Soundbar with Headphone jack out - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gunny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to connect a soundbar to my TV and want to use a wireless headphone with it for late night viewing. I don't want to get an AV receiver so I'm looking for a soundbar that has a headphone jack out on it. Does anyone know of one? I would like to stay under $300

thanks!
gunny10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Doctego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny10 View Post

I want to connect a soundbar to my TV and want to use a wireless headphone with it for late night viewing. I don't want to get an AV receiver so I'm looking for a soundbar that has a headphone jack out on it. Does anyone know of one? I would like to stay under $300

thanks!

Does your TV have a headphone jack? If so, you can just bypass the soundbar and use that. For my soundbar (HW-E450), I just hit 1 button on the remote to switch to TV SPEAKERS. From there, you could use wireless headphones. This should open up some options for you.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Doctego is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gunny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No my TV does not have a headphone jack. If it did I would have an easier time finding a soundbar smile.gif
gunny10 is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Doctego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny10 View Post

No my TV does not have a headphone jack. If it did I would have an easier time finding a soundbar smile.gif

OK. Do you already have the headphones or will you be buying them when you get the soundbar?

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Doctego is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gunny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
already have a nice pair of Sennheisers
gunny10 is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Doctego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny10 View Post

already have a nice pair of Sennheisers

OK. We're getting the information slowly. Does your TV have RCA audio out? The plugs will be red and white.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Doctego is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gunny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The model I have is an LG LM6200. It does have RCA (composite) jacks but they are tied to a DVD or the like and did not think they work as a stand alone audio out. My only audio out is optical.
gunny10 is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Doctego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny10 View Post

The model I have is an LG LM6200. It does have RCA (composite) jacks but they are tied to a DVD or the like and did not think they work as a stand alone audio out. My only audio out is optical.

Your DVD player would be connected to an input so that wouldn't help. Oh well. I was just trying to improve your options as I haven't see a soundbar with a headphone jack. I never had to look,. though.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Doctego is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny10 View Post

already have a nice pair of Sennheisers

How do you connect the headphones now?

I don't recall ever hearing about a soundbar with headphone out jack. Doesn't mean such an animal doesn't exist, but will probably be difficult to find unless someone comes by here that knows about one.
Possumgirl is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gunny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wireless headphones were used with my computer and not with this or any other TV. I have the LG TV in my bedroom and I'm looking for better sound with the option to use my headphones. I have searched and could not find much in my price range and I was hoping someone on this board would know of one.
gunny10 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Newbie
 
davozi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same problem with my LG 7600 what you will need is a optical digital lead from your tv into a digital to analogue audio converter
bought mine Jaycar Electronics, Digitech converter cost $59.95 and the optic lead $14.95 for 2 metres
davozi is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Member
 
nr5667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not just buy a stereo receiver and a pair of speakers? It'll cost about the same as a sound bar, and receivers have headphone jacks. I appreciate your desire for a minimalist and space saving solution (I have a sound bar myself), but I don't see the need for a complicated and costly work around when you could put that money towards better sound.

As an alternative, if your T.V has variable audio out, you could just buy some computer speakers, those usually have a headphone jack, and it'll be quite an improvement over your T.V speakers (people might blather about "near field" listening, but most computer speakers are the same size as sound bar speakers, anyway).
nr5667 is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
bigtotoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm also looking for a soundbar with a headphone output. It's not for a home theater, but rather for a PC. My desk is crowded with 2 very large monitors and the only size of speaker I could possibly use is short and flat (so sound can come under the monitor bezels). I'd like to connect the soundbar via optical out from my PC. The only problem is that I will sometimes want to use headphones, and my PC is under the desk and hard to reach. Ideally I'd just plug into the front of the soundbar, but I can't seem to find such a creature. The only thing I've seen is crappy monitor attachments which are specific to a monitor model, or soundbars with 3.5mm INPUTS. Please help!
bigtotoro is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Sam Dav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They finally made it. Soundbar with audio jack out. yamaha ysp-2500
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._g/?mode=model
Sam Dav is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
bigtotoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome find!!!
Thanks so much for sharing this!
bigtotoro is offline  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Member
 
Sam Dav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You are welcome. One question. Since these are Bluetooth enabled, is it possible to use a Bluetooth headphone instead of audio jack out?
Sam Dav is offline  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Member
 
drmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What did you figure out? I don't want another receiver sitting anywhere, for headset. I also want wireless headsets for my living room. Why does it seem when I look for something, it has not been invented? I'm not the only one that wants to watch tv and not bother anyone. This has got to be wireless, btw,
drmax is offline  
Old 01-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So - I've discovered that while the Yamaha YSP-2500 does have a headphone jack, if you plug headphones into it, the soundbar speakers are automatically muted. There is not an option to have both active.

I live in a home with one person that is somewhat hard of hearing. The rest of the people that watch TV want to be able to hear through speakers that are better than those built into TVs nowadays . (I recognize that the more common reason for headphones is to mute speakers for private viewing so as not to disturb others) Given the number of baby boomers that listened to much too lots of rock and roll way too loudly in their youth, I am betting this is a pretty common issue. Remarkably - this has proven a very challenging thing to solve. My Sony TV has a headphone jack in it, and it does allow me to simultaneously keep the TV speakers and Headphone jack active. But the moment I send the sound externally to a Soundbar, the headphone jack goes silent. (Yes - I've verified this as designed by Sony).

This seems to me the most obvious application in the world, but so far, I've been unable to solve it - and just struck out again with this Yamaha soundbar.

I suppose some kind of HDMI splitter might work, but there has to be some way other than a mad scientist experiment (meaning off the shelf product) that will do this. Am I missing something - any ideas?
DacSac likes this.
headphone help is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphone help View Post
So - I've discovered that while the Yamaha YSP-2500 does have a headphone jack, if you plug headphones into it, the soundbar speakers are automatically muted. There is not an option to have both active.

I live in a home with one person that is somewhat hard of hearing. The rest of the people that watch TV want to be able to hear through speakers that are better than those built into TVs nowadays . (I recognize that the more common reason for headphones is to mute speakers for private viewing so as not to disturb others) Given the number of baby boomers that listened to much too lots of rock and roll way too loudly in their youth, I am betting this is a pretty common issue. Remarkably - this has proven a very challenging thing to solve. My Sony TV has a headphone jack in it, and it does allow me to simultaneously keep the TV speakers and Headphone jack active. But the moment I send the sound externally to a Soundbar, the headphone jack goes silent. (Yes - I've verified this as designed by Sony).


This seems to me the most obvious application in the world, but so far, I've been unable to solve it - and just struck out again with this Yamaha soundbar.

I suppose some kind of HDMI splitter might work, but there has to be some way other than a mad scientist experiment (meaning off the shelf product) that will do this. Am I missing something - any ideas?
Not sure how this would work for you but I use AGtek Analaog RCA to Digital ,optical audio TOSLINK Outputs Cable Converter Adapter. I can listen to the TV through my headset without affecting TV speaker volume.. No soundbar here.
DacSac is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Correction: AGPtek
DacSac is offline  
 

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off