I am just an egg. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to concoct a humble entertainment system. I have a 32 inch Samsung connected to my computer via the HDMI port. The computer is the only thing hooked up to the TV.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH4003FXZA

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660/pd.aspx

I bought an ILive sound bar, which has two RCA inputs and a 3.5 mm line in jack. I followed the instructions that came with the sound bar exactly and I am getting no sound. I do not know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpickle View Post

I am trying to concoct a humble entertainment system. I have a 32 inch Samsung connected to my computer via the HDMI port. The computer is the only thing hooked up to the TV.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH4003FXZA

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660/pd.aspx

I bought an ILive sound bar, which has two RCA inputs and a 3.5 mm line in jack. I followed the instructions that came with the sound bar exactly and I am getting no sound. I do not know what to do.

What exactly were those instructions? Are you connecting the computer to the soundbar or the TV? We need more details.
billpickle likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Instructions as written:

1. Connect the RCA Cable to the Stereo RCA Inputs located on the back of the unit, and to the audio outputs on the television.

2. Press the Power button to power on the unit.

3. Press the Source button and select the input used: either AUX 1 or AUX2.

4. Audio played through the television will now be heard through the speakers.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Instructions as written:

1. Connect the RCA Cable to the Stereo RCA Inputs located on the back of the unit, and to the audio outputs on the television.

2. Press the Power button to power on the unit.

3. Press the Source button and select the input used: either AUX 1 or AUX2.

4. Audio played through the television will now be heard through the speakers.

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming that you have the RCA cables connected properly (white to white & red to red), this should work but you probably also have to go into your TV's settings to disable your TV's speakers and/or enable external speakers. I tried to download your TV's manual but the link timed out. Also, make sure that you have the RCA cable connected to the OUTPUT of the TV.
billpickle likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
According to the specs and the jack panel diagram for your TV, you do not have ANY audio out. That means you have no way to use the soundbar.
billpickle likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

That would explain a lot. It never occured to me that there would be a TV with no way to connect speakers. cool.gif Hope I can find the receipt for this sound bar. Too late to return the TV.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

According to the specs and the jack panel diagram for your TV, you do not have ANY audio out. That means you have no way to use the soundbar.

If the PC is the only source connected to the TV, couldn't he use a 3.5mm cable and connect the PC directly to the soundbar? I have a similar Dell and use external computer speakers. I would think the concept would be the same.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I didn't think of that. He mentioned being connected via HDMI but if he can also connect audio direct from PC that would probably work.
billpickle likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I tried a 3.5mm cable connected to the headphone jack on my PC. I would have thought I could run sound out of there and turn down the volume on my TV but it didn't work.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried a 3.5mm cable connected to the headphone jack on my PC. I would have thought I could run sound out of there and turn down the volume on my TV but it didn't work.

If you run it from the computer to the soundbar, whatever you do with the TV's volume shouldn't matter. You will need to go into the control panel of your computer and change the audio output, though. I had to do that when I added external speakers to my PC. Also, make sure that you plugged it into the correct port on your PC. Mine has a bunch. The correct jack was green on my PC.

With my setup, I have my monitor connected to my PC via HDMI and use external speakers for sound so I would think that this should work fine.

Tags
Samsung 32 Inch Class Led Hdtv Un32eh4003