crazy room specs, pls give opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm hoping the experts on this site will give me some opinions....

Specs
House on lake so one wall almost entirely windows
ceiling opens up to second level so at least 25' high
1/2 back wall as it opens up to kitchen
other wall is only half as it opens up to front door area

Can't run wires so I was thinking that at least a sound bar will be better than the tv speakers.
I'd love to do the Bose but don't really want to spend over the 1000 mark. The majority time will be watching satellite tv with movies, very little music.
I'm sure a blu ray player would be a future purchase, but dont currently own one.

So far my choices would be between the polk iht 9000, H/K sb30, klipsch sb3.

I'd like the sound to be as good as I can get with a sound bar and due to the room shape I don't think the smaller and less pricey units would work.

I've searched the site and still can't make the choice.

Help is appreciated!!!

tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Given the irregularity of your room, you may want something that is as not dependent on room reflections. I'm almost in the same boat as you, and am waiting for the 5.1 soundbars from Vizio and Phillips that will be coming out any time now. (Vizio in a month or two, and Phillips...supposedly...by Summer)

Both companies' 5.1 models have discrete surrounds. The Vizio's satellites might be tethered to the wireless subwoofer, whereas the Phillips has both a wireless sub, and wireless surrounds which recharge when attached to the soundbar. In this latter mode, the Phillips projects a simulated surroundfield, which is dependent on room acoustics.

Nevertheless, with the Phillips you detach the speakers for serious movie watching, and they apparently will operate for up to 10 hours on a charge, giving you true 5.1.

Just a thought.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I've never heard of vizio, so I'll be off researching them. Thanks for the thoughts, that's exactly what I was hoping for...input
post #4 of 5 Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Liked: 13
You might consider the ysp-3300 or 4300, even if they exceed your budget. Both include a separate wireless subwoofer.

My 3300 is in a space which:

> Includes a family room with a wall of windows along one side, includes a 20 ft vaulted ceiling, and includes a stone fireplace in one corner.

> Opens to a kitchen with stone island and breakfast nook at the back.

> Has a partial wall on the other side, with an archway to a gallery and an archway to the dining room.

> Does not include a lake. frown.gif

Anyway, the ysp does a surprisingly good job of utilizing a variety of surfaces to reflect sound and simulate 5.1 surround. I don't get 7.1 effect, presumably because there is not much to reflect off at the back off the family room.

Happy hunting.
coras likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have heard good things about Yamaha's YSP series as well, as their audio setup is excellent, as are their drivers.

With regard to the Vizios, the two models coming out (they differ in the length of the soundbar) will likely be in the $350.00 to $550.00 (educated guess, based on what I read), and the Phillips has an estimated price of $800.00

Personally, I think it's hard to beat real, physical surround satellites, but as I said driver quality is important, and hearing is believing!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Polk Audio Surroundbar 9000 Instant Home Theater , Ysp 3300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer , Ysp 4300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page