Yamaha Sound Projector 1100, optical audio cable sounding worse than AV cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had been using the red/white cables from the RCA cables to get sound from PS3 to the sound projector. The details in the treble were crystal clear and the bass was powerful with the Sony subwoofer I use with it. But recently I discovered only stereo was possible with the way ps3 was designed to output, unlike most players or systems. So naturally I picked up a new optical cable which then allowed me to select surround sound options instead of only 2 channels for stereo. Stereo mode sounds identical, and when my sound bar goes into DTS surround mode, it sounds amazing. But when i play games or certain films that use Dolby, the sound is muddy. An exaggeration would be to say it sounds more like it's playing underwater. Not that bad, of course, butcomparable in terms of the decrease in audio quality. I've tweaked the settings till I can't stand listening to it any more. Any suggestions or advice? I'm not sure why this supposedly superior alternative sounds worse in certain modes yet perfectly fine in others like it used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, and the other mode in which it sounds exactly the same as before, besides DTS, is PCM mode.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I had the same dilemma when I help my neighbor set up his YSP. I've been doing this sh&t for so long but always seem to forget basic 101 set up. There's no reason optical or RCA digital should sound better than stereo or RCA audio. You have to go back in the dvd, Ps3 or Blu- ray player set up audio menu section and make sure you don't have it on PCM, which I'm pretty sure why. The correct set up is bitstream or pass through, and make sure you have dts enabled or other digital formats it has to offer.

When you're watching movies or playing 5.1 games, you should see that little "DD" for dolby digial or dts on the front panel of your sound bar. If it say PCM or dolby pro logic then you don't have it set upright, it's NOT digital. It's just a matter of going back in and do the proper selection. And If you have Directv or cable you have to do the same with the set up in the receiver.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 1100bl Digital Sound Projector
Gear in this thread - 1100bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page