Panorama 2 and subwoofer. Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I just bought a Panorama 2 and a B&W ASW 608 subwoofer.
Problem is, I've problems adjusting it right.
The sound of the two don't "integrate".
I'm not the most technical, but I've setup some subwoofer's, but this time I'm struggling.

Anybody here with the same set-up or a similar subwoofer who could advice me on the best setup for this combo?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 12
I assume you are playing around with the crossover... or maybe placement these both will play a part... I would start with the crossover as low as it will go then move it up to fill in the gaps but not far enough that it is localize-able.

post #3 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
I've got the Panorama 1 model and two ASW608s. The Pano automatically detects when a subwoofer is connected to the subwoofer jack of the Pano. Do you have the owner's manuals for both the Pano and the ASW? There are pretty decent directions for the setup in them. If for some reason you don't have the manuals, go to the B&W website's support page and navigate to the Pano section (http://bowersandwilkinsus.custhelp.com/app/home/p/42,58) where it addresses the connections and setup.

Panorama 2 provides a subwoofer output. The subwoofer level and distance can be adjusted in the On Screen Display (OSD). The menu options for the subwoofer will only be available when a subwoofer is connected. Also ... Panorama 2's subwoofer output is filtered to the correct cross over frequency. The cross over frequency on the subwoofer should be set as high as possible.
All other settings for the subwoofer can be controlled via the on screen display (OSD).

The ASW608's manual (http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Downloads/Product/Manual/ENG_FP26573_ASW-610_manual.pdf) should provide you with the connections you need (I used the Left Line Input for the connection to my Pano's subwoofer jack). Then use the basis setup instructions in the manual for the initial setup (including SW volume, phasing, etc.). I have mine set to Auto, to power up automatically when an appropriate signal level is received from the connected Panorama. I have noticed for some TV programs that aren't on at a high volume and which may not have a lot of bass (e.g., a news program), that the SWs don't even exit the sleep mode.

One other suggestion -- there are high quality Subwoofer cables available for the connection between the Panorama and the ASW608. I bought two 14' Audioquest Sub-X (http://www.audioquest.com/subwoofer-cables/sub-x) cables for our setup. I've been told these can make a difference in performance, so went with them instead of something cheaper -- at about $90 each, I hope so!).

Be sure to go through the setup steps for both units and see if you missed any steps, and then try some of the tweaking (e.g., phasing, EQ, etc) mentioned in the ASW608 manual to fine tune your setup. Also try a variety of inputs (music, movies, etc) that have some bass -- not all sources will be the same. Final thoughts: are you connected with the output of the Pano2 to an HDMI ARC connection on your TV, or are you using the TV's TOSLINK optical output as the audio signal into the Pano? Our Pano1 unit only doesn't have HDMI (and my TV doesn't have an HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel), so I use the optical connection.

Good luck!
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page