buying a Marantz NR1504 receiver with HDMI inputs and its fantastic.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 90 Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The Panasonic VT60 will pass only PCM stereo via the optical output from connected video sources. It will pass 5.1 or whatever format is present from over the air.

It won't matter what the Sonos will process, if you connect your components to the VT-60, you will receive only 2-channel from the TV output.

David, we are big Apple TV "3" users streaming content from my Apple based media library as well as Netflix and HBO GO.  I guess those would constitute "connected video sources" and not pass through Dolby Digital.  Do you know if connecting the Apple TV directly to the Playbar is feasible at all and whether it would pass through Dolby Digital?

Eddie

Toltec21 is offline  
post #63 of 90 Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't have a detailed manual. Looking at the basic info for the playbar, it has only a single optical connection to be made from your TV to the playbar.

Yes, you could connect the Apple TV device directly to the playbar, but that would be your only connection.

The other solution would be to purchase an optical switcher from Amazon, Monoprice, etc. Connect all of your components to the optical switcher and then the switcher to the soundbar. You would hear whatever audio is being passed by the individual components.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #64 of 90 Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I don't have a detailed manual. Looking at the basic info for the playbar, it has only a single optical connection to be made from your TV to the playbar.

Yes, you could connect the Apple TV device directly to the playbar, but that would be your only connection.

The other solution would be to purchase an optical switcher from Amazon, Monoprice, etc. Connect all of your components to the optical switcher and then the switcher to the soundbar. You would hear whatever audio is being passed by the individual components.

I like your suggestion of an optical switcher (to capture whatever bitstream is coming out of a given source) but I think the over arching limitation is that any hdmi signal pathway going in to the tv or another switcher will have to be down-converted to go into the Playbar.

I'm am THIS CLOSE to the Playbar solution, mostly for Wire Fatigue reasons (I have a Tri-Wired Linn AV System that I am tired of lugging around—it's like living with an old python!) but it seems like they need a substantial feature update to have broader acceptance out there.  As someone else noted, these signal pass through issues are common to a lot of TVs right now, but the Sonos Playbar audio codec management doesn't quite feel "forward" enough to eliminate my reservations.

Toltec21 is offline  
post #65 of 90 Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

I like your suggestion of an optical switcher (to capture whatever bitstream is coming out of a given source) but I think the over arching limitation is that any hdmi signal pathway going in to the tv or another switcher will have to be down-converted to go into the Playbar.


I'm am THIS CLOSE to the Playbar solution, mostly for Wire Fatigue reasons (I have a Tri-Wired Linn AV System that I am tired of lugging around—it's like living with an old python!) but it seems like they need a substantial feature update to have broader acceptance out there.  As someone else noted, these signal pass through issues are common to a lot of TVs right now, but the Sonos Playbar audio codec management doesn't quite feel "forward" enough to eliminate my reservations.

I agree about wire fatigue...main reason why I wanted to go with a Sonos playbar but in the end I couldn't give up HD Audio and ended up buying a receiver. At least HDMI inputs and a single HDMI out cuts down on some wiring.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
post #66 of 90 Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post


I agree about wire fatigue...main reason why I wanted to go with a Sonos playbar but in the end I couldn't give up HD Audio and ended up buying a receiver. At least HDMI inputs and a single HDMI out cuts down on some wiring.

At my local Magnolia/Best Buy here in Austin, there is are another two "high end" sound bars I will investigate for the HD Audio subject.  The sound bar concept will still minimize wires and clutter overall.  Regarding possible ways forward on the hdmi audio, is there a Sonos product solution for 5.1 sound where the speakers are still wireless (like the rears) but a receiver is connected via HDMI?

Toltec21 is offline  
post #67 of 90 Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

At my local Magnolia/Best Buy here in Austin, there is are another two "high end" sound bars I will investigate for the HD Audio subject.  The sound bar concept will still minimize wires and clutter overall.

Regarding HDMI Soundbars, I was looking at the Atlantic Technology Powerbar and the Harman Kardon SB26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

Regarding possible ways forward on the hdmi audio, is there a Sonos product solution for 5.1 sound where the speakers are still wireless (like the rears) but a receiver is connected via HDMI?

I would think that you could connect the Sonos playbar to a receiver via optical just as you would to a TV. I wonder if anyone has done this?  

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
post #68 of 90 Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post


Regarding HDMI Soundbars, I was looking at the Atlantic Technology Powerbar and the Harman Kardon SB26.
I would think that you could connect the Sonos playbar to a receiver via optical just as you would to a TV. I wonder if anyone has done this?  

 


I think the problem remains that you can't pass through Dolby Digital through an Optical Out.  The pathway must be HDMI all the way from "source" to the "playback" stage.  It's part of that "digital protection" aspect of things, I forget the industry term.

 

Although using a receiver would be good for consolidating several sources and the receiver would serve as the "switcher".

Toltec21 is offline  
post #69 of 90 Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post



I think the problem remains that you can't pass through Dolby Digital through an Optical Out.  The pathway must be HDMI all the way from "source" to the "playback" stage.  It's part of that "digital protection" aspect of things, I forget the industry term.

Although using a receiver would be good for consolidating several sources and the receiver would serve as the "switcher".

I believe the TV is not able to pass DD or DTS through the its optical out but a cable box or blu-ray play can. You could possibly have an optical out from the cable box and blu-ray go to an optical switcher then to the playbar?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
post #70 of 90 Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Member
 
hondabbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a Sharp 70le757u and it states right in the manual it will pass DD and DTS through the optical. I guess it depends a lot on what your TV is capable of doing.

hondabbq is offline  
post #71 of 90 Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Newbie
 
BigTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw57 View Post

I have 6 Sonos devices already and am looking at adding a playbar to my Sharp 70-Inch LE750. I only want the 2:1 sound, so I would need to buy the Sonos playbar and subwoofer ($1400). But I'm wondering if it would be better to purchase the Klipsch HD Theater SB 3 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer for $700 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092QGSHM and then add the Sonos Connect Amp ($500) Total $1200. The Klipsch has an input for this too. This would save a few bucks and I wonder if the Klipsch system may sound better and be more compatible with my HDTV (which is the main reason for me considering the Klipsch)

I'm deciding between the two as well.  What'd you end up doing?

BigTT is offline  
post #72 of 90 Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

FYI, folks, I wound up buying the Sonos Playbar and two Play 1s for the rear surrounds and am pretty happy with the set up.  I'm waiting on availability of the Matte Finish Sonos Sub in a few weeks, and then I'll be done with my project.  I am very happy with the finish quality and the overall elegant design and experience using these products.

 

My decision was driven largely by the wireless experience and the "one remote" approach, to keep things simple for my wife and kids, who for years have been prevented from enjoying our home theater setup because of its complexity in operation.

 

Largely I'm viewing Apple TV content connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TCP-65VT60, and then using the Optical Cable out of the VT60 into the Playbar.  I am controlling and monitoring the Playbar via an iPad using the Sonos Controller App.  I don't have a cable box.

 

Mr. Freeman previously clarified that DD5.1 will only be passed through the Panasonic's Optical Out if the content is coming from the TV (makes sense) but it won't pass the DD5.1 if it enters the TV via an HDMI source (like my Apple TV or Oppo Blu Ray).  I am still testing all those scenarios to be conclusive.

I have been testing connecting the Apple TV directly to the Playbar via optical cable, and have gotten DD5.1 on some file formats (purchased iTunes movie and tv show content) but not on content that I have ripped myself using Handbrake.  I am also going to be testing which file formats (containers and audio codecs) will play DD5.1 in this manner if anyone wants to contribute their thoughts on this.


I don't have a sophisticated ear, but there is a dramatic improvement in the stereo imaging or sound field when playing DD5.1 through the Playbar system.  It makes the file format mastery pursuit worth it!

Toltec21 is offline  
post #73 of 90 Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Member
 
majones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

FYI, folks, I wound up buying the Sonos Playbar and two Play 1s for the rear surrounds and am pretty happy with the set up.  I'm waiting on availability of the Matte Finish Sonos Sub in a few weeks, and then I'll be done with my project.  I am very happy with the finish quality and the overall elegant design and experience using these products.

My decision was driven largely by the wireless experience and the "one remote" approach, to keep things simple for my wife and kids, who for years have been prevented from enjoying our home theater setup because of its complexity in operation.

Largely I'm viewing Apple TV content connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TCP-65VT60, and then using the Optical Cable out of the VT60 into the Playbar.  I am controlling and monitoring the Playbar via an iPad using the Sonos Controller App.  I don't have a cable box.

Mr. Freeman previously clarified that DD5.1 will only be passed through the Panasonic's Optical Out if the content is coming from the TV (makes sense) but it won't pass the DD5.1 if it enters the TV via an HDMI source (like my Apple TV or Oppo Blu Ray).  I am still testing all those scenarios to be conclusive.


I have been testing connecting the Apple TV directly to the Playbar via optical cable, and have gotten DD5.1 on some file formats (purchased iTunes movie and tv show content) but not on content that I have ripped myself using Handbrake.  I am also going to be testing which file formats (containers and audio codecs) will play DD5.1 in this manner if anyone wants to contribute their thoughts on this.


I don't have a sophisticated ear, but there is a dramatic improvement in the stereo imaging or sound field when playing DD5.1 through the Playbar system.  It makes the file format mastery pursuit worth it!

This is my setup as well - Playbar, Sub, 2 Play:1's. I recently bought a Monoprice HDMI/Toslink switch 4x1 so I would have all my sources output DD 5.1 to the Playbar. My sources are Apple TV, Roku and DirecTV HD DVR. Like you I have a Panasonic Plasma that I hooked the Monoprice switch to.

Concerning DVDs ripped through Handbrake, I also had the problem of only getting stereo sound played through the Apple TV. I solved it, though, by changing a setting in Handbrake. In the Audio tab, set the first audio track to be the track you want, in AAC sound. Then set the second track to also use the same source track, and select AC3 pass-through. You'll see this tip in the online Handbrake manual.

Ripped concert DVDs I own now sound so much better with 5.1 sound played through the Sonos system. Huge difference.
Toltec21 likes this.

Mark Jones
majones is offline  
post #74 of 90 Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Member
 
yellojello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone used a 12v battery with inverter to power the Play 1's it can be placed truly wireless? Similarly to the Philips Fidelio, except the 12v battery would have to be charged separately. I don't have any power outlets behind my sofa, but rather 10 feet away in different directions.
yellojello is offline  
post #75 of 90 Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Mark, thanks for the feedback, and I've been studying and evaluating my options since my last post above.  There is much to explore, including whether I am going to try that Toslink switch 4x1 you describe.

I was reluctant to do so because part of this project was to be as minimalistic and wireless as possible, but as you describe, getting that sweet 5.1 into the Playbar seems to make a significant difference.  Or in my case, 5.0 since I only ordered the Sonos Sub today and am hoping to receive it this Friday.

 

I could write 1000 words on my experience this last week, but I'll spare everyone.  I will say that I've been experimenting on what my optimum movie file format is in order to enjoy the DD5.1, and I'm pretty sure the AAC track, whether 2.0 or 5.1, always down mixes to 2.0; and that AC3 5.1 is the audio format that will work.

 

What I'm not sure about yet, is whether if AAC 2.0 is Audio Track 1, and AC3 5.1 is Audio Track 2, whether the AC3 DD5.1 will get through reliably.  

I've started using "Subler" to unselect Audio Track 1 (AAC 2.0) and select AC3 5.1, and it appears to work.  I'm also trying to figure out what the downside is to leaving my movie files in that condition.   Lots of experimentation going on.

As a reminder, I've got Apple TV connected wirelessly to my MacPro iTunes Collection, and right now I have the optical out from the ATV going straight into the Playbar.

 

Thanks for any other thoughts you might have and the best way to manage my movie files.

Eddie

Austin, TX

Toltec21 is offline  
post #76 of 90 Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Member
 
majones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Eddie,

I understand what you mean about not wanting to complicate things with the Sonos system. I came from a HT setup with a 7.1 Denon receiver, speakers, stands and wires galore and replacing this system with the Sonos system allowed me to greatly simplify things. I was therefore reluctant to add the switch (Monoprice 7974). But, I figured since I was already using the HDMI cables going from my three sources to the TV, the only thing I was adding to the system was the switch. For me, that was worth getting the sweet 5.1 sound.

Concerning your experience last week, are you talking about ripping DVDs that have DD 5.1 and playing them through the Apple TV? If so, I found DD 5.1 success playing these files from my MacBook Pro on my Apple TV 3 to the Sonos Playbar, Sub and Play:1s with these Handbrake settings:

Choose the Apple TV 3 Profile
Audio tab:
Track 1: English (AC3) (5.1 ch) AAC (Core Audio) Mixdown (Dolby Pro Logic II)
Track 1: English (AC3) (5.1 ch) AC3 Passthru

As you can see, the trick is to select the DD 5.1 track twice and making the settings as shown.

The final thing I had to choose was a setting on the Apple TV. Under Audio settings, make sure Dolby Digital is set to "On" instead of "Auto."

With these settings DD 5.1 is passed through and not down mixed. You can confirm this while something is playing and on a controller selecting Settings/About and seeing DD 5.1 on the Playbar portion.

Now obviously you won't get DD 5.1 sound from your regular music collection since it's 2.1 audio. However, Sonos has announced a feature coming soon that will play full sound on the surrounds when you're playing 2.1 music through the system.

Mark Jones
majones is offline  
post #77 of 90 Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Lots of good observations there Mark, and if I didn't mention before, I have the full blown Linn home theater audio system (was only 5.1) with tri-wired front speakers and bi-wired center channel speaker and so on.  Using the front L & R speaker tri-wire cable is like lugging an anaconda around, and with the requisite cables heading back to five stacked two channel amps, and all of those connected back to a preamp...ugh, the very worst in wire fatigue.  So all that is now boxed and stashed in the attic, including the AV5150 subwoofer, reported to be 110 lbs, but feels like heavier.  Today it's all stashed away and replaced by my current Sonos set up.  

 

And I agree, I probably need to look into that optical switcher (I have it cued up on Amazon) if I will be using more than my Apple TV.  It tells me something though, that I've only used my blu ray player once since Christmas.  I might be going strictly Apple TV and I don't have cable or dvr to worry about.

 

About my Handbrake Settings, I agree with you on the Apple TV 3 Profile for DVD rip settings (which I'm not doing much of anymore).  It's more likely I am ripping other large 1080p file formats with different audio codecs and the default ATV3 Profile has a number of other possible outcomes.  I'm still testing those, but often the default settings for Audio Track 1 wind up being AAC, and Audio Track 2 defaults to AC3 (ffmpeg) instead of AC3 Passthrough.  It has to be the right source file to enable the choice of AC3 Passthrough.

 

I'll continue testing my files and with a little luck, I'll have the Sonos Subwoofer by Friday.

Toltec21 is offline  
post #78 of 90 Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
ptysell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up a Sonos Playbar.
Feel marginal about it currently.
Just to make sure my TV is passing 5.1 via optical, when I run a calibration disc and only pass the center channel from the Blu-Ray -> TV -> Sonos via HDMI and get audio out of the Sonos that implies that I am getting 5.1, correct?
ptysell is online now  
post #79 of 90 Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Member
 
majones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You don't say what controller you're using (iPhone, Android, etc.), but just choose Sonos - Settings - About My Sonos System and look at the entry for the Playbar. Under Audio In, it will say if it's getting Stereo or DD 5.1.

Mark Jones
majones is offline  
post #80 of 90 Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
sparky2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys new ton here and to any forum really !! Recently just purchased Playbar and Sub ☺ it is as good as most folk say. Issue I have is that I bought a new TV stand and have the Playbar positioned within the middle deck of the stand. Please see attached picture and let me knowmofnthe cons and the prosmif any. I appreciate the sides of the Playbar are not meant to be enclosed, well unless they have 300mm either side 😢
sparky2014 is offline  
post #81 of 90 Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally had the chance to get my Playbar up and running this weekend. It is currently replacing a Sonos Play 5 (which I liked), and I'm really impressed with the sound out of this thing. The room is a great room, open to the upstairs and open to the kitchen area, so it is a big space to try to "fill". The Play 5 sounded pretty good, but the Playbar sounds excellent. That is for streaming the Sonos content.

Now, Step 2, was/is to hook it up to also use as the main soundbar for my TV in that space. But, when I went to connect the optical cable, the cable won't stay in the port - it appears there was supposed to be a little door or something on the optical port that is not there, so the cable absolutely won't stay in place, so I haven't been able to see what the TV output sounds like.

I guess my only recourse is an exchange. frown.gif

More waiting.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
post #82 of 90 Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Member
 
BG624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2014 View Post

Hi guys new ton here and to any forum really !! Recently just purchased Playbar and Sub ☺ it is as good as most folk say. Issue I have is that I bought a new TV stand and have the Playbar positioned within the middle deck of the stand. Please see attached picture and let me knowmofnthe cons and the prosmif any. I appreciate the sides of the Playbar are not meant to be enclosed, well unless they have 300mm either side 😢

I believe it's not supposed to sit on it's edge like that but on it's base when sitting on a flat surface even though it faces that way when wall mounted.

Here's a link to the Sonos site re. placement. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1920
BG624 is offline  
post #83 of 90 Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
bswiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone here wall-mounted a PLAYBAR? If so, any tips or pictures? My understanding is that to be per code in the US, you can't just drop the power line through the wall. So what solutions have people used? Something like a PowerBridge - will it fit behind the PLAYBAR?
bswiz is offline  
post #84 of 90 Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Member
 
hondabbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a Sharp lc-70LE757U, and confirmed through the Sonos app that I am receiving DD5.1 to the Playbar. I loaded up a few movies through Netflix as I don't have a Bluray player yet( just finished my renovation and didn't know if wanted a PS3 or Bluray).

I also didn't get the surrounds yet as I wasn't sure I would be able to passthrough to the Playbar so I didn't want to go that route.

 

I was lucky that when I purchased my TV last December, that I didn't know about the Sonos yet. Luckily it was one of the few that do passthrough DD 5.1.

hondabbq is offline  
post #85 of 90 Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Member
 
Toltec21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by   View Post
 

I have a Sharp lc-70LE757U, and confirmed through the Sonos app that I am receiving DD5.1 to the Playbar. I loaded up a few movies through Netflix as I don't have a Bluray player yet( just finished my renovation and didn't know if wanted a PS3 or Bluray).

I also didn't get the surrounds yet as I wasn't sure I would be able to passthrough to the Playbar so I didn't want to go that route.

 

I was lucky that when I purchased my TV last December, that I didn't know about the Sonos yet. Luckily it was one of the few that do passthrough DD 5.1.

Hondabbq, many tv's will only output DD 5.1 through the Optical Out if the signal "originates" in the TV like via an over the air broadcast or an App like Netflix.  Are you accessing your Netflix account via an App in your TV?  I don't have the vocabulary for it, but the problem is in the Digital Rights Managment rules where the content providers don't want their HD and lossless audio content "passing through" your TV via HDMI and on to some recording device...hence the audio output downgrades to Dolby 2.0.  If a TV were to output that lossless audio then it will have circumvented the intended design of all the manufacturers that signed licensing agreements that they wouldn't do that.

 

Here's the Sonos web page where they have an extensive list of many TV models and what the Optical Out will be outputting:  

 

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931


Good luck!

Toltec21 is offline  
post #86 of 90 Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Newbie
 
fredrikreiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Got a Sony W905 (+ playbar) that can output DD 5.1 through the optical out.

I´m looking for a media server that can transcode to DD 5.1 .... Tried serviio, no luck. It works with PLEX but there is a bug that messes up the aspect ratio. Any other ideas?

fredrikreiman is offline  
post #87 of 90 Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
bswiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikreiman View Post
Got a Sony W905 (+ playbar) that can output DD 5.1 through the optical out.
I´m looking for a media server that can transcode to DD 5.1 .... Tried serviio, no luck. It works with PLEX but there is a bug that messes up the aspect ratio. Any other ideas?
XBMC can supposedly transcode although I haven't tried it with my PLAYBAR. I realize it's not a server so maybe not what you are looking for.
bswiz is offline  
post #88 of 90 Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
fredrikreiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
XBMC can supposedly transcode although I haven't tried it with my PLAYBAR. I realize it's not a server so maybe not what you are looking for.
yeah, it works with xbmc too. but the aspect ratio is wrong with that one too, exactly like plex. Think it is a sony issue....
fredrikreiman is offline  
post #89 of 90 Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Member
 
ashepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious where you got your tv stand and how much? Would it hold a 65" model?
Thanks
Adam.
ashepp is offline  
post #90 of 90 Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Member
 
hondabbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all of you that are wondering, if you go into the settings icon on your Sonos app, there is a " about my Sonos" tab. Click on that tab when using your Playbar and you will see what kind of signal you are receiving to your Playbar.
hondabbq is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off