Sharp HT-SB60 Sound Bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Saw and heard the Sharp SB60 Sound Bar at CES 2013 … and just had to have one.
Like most products at CES you have to wait till Spring before they ship.
Finally found mine at Beach Audio, $367 free shipping.
Sharp claims the SB60 is made for 60" and larger screens, and indeed it's a perfect match for my 70".
Sounds bigger than than the TV screen itself.

What more is there to say … OK ... I will elaborate just a little.

First off this thing shows up in a big ass box, no worries whats inside is very manageable.
The Sound Bar measures 54" long by 2.75" tall ... wireless Sub 17" tall X 5" wide.
Cosmetics match up perfectly with my Sharp LC-70LE6400U, or any current Sharp HDTV for that matter. Brushed metal look with a LED display in the middle. There is no grill cloth cover for the Sound Bar's exposed drivers, personally I like that, a real 1" soft dome tweeter and two 2" midrange drivers per channel. This is a 2.1 channel speaker system, 50 watts RMS per Channel, 110 watts RMS for the sub. That's Beefy for a SB my friends, trust me it gets plenty loud.

As always I tossed the instruction booklet aside and proceeded to hook this bad boy up. Plugged the Sub and SB into the wall, hooked the supplied HDMI cable to "input 1" on the HDTV & HDMI "out" on the SB. Pressed the ARC (Audio Return Channel) button on the upper left of the supplied remote and music erupted from the system. Yes, that's what I'm talking about, a Sound Bar that don't take and engineering degree to turn on.

The owners manual goes on and on but that's all it takes to work, well you do have to have "AQUOS Link" ARC turned on in the System Options Menu on your TV. Other brands call this feature other names. http://hdmicec.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-find-out-if-your-device-is-hdmi.html I'm sure the SB60 will be equally at home with other brand HDTV's. Worst case scenario you can use the fiber optic or mini jack.

I have a Pioneer BluRay player, DirecTv Tivo, and Apple TV hooked to HDMI input 2,3,4 on my Sharp 70". Audio feeds naturally from all 3 source devices though the Audio Return Channel on HDMI input 1 to the Sound Bar. I can control volume with either the DTV Tivo or Sharp TV remote so I packed the SB remote away after I made some minor adjustments. The sub automatically sets itself up wirelessly with zero drama, a little blue light appears on the front when it's connected. From the seated position all the bass appears to come from the Sound Bar. I found the best soundstage with the Sound Bar mounted above the HDTV, brackets included. Voices appears to come directly from the characters on the TV. Very Impressive. You adjust the sub volume on the remote, then tweak a little bass and treble (I used +2, +2) and your done. Sit back and enjoy.

HOWS THE SOUND QUALITY YOU ASK?

In one word, EXCELLENT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

A couple of pictures of my A/V setup, my new Sharp HDTV now lives where my old 60" Sony XBR800 used to sit. Had to go with a 70" just to fill the vacated space of the old Sony LCD rear projection. That left a 4" gap at the top of my custom wall unit. As you can see I filled that space with the new large format Sharp HT-SB60 Sound Bar. The picture and sound I get from this dynamic duo is down right shocking. I paid $4K for the Sony XBR back in 2002, and $1350 last week for the display model Sharp 70LE6400 at Costco.

Price/value to performance in today's world is simply off the charts.

I am amazed how sharp (no pun intended) the picture looks with the new Super HD downloads from Netflix, the look and feel is so different looking … it's almost freaky. I live in Phoenix and Cox Cable just started working with Netflix to provide the service, nearly half the programs I watch are available for download in 1080p 24fps SuperHD. I must have been living under a rock because I never even heard of Netflix Super HD until last week. This put the $8 monthly Netflix subscription value also off the charts.

Even though I went to CES 2013 and saw for myself the new 4K & OLED monitors, I never imagined that this sort of quality HD programming would be available for years to come. What a pleasant surprise for this perfect storm to materialize at my house this week. For those of you who haven't seen anything but 1080i being manipulated by HDTV software … you're in for a treat!

I "downloaded" The Hobbit from DirectTV HD Cinema just to verify that it's 1080p 24fps that's responsible for making this "freaky deaky dutch" picture. Cost me $5.99 for just one movie, but yes, it provided the same mind-blowing resolution. My evil eye now turned to my Pioneer BDP-430 BluRay … what's up with this turd. My bad, forgot to change the output of the Bluray to 1080P.

This 1080p 24fms thing is like doing drugs, I guess you could call this format 2K video. Ggoing back to regular 1080i programming is almost disappointing. This has me thinking I need to feed my new HDTV with a steady diet of 1080p 24 with one of those new DVDO Edge Green scalers.
http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-High-Definition-Processor-Connectivity-Solution/dp/B001OOZU8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364185352&sr=1-1&keywords=dvdo+edge

I can't eye … 1080i ...

Getting back to the sound of the Sharp SB60 sound bar, it's just stupid how good this thing sounds for the money.

As you can see in the picture above I have a full blown 9.1 surround system at my disposal. I even run front height speakers (an old pair of Bose 901 perform that duty) to lift the voice up from the center floor speaker when I pull down my 126" projector screen. While my surround system will run circles around the SB-60, I find myself watching my new 70" Sharp 90% of the time. I actually find no pressing need to turn on the main surround system, thats how good the SB-60 is. If fact I now find the main surround system a bit subtractive in nature when watching anything but movies.

Enough said.
caddyman likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

I have to offer full disclosure on my on-going problem with my Sharp SB60 sound bar.

After 30 days of perfect operation my first SB60 Sound Bar failed to turn on.
Called Sharp and tried to unplug and perform a hard reset of both the TV and sound bar. No help, the SB60 was dead.
Sharp's suggestion was to mail it to their national repair center, at my cost, and if they determine its defective, repair or replace it.
Really! I no longer had the original packaging and this would be a total pain in the butt.

Contacted Beach Audio where I purchased the SB60, and while I was out of their 30 day return policy, they were kind enough to send me a free UPS return label via email. To speed things up I simply purchased a new SB60 from Beach and I shipped the original sound bar back in that box.

Ok so how did the new replacement SB60 sound bar fare …. not good!
My Sharp LE6400U TV continuously lost contact with the SB60 sound bar though the HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel)
The only way to get it to work again was to do a factory reset of the TV.
Within 2 weeks I was lucky to get 1 hour of sound before it kicked back to the internal speakers.

Thinking perhaps it was a problem with my LE6400U TV, I returned the TV back to Costco after 86 days and purchased the 2013 model LC-70LE657U. The good news is the LE657U is superior in every way. 10 times the Apps … with 10 times the speed, Web browser controllable with my bluetooth keyboard, iPhone app to replace the remote control, the list goes on and on. Love the HD Skype and Netflix SuperHD. Picture is clearly better than last years model, 3D is a bonus. (Comes with 2 pairs of bluetooth 3D glasses) Less edge bleed, deeper blacks, sharper picture. You be hard pressed to find a better price to value in a 2013 HDTV.

The bad news is the replacement SB60 sound bar still looses connection with the new TV on the ARC.

Called Sharp and once again got the runaround, did get one rep to admit they where having a firmware issue with the first run of SB60 sound bars. (I would have to return it to them to get the firmware updated.) Really, the thing doesn't even work with your own TV's! So yes this turkey is also going back to Beach Audio, such a shame as the SB60 looked nice and sounded awesome.

Will I wait a few months to make sure I get an SB60 with updated firmware ... I don't know.

What I do know is I hooked the TV HDMI ARC to my Pioneer receiver and LE657U has no connection problems with it. The TV remote turns on the big Pioneer and even runs the volume up and down on the receiver. Even found out the Sharp TV Remote will run my Pioneer Bluray player through the ARC. My wife has already adapted to having the surround sound on all the time now that I also programmed the DirecTV Tivo to run the receiver volume.

The only downside is how much extra power we burn running the Pioneer receiver all the time. Doing the match I figure it will cost us an extra $10 month for electricity. With the refund of the $360 for the sound bar, it will take us 36 months to break even.

By then the 4K TV's will be out ………………………………...
post #4 of 19 Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have one of these soundbars also. Beautiful sound......when it worked.Which it did for about 6 months then whilst watching wrestling it died.I did the unplug for 10 minutes, did a hard reset......nothing got it working. I called Sharp and was told by the rep if I faxed them a copy of the receipt then they would email me an RMA label!!! Obviously i didn't keep the receipt that long but I did still have the original packaging (for some reason my gf likes keeping boxes) I went on a mission to find the receipt to no avail. Was about to give up when lo and behold Sharp decided to send me the RMA label anyway. So I boxed it up in the original box and it should arrive today at the repair center. Whether they fix it or give me a new one I'm not sure but I'll post back with the results.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Well I got the email stating that the sound bar arrived at their repair facility yester day at about 10 am central time. About noon i got the email that it has left the facility on its way back repaired!! Whether its the same on or a different on I'm not sure but that sure was fast!!!
post #6 of 19 Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have the same HDMI ARC issues with mine. Not a big deal to me as I really don't use ARC but hoping it last longer than a few months.
caddyman likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I was told by a Sharp repair technician it's nothing more than a flash of the firmware that fixes the ARC disconnect problem, and no it can't be done at home.

My first SB-60 failed completely, one day it just stopped working. Just dead, would not turn on at all.
The replacement SB-60 was shipped new in the box and it developed the ARC disconnect issue right at 30 days.

It will be interesting if they just flash your firmware and send back your original SB-60.
Do you have S/N on the unit you sent back?

I really liked the SB-60 but it looks like they have software issues with the first batch.
Keep us updated, I may take another swing at the big sound bar if they work out the bugs.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 PM

I'll def keep y'all updated. I had to look thru my emails (hasn't been a good tech week for me) but no I don't have the serial number written down but I do have a unique way of recognizing it.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Well I got the soundbar back yesterdaay. So far so good as a matter of fact it actually sounds better than it did so it most likely had something else wrong with it. It is the same one I sent. I know by the paw prints on top of it. In the email I got from Sharp saying that it was on its way back to me there was a link supposedly leading to the details of the repair. But when I clicked it was taken to a page saying "repair not found". I sent Sharp an email asking exactly what was repaired. The reply was fairly vague......see their reply below.

post #10 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

This thing is garbage. Going back to Amazon and getting something else.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM

I take it your stopped working too??
post #12 of 19 Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It works with the remote but CEC stopped working and there is a faint hiss from the speakers at low volume.

I'd like to replace it with something else but I'm not sure what. The Yamaha seem to suffer from lip sync issues, won't touch Sonos as they don't have HDMI.

What I really want is something that decodes all HD formats, has 2-3 HDMI inputs, Bluetooth, and CEC integration.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM

I wired my sound bar the way you posted. I have the hdmi arc on my tv and wired that into the hdmi On the sound bar. When it works I love the sound. The only thing is, it will only power on if I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in. If I shut the tv off the soundbar goes off and will not turn on unless I unplug and rep lug back in,. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks
post #14 of 19 Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Mine is wired as per instructions to my sharp 80 inch television and works perfectly
post #15 of 19 Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

I was seriously considering this bar until I came across this thread.

I'm amazed with all the glowing reviews online that this thread is all there is here.

Does anyone still recommend to stay away?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM

Mine is still working fine, its on a 80-857 TV.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Can you tell me what manufacturer your mini display to HDMI adapter is.

I have had some issues with mine.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 AM

How is every ones working after the fix? I'm debating on getting one of these things.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 PM

I just got the bar when I plugged it in a hissing computer sound can be heard coming from it? Very annoying is this normal?
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sharp Ht Sb60 High Powered Soundbar System For 60 Inch Larger Tvs With Wireless Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page