Panasonic SC-HTB770 vs. Samsung HW-F550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had pIanned to buy this model soundbar, but a motivated salesman persuaded me to buy the also new, same priced Samsung HW-F550 @ $400.

I liked that it didn't have a "receiver" like the Panasonic, but I am just now realizing the switching limitations, i.e. HDMI vs. optical. I have a HD cable box/DVR and PS3 that are currently plugged into the monitor. I had planned just to run the optical audio from the TV into the soundbar and switch the video source (suggested by the salesman). At best I could run one of those sources through the single HDMI input/output path, but then I'll have to switch b/t the audio source on the soundbar AND the video source on the monitor! That's just with 2 components; it will grow to 3 or more in the near future.

My 2 questions are:

1) Will I sacrificing audio quality, from BD sources for example, by using the TV's optical audio output instead of HDMI. Essentially, is is better to avoid using the TV as a switcher, as optical yields inferior audio output.

2) The Panasonic has 3 HDMI input in its hub and 3.1 by way of it's modular sound, but the Samsung seems like the "beefier" unit with more wattage/size for the subwoofer.

There isn't much in the way of reviews so far, and I have about 10 days left to return the Samsung in favor of the Panasonic. Please give me your counsel A/V wizards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also curious about the same . Although following points may be of interest to you as I am comapring SC-HTB770 and sammy HW-F750 ( identical to F551 but with valve amplifier and sound field claibration)

1. Clearmode dialouge of pansonic is better while watching movies than any 3d sound field virtual fields etc.from samsung
2. Although on papers they have same wattage 310 ( Sammy) vs. 300 Watt ( Pany) the panny should delivery better wattage in real world based on shear number of speakers and 60 watt per channel x 3 channels. Also Panny has more electrical wattage rating ( 37 watt main unit ) 20 watt subwooofer indicating it can deliver more sound but may be with less punch - sammy consumes max 24 watt ( main) and 20 watt ( subwoffer)

Apart from the convinince how is the sound from sammy - Are you happy with punch from sub as well as the sound separation ?

Anil
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Electronics Hw F550 Soundbar , Panasonic Schtb770 S Soundbar With Built In Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page