Passive LCR soundbar with interaural crosstalk cancellation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
turboman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hello
I am looking at a soundbar becaue of aestaethic reasons (myself and WAF). I was considering LCR soundbars with additional surround satellites, in order to get proper surround. But I read that the Left and Right speakers on a soundbar are too close together to get a proper soundstage, a proper separation of channels. Beneficial for that are soundbars with interaural crosstalk cancellation. I looked at:
- GoldenEar Technology SuperCinema 3D Array
- Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3
Especially the GoldenEar has several good reviews.

Has anyone experience with such a concept: standard AV-Receiver, passive LCR soundbarwith interaural crosstalk cancellation, additional sub and surrounds?
What soundbars with those features can you recommend? Particularly any experience with the GoldenEar (maybe not, it is quite new) and the Definitive Technology?
turboman123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

hello
I am looking at a soundbar becaue of aestaethic reasons (myself and WAF). I was considering LCR soundbars with additional surround satellites, in order to get proper surround. But I read that the Left and Right speakers on a soundbar are too close together to get a proper soundstage, a proper separation of channels. Beneficial for that are soundbars with interaural crosstalk cancellation. I looked at:
- GoldenEar Technology SuperCinema 3D Array
- Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3
Especially the GoldenEar has several good reviews.

Has anyone experience with such a concept: standard AV-Receiver, passive LCR soundbarwith interaural crosstalk cancellation, additional sub and surrounds?
What soundbars with those features can you recommend? Particularly any experience with the GoldenEar (maybe not, it is quite new) and the Definitive Technology?

Even I am looking for a good passive LCR soundbar. I want to avoid installing 3 separate on wall LCR speakers. I have auditioned B&W and MartinLogan but both are powered. I would add PSB Imagine W3 to the list too. Let me know if you end up buying one.
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
zmijasu2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the GoldenEar Soundbar along with the Invisa 525 in-ceiling speakers. I could not be happier. Great sound, the L/R separation works very well. I have it placed below the tv which is hanging above fireplace. The soundbar is slighly above ear level when sitting.

I have the invisa 525 installed in a vaulted ceiling, the overall surround sound is phenomenal. You do need a subwoofer for bass, like with any soundbar. The soundbar can get pretty loud, listening to music in 7channel stereo enhancer (Yamaha receiver) sounds great. Amazing sound overall.

It is quite heavy and looks sharp.,
zmijasu2k3 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
turboman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmijasu2k3 View Post

I bought the GoldenEar Soundbar along with the Invisa 525 in-ceiling speakers. I could not be happier. Great sound, the L/R separation works very well. I have it placed below the tv which is hanging above fireplace. The soundbar is slighly above ear level when sitting.

I have the invisa 525 installed in a vaulted ceiling, the overall surround sound is phenomenal. You do need a subwoofer for bass, like with any soundbar. The soundbar can get pretty loud, listening to music in 7channel stereo enhancer (Yamaha receiver) sounds great. Amazing sound overall.

It is quite heavy and looks sharp.,

hello zmijasu2k3,
thanks for your reply.
Was this your first post since you joined in 2006? Congratulations.
About the sound separation between Left and Right. Can you compare from experience with separate speakers?
turboman123 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Member
 
wittkoje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmijasu2k3 View Post

I bought the GoldenEar Soundbar along with the Invisa 525 in-ceiling speakers. I could not be happier. Great sound, the L/R separation works very well. I have it placed below the tv which is hanging above fireplace. The soundbar is slighly above ear level when sitting.

I have the invisa 525 installed in a vaulted ceiling, the overall surround sound is phenomenal. You do need a subwoofer for bass, like with any soundbar. The soundbar can get pretty loud, listening to music in 7channel stereo enhancer (Yamaha receiver) sounds great. Amazing sound overall.

It is quite heavy and looks sharp.,

I just had a similar install last week. I have a vaulted ceiling room and installed Invisa 650's for surrounds, paired with the SuperCinema 3D Array and Forcefield 3 sub. The sound quality is remarkable, especially for music...truly incredible. Wow! I see why all the professional reviews out there rave about the quality of music played through the 3D Array.

The sound separation between the left and right on the 3D Array is really quite phenomenal .... don't know if its due to the Interaural crosslink technology or what. I can tell a difference between this and a true 5.1 system with individual front L/R's, but only by a little.

I also need to point out how helpful the moderator on the GoldenEar website forum was with some install questions I had. Very helpful to get speaker specific information with a "new" product like the SuperCinema 3D Array.

After listening to MANY soundbars (passive and active), I couldn't find any that compared to the overall sound quality of the Golden Ear. Given the incredibly small packaging of this soundbar, its the perfect blend of form and function. If you are considering a soundbar, you owe it to yourself to make it to a Golden Ear dealer to hear this thing. It sounded so good that I went out and bought a receiver so that I could power it, versus sticking with a passive system.
wittkoje is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Member
 
lifeis11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+1 for the golden ear

demo'd the MartinLogan and B&W at the store, slight not to the B&W, but no where near the extra cost.

decided on the MartinLogan and used it in my home for a week or so. better than tv speakers by a large margin, but hardly anything approaching HT caliber, imo.

demo'd the golden ear in a different store yesterday: night and day. Honestly, unless you were TOTALLY against a woofer of any kind, i would go golden ear over any other soundbar on the market right now. crisp, clean, in a league of its own. the ML certainly had more bass, so if you need one stop shopping or you cant have a sub, this might be tough to beat. but for marginally more (1000 soundbar, 200 receiver, 500 sub), you get far superior sound with limited size penalty.

Paradigm Studio 100 Floorstanding Loudspeakers
REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz PM8004 Integrated
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6
Salamander Archetype 5.0 Equipment Rack
Chord ChameleonPlus, CobraPlus interconnect RCA
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
lifeis11 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Newbie
 
Newbie314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post

+1 for the golden ear

demo'd the MartinLogan and B&W at the store, slight not to the B&W, but no where near the extra cost.

decided on the MartinLogan and used it in my home for a week or so. better than tv speakers by a large margin, but hardly anything approaching HT caliber, imo.

demo'd the golden ear in a different store yesterday: night and day. Honestly, unless you were TOTALLY against a woofer of any kind, i would go golden ear over any other soundbar on the market right now. crisp, clean, in a league of its own. the ML certainly had more bass, so if you need one stop shopping or you cant have a sub, this might be tough to beat. but for marginally more (1000 soundbar, 200 receiver, 500 sub), you get far superior sound with limited size penalty.

Thanks. That was good information. Any comments on Def Tech Mythos SSA-50 soundbar? Definitive Technology seems to be the only vendor that has passive soundbar with surround sound. Without surround sound does Goldenear leave something to be desired? I was also considering PSB Imagine w3 which is also passive and only LCR (no surround) but I can't find it on display anywhere close by.
Newbie314 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Member
 
guju69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also looking for anyone that has a def tech passive soundbar install for LCR that can comment. Looking to install in my office under the 46 inch Sony led tv. The size is perfect and would be using an amp to power it

Any comments on the PSB passive LCR?


Sent from my iPhone
guju69 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
esoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates to this in the past 10 months? I would like to replace my traditional LCR (3 speakers) with one. I currently have rear surrounds and would like to keep those if I can. I have looked at the current suggestions and while they are appealing, I was wondering if there was a good passive LCR soundbar in the $500 or so range (or less) that people would recommend.
esoh is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
LehmannCPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm looking at the following non-powered (passive) LCR/soundbars for my new great room:

 

Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50

PSB Imagine W3

Golden Ear Supercinema 3D Array

Artison Studio Series

 

I really like the Artison soundbar as I can select the size I want for my TV and their support seems to be pretty awesome.  However, I've not heard of this company before this forum and am hesitant to pull the trigger on the brand.  Will it even be around in a year?

 

I like Definitive Technology.  I've had their speakers in the past and they were/are a wonderful speaker company.  Great build quality, great sound and reasonable prices.  The one thing I don't like about the Mythos SSA-50 is that it's a 5-speaker system.  I am really only looking for a 3-speaker, L/C/R system for the front.  I have rear surrounds already.

 

I hesitate with PSB.  Years ago, PSB was not considered a great brand.  Not sure what strides they've made, but I was surprised to see that their soundbar was over $1000.  I don't think I'd pay that much for PSB.

 

I really am drawn to the Golden Ear 3D array.  I am not familiar with the company, but I am familiar with the founder Sandy Gross, who also founded Polk Audio and Definitive Technology.  I need to go test drive one of these.

 

Any thoughts?

LehmannCPA is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Senior Member
 
ttlnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Triad, James loudspeaker and Leon also make custom sized LCR bars and the bar is custom sized not just the grill like Artison. A lot of other companies make LCR bars. Atlantic Technology, Paradigm, Episode, Boston Acoustics, KEF, Phase Technolgy, etc. You'll have to decide which ones best fits your needs.
ttlnb is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
mlc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if you don't want the 5 speaker solution, like the ssa-50 from Definitive.. then you can try the 3 speaker passive bar, XTR-SSA3, from Definitive, which is what I ended up with. Typically goes for $800.. but you can find it for $600 if you look really hard.

My setup has the TV over the fireplace, so this unit is sitting on the mantel just under the TV... I have a couple of older Boston Acoustic Bravo's handling the 2 rear channels from my old setup, so those are still in place.. along with a HSU sub.. powered by a Yamaha 575 receiver....

The dispersion is actually pretty good .. considering this is a soundbar of sorts.. you definitely find yourself looking around for front left and right speakers... They also play very cleanly when cranked up...sound accurate, and appear to be very well built.

I wouldn't recommend without a sub, or without rear surrounds (for movie playback) if you're used to a conventional 5.1 setup... They are very lacking on the low end... so a decent sub is a must...Definitive recommends the crossover at 110 or 120 I believe.. depending if you sit them on a shelf or wall mount them. I ran the Yamaha YPAO calibration, and it set them to 120 to give you an idea.

If you're a move watcher, then the rear surrounds are a must as well.. They sounded okay on their own, but the room really opens up when I connected my 2 rear channels ...

I didn't get a chance to compare them to the Golden Ears.. so I can't comment on those..

Hope this helps

Mike
LehmannCPA likes this.
mlc5 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Kipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Artison is a solid brand, started by one of the founders of Infinity (later purchased by Harmon). I have had their LRS surrouonds for several years (the only speaker from them I've heard). They are superb in every way and I would not hesitate to try anything from them given my experience with the surrounds. As to your soundbar choices, when I purchased my LCR passive soundbar, I auditioned the DefTech SSA-50. It is a very solid choice, played down to 80hz (very important to me) and was in my final 3. In the end, I selected the Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio, which I can't say enough good things about. I didn't listen to the PSB or the GE, but based on their specs and driver size, they wouldn't play down to 80hz, which I found in my auditioning made a big difference to me.

Kipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehmannCPA View Post

I'm looking at the following non-powered (passive) LCR/soundbars for my new great room:

Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50
PSB Imagine W3
Golden Ear Supercinema 3D Array
Artison Studio Series

I really like the Artison soundbar as I can select the size I want for my TV and their support seems to be pretty awesome.  However, I've not heard of this company before this forum and am hesitant to pull the trigger on the brand.  Will it even be around in a year?

I like Definitive Technology.  I've had their speakers in the past and they were/are a wonderful speaker company.  Great build quality, great sound and reasonable prices.  The one thing I don't like about the Mythos SSA-50 is that it's a 5-speaker system.  I am really only looking for a 3-speaker, L/C/R system for the front.  I have rear surrounds already.

I hesitate with PSB.  Years ago, PSB was not considered a great brand.  Not sure what strides they've made, but I was surprised to see that their soundbar was over $1000.  I don't think I'd pay that much for PSB.

I really am drawn to the Golden Ear 3D array.  I am not familiar with the company, but I am familiar with the founder Sandy Gross, who also founded Polk Audio and Definitive Technology.  I need to go test drive one of these.

Any thoughts?
Kipa is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Definitive Technology Solocinema Xtr Sound Bar System

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off