Soundbar recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently have a set of Klipsch reference speakers RF82 II ,64 II , 62II snd an SVS sub with a denon 2809ci AVR
Unfortunatley I didn't plan correctly and the speakers - although great, block part of the screen.
I'm toying with the idea of replaicng them and considerint the options.
I read an article on Goldenear soundbar andhow it's almost a regular speaker replacement.

My room is about 10 x22
Is there any soundbars whcih would give me the same experience.

Also - in terms of wiring - I have my HT setup with a separate equip room, and theo speaker wires coming out of the wwalls in the theater room in the regular spots. Would using a soundbar require rewiring (=problem?)
thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you are looking for an LCR soundbar there are many good choices and uses standard speaker wiring. It is like having all three speakers in one unit and depending on where your wiring is run it might be the easiest solution for you. You would still use your receiver, surround speakers and subwoofer.

If you are looking for a surround bar that gives a surround sound effect and will replace your current system then different wiring will be required. It depends on which soundbar you are considering on how it would be connected.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

If you are looking for an LCR soundbar there are many good choices and uses standard speaker wiring. It is like having all three speakers in one unit and depending on where your wiring is run it might be the easiest solution for you. You would still use your receiver, surround speakers and subwoofer.

If you are looking for a surround bar that gives a surround sound effect and will replace your current system then different wiring will be required. It depends on which soundbar you are considering on how it would be connected.
What is an LCR soundbar?
I'm looking for something to give the full surround sound effect for movies.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post

I currently have a set of Klipsch reference speakers RF82 II ,64 II , 62II snd an SVS sub with a denon 2809ci AVR
Unfortunatley I didn't plan correctly and the speakers - although great, block part of the screen.
I'm toying with the idea of replaicng them and considerint the options.
I read an article on Goldenear soundbar andhow it's almost a regular speaker replacement.

My room is about 10 x22
Is there any soundbars whcih would give me the same experience.
thx

Although I'm not a expert on the subject of soundbars, I think the simple answer to your question is NO. A soundbar will not give you the same experience as a 5.1 or 7.1 system.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
kat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LCR = Left, Center, Right.
The LCR soundbar directly replaces these speakers in a surround setup. You'd still need rears and sub, for instance.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, I'm looking for LCR
post #7 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 AM

There are many good brands but if you are going to use with your current surrounds I'd use the Klipsch soundbar to better match with what you already have.
http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g-42-soundbar
post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are many good brands but if you are going to use with your current surrounds I'd use the Klipsch soundbar to better match with what you already have.
http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g-42-soundbar
thanks - how much will the drop off in performance beg between this and my current loudspeakers - (b/c I paid a lot more than this for my loudspeakers)
I want to make sure there's not a significant drop off. If necessary - I could replace my surrounds too.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM

There is no doubt there will be a performance difference between towers and a sound bar. LCR Sound bars are like regular speakers, just three small speakers placed close together. Most sound bars don't have anything bigger than 4" woofers. You are not going to get the same type of impact with smaller speakers. Also, with sound bars having the left and right only a few feet apart is not going to be as good with speakers you can place in better locations and a little further apart for a good soundstage. Soundbars fit a need where placement is difficult and/ or aesthetics play a big role. They give better sound than a TV and can be very enjoyable but don't expect them to compete with a larger well set up system.

If towers or decent bookshelves on stands are not possible you might consider larger in-wall or on-wall front speakers if that will work for your situation. It won't look as nice as a sound bar but will perform better.

Having said that I haven't heard the Klipsch or Golden Ear sound bars. I like Triad which can be custom sized to match your TV's width and if you have a larger TV it gets the speakers a little further apart, Atlantic Technology and Episode also make good sounding speaker bars. Other good brands are Leon, James Loudspeaker and Paradigm. Leon also does custom sizing. There are many good brands and I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Denon Avr 2809ci 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page