bose solo v yamaha yas101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just looking for some help in choosing between the bose solo or the yamaha yas101. novice here!
Its just going to be used to enhance the sound for general tv viewing and films etc. dont expect it to be 5.1 sound quality.
i saw the bose and thought it sounded very good for my needs but looking online the yamaha does a great job and nearly half the price. the bose was more than i wanted to spend, so if its not worth it dont want to waste my money! any help would be great.
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Liked: 16
i bought a YAS 101 for my girlfriend,as she was complaining about the lack of sound quality from her Panasonic 42 lcd.i was so impressed with the Yamaha soundbar i bought one for myself.great soundbar for the money.i highly recommend the YAS101.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

ive only heard good things about the yamaha. and am leaning that way. but was impressed by the bose but think i might be paying extra for the name!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
If you are thinking about a pedestal sound bar around the same size as the Bose -have a look at the Zvox ZBase 220. I have a Zvox 555 in my living room (along with a 5.1 system we hardly ever use..) and a Zvox 220 in my den.
I tried a Bose Solo in the den because my 555 had issues with cabinet vibration until I rigged up a foam pad for under the unit and another one under the TV. I’m pretty sure the vibration was coming from the TV or the stand. This took care of the problem but was enough of an aggravation for me to try the Bose when it came time to buy something for the den.
The issue I had with the Bose is that the base is not adjustable at all and it drowns out the dialog. It needed too much volume to get good dialog and the resulting base was just not good. I returned it after a day of use – It just did not work for the space it was in.
The Zvox 220 has none of the vibration issues I experienced with the 555 and it is far more adjustable then the Bose (Bose has volume only control) – The Zvox has adjustable base, (and plenty of it) treble, and surround affect– The Bose has none of that. The Zvox 220 also sounds better then the Solo in the 10x10 space I have it in.
The Zvox has 2 digital inputs and 3 analog inputs. If you use the digital be sure to set your devices to send PCM as the 220 has no DD decoder – I use the analog input because it is stronger and sounds better.
Worth a look – Good luck.
JJK
cdhoffman likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that, but can't seem to find anywhere selling that in the UK! only ebay, shipped from the states
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I got the yas-101 before Christmas to enhance tv speakers and after a little tweeking,it sounded pretty good. Found a Yamaha yst-sw216 sub at Amazon for 125.00 ,now I love this setup. Highly reccomend.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks
think im leaning towards the yamaha, because of its price
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black , Zvox 555 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs
Gear in this thread - 101bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page