Yamaha YAS 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this a good option for a smaller room such as a bedroom that has been converted into a media room? It would be paired with a LG-55LM7600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmathis View Post

Is this a good option for a smaller room such as a bedroom that has been converted into a media room? It would be paired with a LG-55LM7600.

Is this the only soundbar you've been considering? I've been impressed with what I've seen from both YAS101 and 201 for the dollar. So I guess an answer for you would be yes, it's a very solid option for the purpose you've mentioned, but then again what are you looking for out of the soundbar in terms of performance, feature, etc?

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Is this the only soundbar you've been considering? I've been impressed with what I've seen from both YAS101 and 201 for the dollar. So I guess an answer for you would be yes, it's a very solid option for the purpose you've mentioned, but then again what are you looking for out of the soundbar in terms of performance, feature, etc?

I've also considered the Polk Audio 6000 unit, however, the "less than 2" depth" of the soundbar makes me think it will not have as much of a fullness sound compared to the 201 unit. I want the wireless subwoofer option of the 201 as opposed to the 101. The univolume feature is important as I hate very few things in this world, but instant sound blaring commercials is one that I do hate. The voice clarity feature is a feature I would probably use also. I don't really understand why the Yamaha 201 is practically ignored on this web site.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmathis View Post

I've also considered the Polk Audio 6000 unit, however, the "less than 2" depth" of the soundbar makes me think it will not have as much of a fullness sound compared to the 201 unit. I want the wireless subwoofer option of the 201 as opposed to the 101. The univolume feature is important as I hate very few things in this world, but instant sound blaring commercials is one that I do hate. The voice clarity feature is a feature I would probably use also. I don't really understand why the Yamaha 201 is practically ignored on this web site.

The Polk Audio 6000 is a pretty solid soundbar, I've been impressed with it given it's smaller design. I do however think the subwoofer is a little "light" on the Polk and doesn't necessarily mesh as well as the sub on the 201, which actually surprised me a bit. I don't know why 201 has been ignored, again I think it's a very capable soundbar. The only other one I'd look at in your price range is the Klipsch SB1. That's another one that I've been extremely impressed by. The subwoofer is stellar and the vocals have great clarity. I've tested this one with Tron:Legacy the Disney remake, and it was very solid throughout and held it's own against a comparable 2.1 "component" setup.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Take a look at the JBL SB-400 if its in your price range http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JpcMgU5g0yD/p_109SB400/JBL-Cinema-SB-400.html?tp=47366. I replaced a YAS 101 with a wired sub woofer (which essentially made it a 201) and its about a 5 fold increase in sound quality and at least double in power, this is in a medium size bedroom. The JBL has 3 HDMI inputs and an ARC output so you only need 1 HDMI cable going to your TV and everything else can be attached to the sound bar.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

My parents just bought one, upon my advice.

I listened to it a couple of times, and compared to the sound of the tv (a Samsung 5300 - the sound was reviewed good for a flatscreen tv) the difference is night and day. I can't compare it to any other soundbar, as I've never heard one before rolleyes.gif. I myself have a 5.0 system with floorstanders and an AV receiver connected by the pre-outs to a stereo amp for the fronts, so that's the other end of the spectrum to compare with.

Considering their price and modest volume of the system, I find the sound very good.

Good: sound; price; wireless subwoofer; repeater for remote control

Bad: only 2 S/PDIF's as input; few options to adjust sound (you can set the volume of the sw compared to the bar; stereo surround; clear voice on/off - that's it)

Btw here is a recent french review: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-home-cinema/yamaha-yas-201-p15694/test.html
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 201 Front Surround System With Wireless Subwoofer , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar Iht 6000 Instant Home Theater Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page