New Sonos Playbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 90 Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sonos's $700 Playbar will bring you 9 speakers, 1 optical - in, 2 Ethernet, no sub, no HDMI no DTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
I am moving into my first single family home at the end of this month, starting a home theater system from scratch, purchased a Panasonic VT50 55" and I am seriously considering going with Sonos for a full home system.

Originally wanted to do a sound bar for the easy set-up and to not have to purchase a receiver and wire up my family room, thought about the Bose SR1 (for shame), but got the news on the Playbar this week, looks to be a solid/expensive option with the real 5.1 surround ability with the addition of a couple Play3s.

Anyone out there think this is a crazy purchase based on Sonos pricing and sound quailty. I want to do the Playbar and Sub from Sonos to start and possibly add the Play3s later. I know not many people have heard the Playbar, but some reviews I've read:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/12/sonos-playbar-home-theater-soundbar/
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/sonos-playbar-1130807/review

have been positive.

Basically I'm asking if there are better sound bar/wireless sub options out there that would offer the ease of set-up/enhanced user interface/sound quality/music streaming integration for $1,400?
post #3 of 90 Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a family room TV I have been looking at Soundbars for, and separately I am incrementally adding Sonos throughout my house as a longer-term project. I preordered the playbar immediately.

While I'm quite certain that the quality of the Sonos soundbar isn't anything approaching what you'd get for a $700-level soundbar, the math I have is really this is comparing the alternative for me which is a sonos:amp ($500) plus an automatic speaker selector ($100) and I'm in for $600 already just to connect up Sonos in this room to ANY speakers - so for $100 extra I get the soundbar and everything integrated into a single tidy device - or I'm looking at getting a soundbar for TV and then a separate Sonos play.3 or play.5 to stick on a table somewhere - which maybe is a reasonable alternative if you don't mind multiple devices and that sitting out, but seems messier to me.

The biggest downside I see compared to cheaper soundbars is they mostly come with external subs so if that was a big deal for me, or if I was more apt to really go with a serious set of surround wiring for my family room, I'd probably pass on this, but for my use case I just need some reasonble quality sound in small form factor as this isn't my main home theater viewing location.
post #4 of 90 Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anyone know if the Playbar has an "infrared repeater" feature? At 3.35 inches the Playbar is short, but will still be tall enough to obscure the ir sensor on my TV (Panasonic GT30) unless I raise it. It's already pretty high up, mounted above a fireplace, and I really don't want it to go higher. However, with two ir sensors on opposite sides of the bar, can it repeat the signal from my remote, to the tv behind it?

This would be a highly convenient feature, which I know certain other soundbars have, and preclude the need to re-mount my TV an inch or two higher.
post #5 of 90 Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM

According to the SONOS online user guide:
Quote:
IR repeater

When the PLAYBAR is placed in front of your TV on a tabletop, it may block the IR sensor on your TV. The IR repeater setting allows the PLAYBAR to repeat the signal to your TV. This setting is On by default.
post #6 of 90 Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I read this article the other day and it's a tad bit disappointing that it doesn't include a subwoofer, especially with the $700 price tag. Regardless, I love the obvious integration this has into the "Sonos" ecosystem. Can't wait to hear one, I've been nothing but impressed with every piece of Sonos equiptment I've played with before.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #7 of 90 Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

I read this article the other day and it's a tad bit disappointing that it doesn't include a subwoofer, especially with the $700 price tag.
Well, considering the Sonos Sub is $700 by itself, that should be no surprise.
post #8 of 90 Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM

price is a but high for a sonos for me. For that price ill probably spend a but more and get the martin logan soundbar. The design is sleek. looks good from the pic and im glad it has tweeter as well instead of just full range speakers but honestly, i haven't been impressed with the sound of the play 3 and 5. Maybe the speakercraft cs3 is a better buy with the money or a zvox 580
post #9 of 90 Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM

I am very interested in this for the family room of my new house. I was going to have a full surround sound system plus a sonos system but thinking this may just be easier as I don't really need surround sound as I have it in the basement theater. Mostly just TV watched in family room plus listening to music. Can't wait to hear how this sounds
post #10 of 90 Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 11
We got the Sonos Playbar in today, and I got it up and installed with the Sonos Subwoofer, and it is an amazing sounding unit. I can't tell you how impressed I was with the build quality, and solid feel of the unit when we opened it. If you are anywhere near the northern Virginia area, come on down and check it out, http://www.crossoveravs.com.

Check out our website, and come check out our showroom. http://www.crossoveravs.com
Klipsch, Sonos, JVC, Onkyo, Martin Logan, KEF, JVC, Salamander Designs, Parasound, and more!
post #11 of 90 Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM

......support only dolby digital??....no dts???.....no for me.
post #12 of 90 Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Liked: 52
I wouldn't make that a deciding factor. I'd rather have a great sounding piece of equipment that only plays Dolby Digital than a lousy sounding piece that handles all the latest formats. There are a lot of lousy sounding sound bars IMHO, I haven't heard the Sonos bar so can't comment on it specifically. But, in general features don't always trump quality.
post #13 of 90 Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 AM

How is music from the Playbar vs a Sonos Connect Amp and bookshelf speakers?

I will definitely get for the bedroom but not sure about the family room. Right now I have a soundbar for TV (which I want to upgrade) and then a pair of 20 year old Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers connected to Sonos amp for music (want to upgrade these speakers too).

Thanks!
post #14 of 90 Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

How is music from the Playbar vs a Sonos Connect Amp and bookshelf speakers?

I will definitely get for the bedroom but not sure about the family room. Right now I have a soundbar for TV (which I want to upgrade) and then a pair of 20 year old Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers connected to Sonos amp for music (want to upgrade these speakers too).

Thanks!
Music is really good. I played with it for about 5 hours yesterday and played everything from Pink Floyd to Notorious B.I.G. The Play Bar sounds great off axis, on axis, and filled up my main showroom which is almost 40' X 30'. I am going to hook it up for a movie today and see how it does with some dialogue.

Check out our website, and come check out our showroom. http://www.crossoveravs.com
Klipsch, Sonos, JVC, Onkyo, Martin Logan, KEF, JVC, Salamander Designs, Parasound, and more!
post #15 of 90 Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi8matteo View Post

......support only dolby digital??....no dts???.....no for me.

This is not for your main system. This is designed to be a great addition to an already stacked whole house audio need, and to make your bedroom an easy addition. If you want all of the features, then I suggest a receiver, passive sound bar, rears, subs, and a Sonos connect to tie it in to the rest of the house.

post #16 of 90 Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 AM

TAPOUT...i undestand...but for me, i need one soundbar for all and support of all the codec, the only one a listen is the 3300 with a demo but the sound is too much cold....so i looking to another one but is hard too find.....sorry for my English.
post #17 of 90 Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got mine and hooked it up. Instantly discovered the major flaw of this design, which is my TV (and looks like most TVs out there) only output stereo through its digital output from HDMI sources. So I can hook it directly up to my cable box to get the 5.1 optical out, but then I can't play sound through my Samsung apps into it and it can't auto-switch between TV/sonos because my cable box sound is always on. Or I can hook it directly up to my TV and use it with stereo output. I'm not sure with just playbar the difference between stereo and real 5.1 would be noticeable or not, but definitely makes it unusable with play.3's for surround channels when you aren't even getting actual surround.
post #18 of 90 Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone compared the Playbar to paired Play:5's? Thoughts?
post #19 of 90 Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatl View Post

Got mine and hooked it up. Instantly discovered the major flaw of this design, which is my TV (and looks like most TVs out there) only output stereo through its digital output from HDMI sources. So I can hook it directly up to my cable box to get the 5.1 optical out, but then I can't play sound through my Samsung apps into it and it can't auto-switch between TV/sonos because my cable box sound is always on. Or I can hook it directly up to my TV and use it with stereo output. I'm not sure with just playbar the difference between stereo and real 5.1 would be noticeable or not, but definitely makes it unusable with play.3's for surround channels when you aren't even getting actual surround.

Yeah you are right that most tvs can only output that option, I believe the only television that can do a better output is the hx950 from sony.

Currently Using:
SONY 55HX750
LG 55LM7600
B&W Panorama 1
post #20 of 90 Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM

I was all about becoming a Sonos owner with the new Playbar, but my Panasonic GT50 only being able to output PCM 2.0 seems to be a deal breaker. Or I just accept that I might not notice the difference in quality.

Are there any other solutions out there for bypassing the conversion? I'm thinking a TOSLink Switch that could take my OTA audio from my TV and also audio from other devices (e.g., PS3) while HDMI delivers video to the TV. Any downsides to doing that besides cables, cables, and more cables? Does anyone have a favorite TOSLink Switcher, preferably one that could automatically switch or at least with a remote.
post #21 of 90 Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 AM

First off, I own 2 play 5's, 2 play 3's and one zp120... I now own the the playbar for the family room. It is hooked to my Panny GT50 via toslink. FWIW, the playbar sounds great, we watched life of pi last night and I'm not sure i could tell the differnece between DD or DTS. You could hear everything.... I guess if you had a dedicated home theater room this probably wouldn't be the best option but for a family/living room I think it is the best solution. So far, I love it, and will hopefully play with it more this weekend. Let me know if you have any questions.
one321 likes this.
post #22 of 90 Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Can you let me know how the playbar sounds compared to the play 5
post #23 of 90 Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post

First off, I own 2 play 5's, 2 play 3's and one zp120... I now own the the playbar for the family room. It is hooked to my Panny GT50 via toslink. FWIW, the playbar sounds great, we watched life of pi last night and I'm not sure i could tell the differnece between DD or DTS. You could hear everything.... I guess if you had a dedicated home theater room this probably wouldn't be the best option but for a family/living room I think it is the best solution. So far, I love it, and will hopefully play with it more this weekend. Let me know if you have any questions.
I know there are a ton of reasons why Sonos is better than the Panasonic home theater systems, but it's depressing to think that the Panny GT50 can pass full audio over HDMI ARC to their system while the audio to the Sonos gets crippled by TOSLink output limitations. I'm debating on whether I want the sound quality and experience of the Sonos ecosystem or if I should just do one of these, which are probably just alright in most every aspect. The only reason I'm even considering this is because the TOSLink PCM 2.0 downconversion, but your post gives me hope that it probably just doesn't matter to the sound quality enough to really worry. I mean, we are talking soundbars here.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/panasonic-reveals-pricing-2013-home-theater-systems/

Speaking of ARC, the Panny TV can turn on its sibling sound systems with ARC. How does the Sonos turn on and shut off? Do you simply leave it on in a suspended state waiting to receive audio from the TV or streamed over your network?
post #24 of 90 Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one321 View Post

I know there are a ton of reasons why Sonos is better than the Panasonic home theater systems, but it's depressing to think that the Panny GT50 can pass full audio over HDMI ARC to their system while the audio to the Sonos gets crippled by TOSLink output limitations. I'm debating on whether I want the sound quality and experience of the Sonos ecosystem or if I should just do one of these, which are probably just alright in most every aspect. The only reason I'm even considering this is because the TOSLink PCM 2.0 downconversion, but your post gives me hope that it probably just doesn't matter to the sound quality enough to really worry. I mean, we are talking soundbars here.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/panasonic-reveals-pricing-2013-home-theater-systems/

I realize this is an issue but for what I will use it for the sound is great for itunes, vudu and hulu. I also have a bluray player that I have not tried yet due to time constraints but realize that it will down decode. I still don't see that much of an issue because like you said it is a sound bar. I will add the sub in the next few weeks and I'm sure that will improve the sound a little more.

Speaking of ARC, the Panny TV can turn on its sibling sound systems with ARC. How does the Sonos turn on and shut off? Do you simply leave it on in a suspended state waiting to receive audio from the TV or streamed over your network?

As far as I can tell the sonos does not turn off but maybe goes to sleep. It comes on automatically when the tv is turned on or when playing music from it just like the other sonos componets.
post #25 of 90 Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

Can you let me know how the playbar sounds compared to the play 5

I will have more time this weekend but you get a wider sound from the playbar than the pay 5. They are used for two different purposes, the playbar is meant to be under or near your tv and the 5 is meant for sound in a kitchen, bedroom etc...
post #26 of 90 Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys and gals, if you are disappointed that the playbar lacks DTS support, please go here: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/please_add_support_for_dts_for_the_sonos_playbar and post your frustration. Maybe with enough support from the community, Sonos will here our voices and add DTS support to the Playbar.
post #27 of 90 Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM

This device is the solution for the absurd crippling of the playbar, IF it strips the HDCP from the HDMI connection. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221203009829&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 they cant advertise it does, but I suspect it does. I've found the same item from various sources new on the web. I am more than pissed learning after dropping close to 2 grand my sonos 5.1 has been dummied down to 2.0 because OTHER PEOPLE may try and steal the content. I am currently looking for a grey market device, I think this may be it. My TV will not put out 5.1 optically. If this device does not strip the HDCP, it'll get dumbed down to 2.0 anyway. The search will then continue........
post #28 of 90 Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post

Hey guys and gals, if you are disappointed that the playbar lacks DTS support, please go here: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/please_add_support_for_dts_for_the_sonos_playbar and post your frustration. Maybe with enough support from the community, Sonos will here our voices and add DTS support to the Playbar.

I dont think its worth the time for me to even go there and post. For 2 reasons...one, I think they eventually will get it (by that time I will have another soundbar). and two....wtf did they release it without that for in the first place?

I went to the store and saw this on Open Box, was excited because I was waiting for it to come out so I could try it and if I didnt like it, move on to another solution (been eying the Yamaha's). got it for $600. I knew about the sub price before I left the store but wanted to try it out at home. To get the whole surround as intended, its $2k. Soundbar and sub is virtually same price as the Bose. Didnt really want to spend that much for 2 pieces. Anyway....this bar by itself isnt worth $700....I would say half of that at best. Its only worth $700 if you are going to do the whole setup and add another $1300 on top of that.

2 ethernet connections and one optical was kind of surprising. I was wondering why the box and booklets have very little info and couldnt find the supported formats. I really want to see whats in this sub that makes it $700. I thought about it and at this time, that was the dealbreaker...but I wasnt ready to dismiss it altogether as I felt it could be a really good system. Put in Avatar. The version I have only has one English track...and its in DTS-MA. When the movie began....silence. I was like...what the..? Went to other languages which were all in DD and played fine. Looked up online and saw it doesnt support DTS or TrueHD and boxed it up right away. Returning today. I gave it a chance but thats a lot of money to spend for so little features. Albeit it wont be wireless, I can spend much less and get much better sound. I can only see this working for people who are ready to drop $2k on a wireless system.
post #29 of 90 Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegm Hankie View Post

Does anyone know if the Playbar has an "infrared repeater" feature? At 3.35 inches the Playbar is short, but will still be tall enough to obscure the ir sensor on my TV (Panasonic GT30) unless I raise it. It's already pretty high up, mounted above a fireplace, and I really don't want it to go higher. However, with two ir sensors on opposite sides of the bar, can it repeat the signal from my remote, to the tv behind it?

This would be a highly convenient feature, which I know certain other soundbars have, and preclude the need to re-mount my TV an inch or two higher.

yes, it does. they told me that when I got it.
post #30 of 90 Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM

UPDATE: THIS solved my toslink problem just fine. Be advised, no dolby digital PLUS on the soundbar, just dolby digital. So for now, no netflix 5.1. Other than that, amazon prime streaming 5.1 no problem whatsoever.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page