Samsung HW-F550 Soundbar - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #61 of 73 Old 03-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those who are struggling to get the HW-F550 soundbar working with a Samsung TV I finally got mine working with my Samsung PN60F8500 plasma TV. The soundbar instructions, Samsung support pages online, online chat and phone support were not very helpful.

1) I left the cable box hooked up to HDMI 1 port on the TV.
2) I connected the HDMI ARC port from the TV (HDMI 3 on the PN60F8500) to the HDMI OUT port on the HW-F550 soundbar. (Logically you'd think the HDMI ARC port on the TV should be connected to the HDMI IN on the soundbar but that's not the case.)
3) Then from TV menu I went to Sound -> Speaker Settings -> Speaker Select -> Receiver.
4) I also confirmed that Anynet+ was enabled on the TV by going from the TV menu to System -> Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) -> On.

Because my cable box is still connected directly to the TV I'm also still able to use the TV IR extender with my Time Warner Cable box so I can control the cable box with the TV remote.
telephonemike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-H550-2-1-Channel-Wireless-Soundbar/dp/B00ICDADXQ/

Couldnt find a deals subforum so im posting it here, the 2014 model is 26% off at $378 this week on Amazon.
post #63 of 73 Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post

For those who are struggling to get the HW-F550 soundbar working with a Samsung TV I finally got mine working with my Samsung PN60F8500 plasma TV. The soundbar instructions, Samsung support pages online, online chat and phone support were not very helpful.

1) I left the cable box hooked up to HDMI 1 port on the TV.
2) I connected the HDMI ARC port from the TV (HDMI 3 on the PN60F8500) to the HDMI OUT port on the HW-F550 soundbar. (Logically you'd think the HDMI ARC port on the TV should be connected to the HDMI IN on the soundbar but that's not the case.)
3) Then from TV menu I went to Sound -> Speaker Settings -> Speaker Select -> Receiver.
4) I also confirmed that Anynet+ was enabled on the TV by going from the TV menu to System -> Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) -> On.

Because my cable box is still connected directly to the TV I'm also still able to use the TV IR extender with my Time Warner Cable box so I can control the cable box with the TV remote.

You are my new favourite person!!

I spoke to Samsung support about this and they were no help and then found your suggestions. The issue I was having is the sound bar would power off then default back to the optical input not the HDMI or if I used the optical then the 7000 series TV would then require a selection from that remote not the universal one that is configured for the UVerse or TELUS Optik as we have here in Western Canada.

Thanks again for the help.

post #64 of 73 Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Would it be ok to have the sub behind the audience?instead next to the bar?
post #65 of 73 Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I just picked up a refurbed F550 and set it up today. I am not really impressed with the sound at all. I have it hooked via HDMI ARC to my Brand new Samsung 65H7150. Its a step up above the TV speakers however its very very heavy in the midrange. Sounds like the voices and music are playing into a coffee can. I am kind of upset that this thing has no Bass or Treble adjustments. That would help it a ton. I may be sending this thing back. Not very impressed at all.....
post #66 of 73 Unread 07-14-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am looking at getting this for my Panny TV in my motorhome. Being it is a motorhome I have limited space and this is the only one I have found that will work. I have some questions/concerns after reading the manual.

1) How critical is the note about the sound being 2"+ below the TV. I may be able to get an 1/2".

2) There is another note about the subwoofer being 12" from the wall. This will be hard to do.

3) I am totally confused about how the HDMI ARC connection works which my TV does have. Being this is in a motorhome my components are in an entertainment center and connected to the TV via a single HDMI cable. The source selection is going through a HDMI switch. How does the HDMI cable connect to the soundbar?

4) My TV has an Optical Out so I am assuming this would connect to the Optical IN on the soundbar. Wouldn't this be the best/easiest way to connect to the soundbar?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #67 of 73 Unread 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
I am looking at getting this for my Panny TV in my motorhome. Being it is a motorhome I have limited space and this is the only one I have found that will work. I have some questions/concerns after reading the manual.

1) How critical is the note about the sound being 2"+ below the TV. I may be able to get an 1/2".

2) There is another note about the subwoofer being 12" from the wall. This will be hard to do.

3) I am totally confused about how the HDMI ARC connection works which my TV does have. Being this is in a motorhome my components are in an entertainment center and connected to the TV via a single HDMI cable. The source selection is going through a HDMI switch. How does the HDMI cable connect to the soundbar?

4) My TV has an Optical Out so I am assuming this would connect to the Optical IN on the soundbar. Wouldn't this be the best/easiest way to connect to the soundbar?
I have my soundbar right against the bottom of the TV will no negative effects and the sub is tucked in the corner. Optimal sound would be 12" away but it will be just fine for what you need.

The HDMI ARC port on your TV gets plugged into the HDMI OUT on the soundbar. You do not need to use an optical at all. The HDMI does all the work.

For example. I run a PS4, XBOX 1, and a Cable box. All 3 HDMI cables from those go to my TV. Then my soundbar connects to the HDMI ARC on my TV which is "HDMI 2" Sound and video switches like normal when you switch sources on the TV.
post #68 of 73 Unread 07-15-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response back. I just noticed that the model I am looking at has a "H" instead of a "F". I assume this is the newer version and everything should be the same if not better.

I also have been debating between the 450 or 550 models being my space is very small.

Is the sub truly wireless? I read a review on Best Buy's website that said it was wired.
post #69 of 73 Unread 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Thanks for the response back. I just noticed that the model I am looking at has a "H" instead of a "F". I assume this is the newer version and everything should be the same if not better.

I also have been debating between the 450 or 550 models being my space is very small.

Is the sub truly wireless? I read a review on Best Buy's website that said it was wired.
Thw h550 is wired to plug into power to a wall. You can put it anywhere in the room.
post #70 of 73 Unread 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I have my soundbar right against the bottom of the TV will no negative effects and the sub is tucked in the corner. Optimal sound would be 12" away but it will be just fine for what you need.

The HDMI ARC port on your TV gets plugged into the HDMI OUT on the soundbar. You do not need to use an optical at all. The HDMI does all the work.

For example. I run a PS4, XBOX 1, and a Cable box. All 3 HDMI cables from those go to my TV. Then my soundbar connects to the HDMI ARC on my TV which is "HDMI 2" Sound and video switches like normal when you switch sources on the TV.
I have the soundbar connected using the HDMI ARC on my Panny TV. I cannot get any sound. The soundbar manual says to turn on "Anynet", but this is only for a Samsung TV. Surely this soundbar will work with other TV's.

HELP!!!!

post #71 of 73 Unread 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
I have the soundbar connected using the HDMI ARC on my Panny TV. I cannot get any sound. The soundbar manual says to turn on "Anynet", but this is only for a Samsung TV. Surely this soundbar will work with other TV's.

HELP!!!!
And you have the hdmi arc in. Connected to the hdmi out on the soundbar?
post #72 of 73 Unread 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You may need to enable ARC on the TV.
post #73 of 73 Unread 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I ended up just using the optical connection. I don't see any advantage between the two. By using the optical connection I get the OTA feeds through the soundbar also.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Hw E550 2 1 Channel 310 Watt Sound Bar
Gear in this thread