who knows anything about GOLDENEAR soundbar. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i found this soundbar locally and it fits my needs exactly. i just want to know if anybody knows or has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

since i'm replying to my own thread i guess that means noone knows anything about"GOLDENEAR" sound bars.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Do a search here. They're not too common but there is some information here.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

do a search where?
post #5 of 25 Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

do a search where?

Here. This site. There is a SEARCH box in the upper right corner. You won't find a ton of information but you will find some.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I just gave my niece a set of Energy RC10's for her first home theater. I had enjoyed the little Energy's for the past few years, and I still consider them one of the best investments I've made in speakers. I replaced them with a Goldenear 3D Array soundbar. Here's a link where you can find some reviews. It's a unique product, in that it plays much bigger than it is. I confirmed this in my bedroom system and in my dedicated home theater. I wouldn't replace the much bigger speakers in my dedicated theater with it, but for the space it's killer. Paired with a good sub (since it has no bass), it plays as loud as I can stand it without strain of any kind, and dialog is crystal clear - as in strikingly distinct.
TeeDubya likes this.

Joe Clark

post #7 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just bought one to test, I hope to review in the next couple of weeks
post #8 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 10
I would like to hear your thoughts on those golden ears, I was thinking of getting there sound bar but went with definitive technology solocinema xtr, and I'm very happy with the set up...
post #9 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it set up in my HT and calibrated. I'll be testing it this week, and will give you my impressions.
Initial impression - definitely sounds good, but not sold yet on just HOW good. Also noticed a big difference in quality when I raised the volume, at lower volumes- I could just stare at the soundbar as it was obvious where the sound was coming from- there was no sound stage. Once I turned the volume up, it filled my 10x24 room very nicely.
Will be reporting back more during the week...
post #10 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I traded up from the 3D Array soundbar to a set of 3 Aon 3's. I think the GE soundbar actually images better than the Aon's, most likely because of the crosstalk cancellation technology. But for my taste the much deeper bass of the Aon's makes it a better choice. In my space, I couldn't get the soundbar to go deep enough or blend with the subwoofer (ForceField 3) as well as I wanted it to. I like the Aon 3's so much that I'm thinking of replacing the large towers in my main home theater with them. I'll be putting the Aon 3's into the dedicated room in the next couple of days so I can test whether or not they have enough punch to replace the bigger speakers. I spent some time yesterday going back and forth between the main room and the bedroom system with the Aon's. I listened to the same high res tracks in each room, and the Aon's out-performed the towers for clarity and detail. The caveat there is that my bedroom has substantially more sound treatment - several bass traps and smaller sound panels. I'm also going to be trying out the GE Triton Three's before I make a final decision about mains in the bigger room, but after about 80 hours or so of break-in the Aon 3's sound phenomenal. I've downloaded a few albums from HDTracks.com, and they've been a great way to challenge the Aon's. I haven't been disappointed.

Joe Clark

post #11 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm also demoing to see if I can replace my towers (Klipsch ref 82II, 64II, 62II).
Which towers do you have that you're replacing with the Aons?
post #12 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have Energy RC70's as mains in the dedicated home theater room. I really like them, but the Aon 3's sound better in just about every way. My only question is if the Aon's will play loud enough in that room, so I'm also considering the GE Triton Three's as mains. I plan to audition them with my own Denon receiver (my local GE dealer is VERY accommodating).

Joe Clark

post #13 of 25 Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I've spent time this week listening to it.
The Goldenear is definitely very good, but on the other hand although I definitely liked it off the bat, I wasn't blown away (...yet) - so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.
I'm deciding between
(a) keeping my full towers - Klipsch RF82-II, RF-64IIC, RF62 II surrounds + SVS 23-39CI+ sub
(b) Goldenear soundbar.

My reason for thinking of this is (a) WAF (b) currently the towers are blocking part of my screen

For my source material - I'm using the type of movies that I normally watch (action) -
(a) e.g. Batman part II (with Heath Ledgler as the Joker) - the scene where Batman is on the motorcycle revving up right at the Joker, and the Joker is saying - hit me, hit me, - I like to see how it does the increasing revving of the engine - high pitch, and the rumbling lows at the same time
(b) Phantom of the opers - end scene where the Phantom smashes the mirrors - want to see how acuractely the glass smashing sounds
(c) Star Wars Revenge of the Sith - opening scene - want to see how well the sound stage and surround effects are - if you hear the ships flying around the room
(d) Music - via Amazon cloud - e.g. Beyonce - if I were a boy - nice intro voice; TIm McGraw, etc
(e) and any any scene to see how clear the dialog is

So with that said, the review may be different based on your tastes in source materia

Envirmoment = 12x24' room- thick carpet, w/GK Acoustics soundtreatments at rear of room and first reflection point., Denon AVR 2809 CI, and I had it auto calibrate with the soundbar

I hope to have more info soon

Also to point out some things hat are very apparent:
  • I demod this in a shop in NYC with a testing room not much bigger than my HT room- and was VERY turned off - absolutely no sound stage. However, after listening in my HT - that's TOTALLY not the case - it does a great job of filling up the room
  • w/music - - There's good clarity , and I can hear nuances. Hope to give more details soon.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Dark Knight with the GoldenEar soundbar (w/the Klipsch RS-62 surrounds and SVS CS23-39 sub) – I REALLY liked it. Definitely filled the room, Even during the loud scenes, you can hear lots of detail – for example when the Joker was on the truck trying to blow up Harvey Dent – and despite all of the loud truck noise you could clearly make out the details of the Joker loading his gun, also you could hear the difference in sound/echo when they were in tunnels. I’ve had speakers where the dialog, etc gets crushed during such loud scenes- The high pitched noises were very effective. I wouldn’t call it perfection in any way, but I DEFINITELY enjoyed it. I’d give it a 8/10.
Again, I’m not comparing it to other soundbars, just comparing it to my towers. Now to test with my Klispch speakers for comparison
post #15 of 25 Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I listened to some regular TV shows with the kids - nothing special - though probably due to the source quality - so doesn't mean much.
I Demo'd LOTR Fellowship of the Ring - opening scene - love the voice over, and battle scenes. Once again, I REALLY liked it. I finished feeling - together with the WAF- I'll keep it. Of course, I know have to hear these with my towers to see if they're better. But I can definitely be happy with the GE.

Also of note - I used the soundbar with my Klipsch
surrounds, and SVS sub
I strongly recommend getting a sub with this
post #16 of 25 Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Finished my testing...
Listened to the above scenes with my Klipsch system, and they definitely offer more immersion – no question there. Also – more L/R stereo surround impact, as things moved from side to side in the Batman chase where he goes under the truck with his cycle (perhaps due to high crossover, forcing the Sub (mono) to pick that up on the GE) .

So, I have to pick the Klipsch tower set.

However, with that said, I am going to be selling my Klipsch and keeping the GE soundbar. Reason being, that I definitely enjoyed the GE very much, and while watching , didn’t feel lacking. Of course, side by side comparison, makes you feel the other is better, but never felt the GE was bad, and when not doing side by side testing, and just enjoying the GE – it’s VERY enjoyable and emmersive – also I think dialog came in better with the GE during action scenes. But given that WAF is an issue here, and I can be very happy with the GE, not to mention a continual need to change. One minor nuisance is that if mounted to the wall, I can’t see how to fit the banana plugs. No major problem, but they should have given more room between terminals to allow the plugs to go in from the sides or bottom, and not have to plug in from behind.

Hope this helps someone, also remember 2 caveats - I only know how it sounded in my room , a much bigger room may be different. And also , I am in no way an audiophile. Frankly, I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm just giving you my "average Joe" opinion of what I felt/experienced.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a quick followup to my previous posts:

I just installed Triton Two towers in my main home theater, to replace my Energy RC70's. I auditioned the Triton Three's and Triton Two's the same day, and the Triton Two's were easily my preference. I still love the Aon 3's for the smaller bedroom space, but they weren't up to the task of filling the main room with with the impact I wanted. It's been a fun few weeks, though, experimenting with the GoldenEar's. I tend not to change speakers as often as other home theater gear, and IMO the GE's are spectacular. The Triton Two's are so good in my main room that I'm considering a complete re-model to get the most from them.

I really liked the GE soundbar, too, but my bedroom was challenging in terms of where I could place the sub to get it to blend properly. It's a great piece of technology, though, and I can understand why it's reviewed so glowingly.

Joe Clark

post #18 of 25 Old 08-06-2013, 05:39 AM

Sound and Vision Magazine did one of their typically very thorough reviews of it here.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM

I just bought the goldenear soundbar and in a word... Fantastic. I will be using this in a new build family room and am testing it in my 5.1 surround system now and the sound is surpurb. The two channel sounds great with very good detail. I am using this with a 125 WPC emotiva amp and this thing can play at reference levels crossed over at 100hz. I am currently crossed over at 80 as it adds just a little more heft to the voices in the center channel.
Highly Reccomended.

Pre/PRO: Marantz AV7701
Amplifier: Sherbourn 7x350
TV: Tivo Romio Plus
PROJECTOR: Sony VPL-HW50ES
Screen: A/T Dragonfly™ 120 in. AcoustiWeave
Bluray: Oppo BDP93
LRC Speakers: Episode ES-HT950-IW-7 x3
Surround Speakers: ES-HT700-IWLCR-6 x4
Subwoofers: HSU VT-15H x2
Acoustic Panels: Acoustimac DMD
post #20 of 25 Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blong3 View Post

I just bought the goldenear soundbar and in a word... Fantastic. I will be using this in a new build family room and am testing it in my 5.1 surround system now and the sound is surpurb. The two channel sounds great with very good detail. I am using this with a 125 WPC emotiva amp and this thing can play at reference levels crossed over at 100hz. I am currently crossed over at 80 as it adds just a little more heft to the voices in the center channel.
Highly Reccomended.

Were you testing with just the soundbar, or other speakers for sats?
post #21 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 AM

I did testing with just the soundbar and a sub, and also with the surrounds. In a room with sidewalls at 17' the soundbar with just the sub did give surround effects but not as convincing as the dedicated surrounds. The movies are completely engaging nevertheless.

Pre/PRO: Marantz AV7701
Amplifier: Sherbourn 7x350
TV: Tivo Romio Plus
PROJECTOR: Sony VPL-HW50ES
Screen: A/T Dragonfly™ 120 in. AcoustiWeave
Bluray: Oppo BDP93
LRC Speakers: Episode ES-HT950-IW-7 x3
Surround Speakers: ES-HT700-IWLCR-6 x4
Subwoofers: HSU VT-15H x2
Acoustic Panels: Acoustimac DMD
post #22 of 25 Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi,

Here is a detailed review of the GE Sound Bar by AVForums UK - hope it helps!

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/GoldenEar-SuperCinema-3D-Array-Soundbar-Review_486/Review.html

Bazzy!
post #23 of 25 Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM

After looking over the reviews and finalizing measurements, I ended up going with the GE 3D array. I was replacing a pair of Energy RC Minis in a basic 2.0 setup. Initial listening revealed petty good detail and imaging given the size of the array. The bass is less pronounced than the Energy's but the detail and sound stage of the GE is surprising! I'm looking forward to getting a Sub and surround sats hooked up next.

The GE 3D Array under a Sharp 60"

Dedicated 7.1 HT: Visio 47" XVT / Marantz / Sony BD / PSB Infinity
TV Room 2.0 HT: Sharp 60" / Marantz / Sony BD / Energy RC
post #24 of 25 Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty close to picking up a GE soundbar. It'll probably be a 3.1 system for the foreseeable future, due to space limitations. I'd prefer towers and a center, but I just don't have the room for it after I add a component rack next to my TV stand.

Basically looking to add a soundbar setup with as little compromise as possible, and the ability to expand to a 5.1+ in the future.
post #25 of 25 Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM

I brought home the GE SuperCinema soundbar yesterday and spent some time tweaking it in. Then played the last movement of Beethoven’s 9th on a BD in DTS-HD of Christian Thielman conducting the Vienna Philharmonic and chorus.

And played it over and over again, because I was totally present in the concert hall and completely immersed in the music.

The GE soundbar is AWESOME!

Some background: a Yamaha receiver and sub, Boston Acoustics surrounds, and before moving into our current house, Canton Ergo towers. This house has an elongated living room with a fireplace in the middle of the back long wall so what works for a home theater is the TV next to the fireplace, diagonally facing two comfortable seats in a corner of the room. The seats are 6’ from the TV. I subscribe to the rule that TVs are like t shirts and shrink with age, and the largest TV I can fit in this space is a 55” (which is pretty good at 6’ away) and there’s no way to wall-mount it easily so it sits on a TV stand. All this meant the Cantons wouldn’t fit so I turned to soundbars. I tried the Polk 6000 but I missed surround sound, then the Yamaha 2200. The 2200 taught me a good (but expensive) lesson. Its height is compact and fits nicely under a TV but that means its speakers are too small to deliver lower-midrange frequencies. The 2200 soundbar drops off at around 600 Hz and the 2200’s sub picks up at around 130 Hz, so there’s a sonic hole from 130 Hz to 600 Hz. I didn’t mind this hole all that much in movies but I could really hear it when playing music – it is, after all, the lower part of the human voice frequency range. Since for me, music is at least half of the reason for the system, this wasn’t going to work for me. The GE has 4.5” midrange speakers which get down low enough that for my room I found that the crossover for the sub is 100Hz. There’s no hole, the GE is great and I don’t miss the Cantons. (Note that Yamaha fixed this issue with the 3xxx and 4xxx soundbars which have larger mid-range drivers than the 2200.)

One more pleasant surprise is that the GE, while tall for a soundbar, is just short enough to not block the IR remote sensor on my TV. (That’s an issue of concern for stand-mounted TVs and soundbars with decent-sized mid-range speakers.) Also, it’s almost exactly as wide as this 55”-diagonal TV so it looks good but probably wouldn’t look as good below or in front of a smaller TV.

Technical Note: getting the crossover frequency right, between the soundbar (or any LCR speaker set) and a sub, is very room-specific and isn’t so easy to do by ear. I recommend using a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter (you could call it an audio volume meter) to measure the sound volume (they’re not very expensive) and the Audio Test Tones CD from Jackstuff.com. That CD plays audio tones climbing up from 5 HZ to 20 KHz. You can play the tones climbing up from maybe 70 HZ to 175 Hz while holding the SPL meter by your head and watching the readings. This will tell you whether you have a big bump in volume where the sub and soundbar overlap, or a hole where they don’t meet. That will help you dial in the crossover frequency on the sub (or move it away from the back wall if it’s too loud).

Another aid I use for fine-tuning a sound system is an old DVD: the Avia “Guide to Home Theater”. The video tuning part of it is obsolete especially compared to the Disney World of Wonder BD (or the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition if you want to get way down into the details). But the audio tuning part of the Avia DVD has a series of increasingly sophisticated audio tests that (especially with a SPL meter) will help you tweak your sound system very well. Basically, to improve on that would require a HT professional and some changes to the surfaces in your room (for example, to reduce resonances at specific frequencies like I have at 55 Hz and haven’t figured out a good way to reduce).
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Goldenear , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page