Connecting soundbars to an older LCD.. require help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I require some help. I naively thought that all I needed to do was connect my new sound bar to my TV with a HDMI cable and it would sort itself out. Not the case.
Specifics: 42wlt66 Toshiba LCD TV connected to hw-e450 Samsung sound bar with a normal HDMI.
Neither system recognises the other. I've gone into settings but the TV has no obvious options that I can change. I use the bottom port on the bar to connect and change connection to HDMI.

Am I being really dense and missing something obvious? Any help would be much appreciated. Depressing watching TV and sound bar just sitting there. #firstworldproblems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You need to be more specific about what source devices you have and where/how they are connected. If you have source devices connected to the TV, then you need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar. If your TV doesn't have optical or coax out, you can use an analog connection if the TV has that. In other words, you need to get audio from the TV to the soundbar.

The HDMI connection from the soundbar to the TV will send video to the TV from whatever source you connect to the soundbar's HDMI-in port.

You use the remote to select the appropriate input. D.IN for a digital connection, AUX for analog, HDMI for whatever source is connected to the soundbar.
tescovalejam likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying possumgirl. I have no other source devices, just use the TV which has built in free view tuner. The tv doesn't have optical or coax out only HDMI, scart and rca connections.(sound bar has HDMI in and out, aux and optical).
Now how would I go about connecting the two?!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Did the soundbar come with an analog "Y" cable? Red/white RCA connectors on one end and a 3.5mm connector on the other? If so, just hook the red/white to the analog out on your TV and the other end to the AUX in connection on the soundbar.
tescovalejam likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

No it didn't but thanks for that suggestion, just bought that cable off eBay. I'm guessing the quality won't be 100% but hopefully won't be discernible. I'm learning overall though that my TV is relatively ancient with the lack of arc. Thanks a lot for your help possum. Will be in touch again if this somehow fails.
[Edit]
If I bought some sort of set top box/ps3 could I circumvent the lack of arc on my TV by connecting my sound bar to the device?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Guess that soundbar is packaged differently in the U.K. as the ones sold here include the cable. You should be fine when you get the cable.

As to your other question, that wouldn't do anything for the audio from freeview (antenna). However, a PS3 could be connected via HDMI directly to soundbar and then another HDMI from bar to TV to send video through. You would at least have 5.1 audio from DVD/Bluray and anything else you would use the PS3 for.
tescovalejam likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh! So my cable came and I hooked it all up, switched the soundbar setting to aux and the sound still comes from the TV and not sound bar ! The TV has no obvious sound settings that I can change frown.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
It was a PITA to find but this is from your manual:
Quote:
In addition there is a fixed/variable external audio ouput which enables the connection of a suitable Hi-Fi unit. Make sure the Speaker option in the Sound menu is set to Off. The variable option is altered by using the sound controls.

I couldn't find a decent image of the back of the TV but make sure that your adapter is connected to an audio OUTPUT on the back of the TV.
tescovalejam likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Fixed. Props to you doctego. Thanks so much!! TV sounds so much better. Also obviously thanks again possum for the cable idea. My fossil TV lives on
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com