Samsung HW-F550 Soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTCX118/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MR847YTG3S20617T7TE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone have experience with this soundbar? I searched the site and couldn't find any info. I think this is a step down from their new one with the vacuum tubes. (assumption)

My intent is to connect this to my Samsung LN46A650. Not sure what the best wiring setup would be, though. Suggestions on the best way to connect my dish HD DVR, my PS3 and my xbox 360? i'm open to buying whatever cables would be best. same for any external switch i may or may not need.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 73 Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
My browser crashed while researching your TV model but take a look at the HW-E550. The HW-F550 seems to just be a newer version of that. The information and specs should be the same.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #4 of 73 Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM

I bought this soundbar the week it came out. It looks and sounds great but there are a couple things that I haven't figured out.

With the wireless sub connected, things were WAY too bass-y and sounded distorted. Case in point, I was watching an episode of South Park, and I couldn't hear some of the voices in the theme song (sorry for the random example, but this was the most glaring). I unplugged the sub from the wall (there's no power button) and the soundbar sounded great again. I can't tell if I got a dud, or an eventual update from Samsung will fix it, but for now I'm operating without the sub.

Also, I couldn't get the soundbar to power on with my TV (Samsung 55D7000). With Anynet configured, it would power off when I shut the TV off, but I still needed to power the soundbar on via it's own remote. For the time being I turned Anynet off and haven't had the opportunity to play with some more.

A minor thing that bugs me, is that it takes about 10 seconds to output audio after turning on. My set up is Fios DVR -> TV (HDMI3) -> F550 (HDMI2 - ARC). I don't have any Toslink cables laying around, so I don't know if this due to HDMI handshake or what. Like I said, it's a minor quibble, but you'll be sitting there for a couple seconds waiting to hear something.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some real audiophiles who know what they're talking about, as opposed to a layperson like me.
post #5 of 73 Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug8307 View Post

Also, I couldn't get the soundbar to power on with my TV (Samsung 55D7000). With Anynet configured, it would power off when I shut the TV off, but I still needed to power the soundbar on via it's own remote. For the time being I turned Anynet off and haven't had the opportunity to play with some more.
Samsung TVs do not support the "auto-on" feature, only "auto-off". This complaint has shown up many times on the various threads here, so you're not alone.
Quote:

A minor thing that bugs me, is that it takes about 10 seconds to output audio after turning on. My set up is Fios DVR -> TV (HDMI3) -> F550 (HDMI2 - ARC). I don't have any Toslink cables laying around, so I don't know if this due to HDMI handshake or what. Like I said, it's a minor quibble, but you'll be sitting there for a couple seconds waiting to hear something.

It's not unusual for an external audio device, even AVRs, to have a short delay before outputting audio.

On another note, do you have any source device connected to the soundbar? If not, you could connect the Fios DVR directly to the soundbar so that the bar receives a 5.1 signal instead of 2-ch. stereo. Probably wouldn't have any effect on your sub issue, but the overall audio quality may sound better.
post #6 of 73 Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Samsung TVs do not support the "auto-on" feature, only "auto-off". This complaint has shown up many times on the various threads here, so you're not alone.
Got it. I think the new F series has some kind of auto-on, but I'm not in the market to upgrade the TV yet.
Quote:
On another note, do you have any source device connected to the soundbar? If not, you could connect the Fios DVR directly to the soundbar so that the bar receives a 5.1 signal instead of 2-ch. stereo. Probably wouldn't have any effect on your sub issue, but the overall audio quality may sound better.
I also have a DVD player connected to HDMI4, so that's why I'm using ARC.

Theoretically If I went DVR -> soundbar -> TV, would I be able to use the Smart features on the TV though the soundbar? I use the Plex app a lot.
post #7 of 73 Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug8307 View Post

Theoretically If I went DVR -> soundbar -> TV, would I be able to use the Smart features on the TV though the soundbar? I use the Plex app a lot.

If it's working now I don't see how anything would change. You'd still be using the exact same ARC connection.
post #8 of 73 Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

my tv doesnt have arc. can i still use this soundbar?
post #9 of 73 Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihme View Post

my tv doesnt have arc. can i still use this soundbar?

Of course you can as long as your TV has some sort of audio out.
post #10 of 73 Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

i ended up buying this model and using the soudbar itself as the switch. it works great and sounds great. the sub was seemless and automatically set itself up. great buy for $400.
post #11 of 73 Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihme View Post

using the soudbar itself as the switch.
What do you have connected to the soundbar? There's only 1 HDMI, 1 Optical, and 1 Analog input each... are you using a different input type for each device?
post #12 of 73 Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

im using HDMI-only for the dish dvr and i'm using the hdmi/optical combo for the ps3. i'm not using the analog audio-in right now.
post #13 of 73 Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 13
I bought this model soundbar as well on 4/21 after the salesman persuaded me to buy it instead of the also new, identically priced Panasonic SC-HTB770.

I liked that it didn't have a "receiver" like the Panasonic, but I am just now realizing the switching limitations, i.e. HDMI vs. optical. I have a HD cable box/DVR and PS3 that are currently plugged into the monitor. I had planned just to run the optical audio from the TV into the soundbar and switch the video source (suggested by the salesman). At best I could run one of those sources through the single HDMI input/output path, but then I'll have to switch b/t the audio source on the soundbar AND the video source on the monitor! THat's just with 2 components; it will grow to 3 or more in the near future.

My 2 questions are:

1) Will I sacrificing audio quality, from BD sources for example, by using the TV's optical audio output instead of HDMI.

2) The Panasonic has 3 HDMI input in its hub and 3.1 by way of it's modular sound, but the Samsung seems like the "beefier" unit (see this comparison)

I have about 10 days left to return it. Please give me your counsel A/V wizards!
post #14 of 73 Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Day 1: Haven't put it thru the music paces yet, but this thing is really great for TV- huge sound. Absolutely love the way the sub is tuned out of the box. Got it for $329 all-in from an outfit called PCNation.

Day 2: Music. My goodness, I'm so fond of this. The Bluetooth of an MP3 from my phone sounds just like a local connection- no hiccups at all. I'm so impressed with the crossover to the sub- the sub plays a lot but is *just* not localized- I have it in the front left corner and while I can tell it's in front "somewhere" it sounds like it could just as easily be on the right. I love the fact it fires rearward.
post #15 of 73 Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Hi Folks

Anyone know if the subwoofer actually makes any noise because mine is silent. Nothing no BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM!! Does not matter how many times I push that little reset button on back the subwoofer or hit mute while doing that ... everything suggested on google fails. I got it to work via bluetooth with Samsung pn64f8500 no problem but no sound from woofer.cool.gifmad.gif Cheers!
post #16 of 73 Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 AM

It makes a lot of sound, for me right out of the box, Something is wrong with yours.
Curious- why did you use Bluetooth from the TV?
post #17 of 73 Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 12
I bought this last week as well. I'm running optical out from the TV to the soundbar so that if I use my cable box, computer, or external device (hard drive) I have sound. I am using the HDMI pass through for the Blu Ray player which I will test out this weekend. So far, it definitely helps with dialog while watching TV. This weekend I will put it through the ringer.
post #18 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

It makes a lot of sound, for me right out of the box, Something is wrong with yours.
Curious- why did you use Bluetooth from the TV?
Ok so the soundbar is now functional the problem was the receiver on the bass box.

I got it sorted. I had a lemon for the base, now the blue tooth can find the replacement and the tv which is a Samsung PN64F8500 and has bluetooth on board therefore no cable is necessary for the soundbar they connect via bluetooth and connect with soundshare software. I now have to put bluetooth in the PC I built so it too can use the soundbar as my iPod and TV do because the cables needed to connect PC to soundbar then to tv is just to messy. I hate cords this is why I bought wireless and bluetooth capable. If you have a Samsung that has bluetooth go in sound settings and turn Soundshare on then go to BT on the soundbar and it will find soundshare enabled tv.

Happy camper here ... The sound is decent for the price. smile.gif
post #19 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy View Post

I bought this last week as well. I'm running optical out from the TV to the soundbar so that if I use my cable box, computer, or external device (hard drive) I have sound. I am using the HDMI pass through for the Blu Ray player which I will test out this weekend. So far, it definitely helps with dialog while watching TV. This weekend I will put it through the ringer.

I tried the toslink from the bar to my PC but the cord will not snap in on either, which I don't understand since it is brand new and came with the bar so I'm ordering one from amazon if still no luck I have to got DVI to HDMI to hook the pc to the bar as my graphics card only has one HDMI port. Considering putting bluetooth on board the PC I built but first I have to figure out how the bar would use it. I'm thinking source would be set at AUX but I'm not sure and won't waist money until I'm certain. For now hoping the new toslink does the trick.
post #20 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDancerXTC View Post

I tried the toslink from the bar to my PC but the cord will not snap in on either, which I don't understand since it is brand new and came with the bar

You did remove the little plastic protector from both ends of the toslink? A lot of people seem to overlook that so thought I'd ask.
post #21 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

You did remove the little plastic protector from both ends of the toslink? A lot of people seem to overlook that so thought I'd ask.

Yes there is no plastic on it seems like the lip that should catch is just isn't high enough. Someone had suggested it was worn down as that happens to toslink provided by cable company but this doesn't apply here it's brand new. So a new one is on it's way biggrin.gif
post #22 of 73 Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM

I have mine connect via ARC to my 60" Sammy F8500. Latest firmware on the tv and the soundbar. Everything works perfect. Also got mine via PC Nation.

I just wanted a setup that's better than the tv speakers and these do that very well.
post #23 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Sound Bar Cracking

Hi Guys...

I picked up a HW-F550 for our motor coach. (We live in it now as we choose to travel the US for awhile.)

In any case, anyone had issues with the speakers cracking? It seems to happen with more bass intensive audio. Like a race car engine or tank or something with low bass. It is like it is passing the bass to the little speakers in the sound bar vs to the sub. (Though the sub is working just fine and sounds as expected for what it is.)

I have the current firmware installed and I am hooked up via ARC. (I also tried HDMI in and HDMI out vs ARC with the same result.)

For the most part, the HW-F550 works well. Though the 3D sound thing makes for a strange audio experience if I do say so as the volume change so much with the different tracks like audience applause or something. It has no idea what to do with it. smile.gif

Thanks

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #24 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 PM

David, I haven't heard any cracking, but it does seem to pass likely "too much" lower freqs to the bar. BTW, I find the colorized "Music" preset to be superior to "None."
post #25 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi...

Thanks.

In regards to the music preset, I take it you mean the 3D music setting. If so, you use that to TV/movie also?

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #26 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM

No, the button above, "Sound Effect"- not the "3D" one.
post #27 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just checking as their is a 3D music one and I was commenting on 3D. Just wanted to be sure.

Yes, nice sound bar, but weird on the cracking and the harder thing is to replace it I need to do so via Amazon and the box was not small. wink.gif

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #28 of 73 Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

Just checking as their is a 3D music one and I was commenting on 3D. Just wanted to be sure.

Yes, nice sound bar, but weird on the cracking and the harder thing is to replace it I need to do so via Amazon and the box was not small. wink.gif

Yes, took me awhile to get the right tweak but {No 3D-Yes Music} sounds fine to my ears, even for audio CDs. I was also surprised by the size of the box- the sub is bigger than I'd imagined it would be.
post #29 of 73 Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM

I have this Soundbar connected to my Samsung TV wirelessly using Soundshare. My only problem thus far is that the Soundbar does not power on OR off with the TV. According to Samsung, it is supposed to:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000463/12237/146616/

I installed the latest firmware. If this feature is broken it is going back to the store. Anyone have the auto on/off working with Soundshare?
post #30 of 73 Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just purchased the Samsung HW-550 sound bar and I looked around and found various answers. So, for those using a Harmony remote with the Samsung, what category did you add it to? I added it to 'amplifier' and it doesn't seem to work all the time. I might post this in the Harmony remote thread as well. Thank you,
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Hw E550 2 1 Channel 310 Watt Sound Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page