Problems with HDMI and ARC when switching inputs with Vizio E601i-A3 tv and VHT215 soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, here's my setup:

Vizio E601i-A3 television
Vizio VHT215 soundbar
Motorola DCT3416 cable box
LG BD570 bluray player

tv HDMI 1 (ARC) into soundbar HDMI ARC

cable box HDMI into soundbar HDMI 1

bluray HDMI into tv HDMI 2

I enabled the CEC functions on the television and am able to control the soundbar with my Comcast remote, which I'm absolutely thrilled about. I programmed the Comcast remote to control aspects of the tv, like switching inputs, so it is essentially now a universal remote.However I've run into the following problems:

When turning on the tv, cable box, and soundbar, the soundbar automatically defaults to HDMI ARC -- and I get no sound or picture. I then have to grab the soundbar remote and switch to the HMDI 1 input, which then gives me sound and picture. When switching from watching tv to the bluray, the soundbar defaults to HDMI ARC again, but this time everything switches flawlessly and I get sound with picture. Switching back from bluray to watch tv, however, is quite glitchy. The soundbar again defaults to HDMI ARC leaving me with no sound and picture, while the tv screen will sometimes flash all green or static. After grabbing the soundbar remote and switching to input HDMI 1 on the soundbar, the sound returns after a short delay, while the tv screen will sometimes flicker and after a slightly longer delay, show a picture.

So my main problem here is that the soundbar defaults automatically to HDMI ARC, which is not at all helpful for when I'm trying to watch tv. What can I do to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Why not try switching your connections? Cable box to TV and BD player to soundbar. What you're running into is that cable boxes don't have CEC so the soundbar doesn't recognize an active source and defaults to the TV input.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ok, that seems to be doing the trick now. Thanks for the reply!

Now in terms of sound quality, am I getting the best in Dolby Digital from this connection type when watching Blurays? I initially had this setup with a digital optical cord instead of HDMI, but read that my sound was most likely being downsampled.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
With the BD player connected directly to the soundbar you'll get the best possible audio from your movies!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio Vht215
Gear in this thread - Vht215 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page