New Philips Fidelio Soundbar HTL9100 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Do you mean that detached and simulated sound the same? That plus the virtual sound light being on suggest something's askew. But you do get sound from the rears while the virtual light is on? I do suggest calling Philips. Maybe you got a defective one.

What I meant regarding the satellites is that you turn the radiator away from you, either firing up, or to the sides, or to the rear. That will diffuse the sound a bit, but it will also bring down the volume relative to the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would say yes, when they are detached, the rear speakers sound the same as virtual because the virtual light is on. I have tried turning the virtual off when the speakers are disconnected but it won't let me. So I am wondering if that means something like its not receiving the 5.1 signal so it makes you stay on the virtual when the rears are not attached. Or maybe its just always virtual when they are not attached no matter what.

I tried calling Philips but the guy I was talking to had no clue, it seemed like he was reading from a book. I will keep playing around with it this weekend.

post #63 of 75 Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

atx33:

I posted this link earlier, possibly on a different thread. Your TV model doesn't appear on it, but similar Panasonic models listed here do not pass 5.1 to a soundbar:

http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

So I still think you should go from a player directly into the soundbar, particularly if your DVD/BluRay has multiple outputs.
post #64 of 75 Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Liked: 11
If atx33's Panny is anything like my TC-P60ST60, then the only time it will pass 5.1 audio to a soundbar is via OTA broadcasts or the internal apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). The audio part of the HDMI stream from the DVD/Blu-Ray player is dumbed down to stereo when run through the TV.
post #65 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch View Post

If atx33's Panny is anything like my TC-P60ST60, then the only time it will pass 5.1 audio to a soundbar is via OTA broadcasts or the internal apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). The audio part of the HDMI stream from the DVD/Blu-Ray player is dumbed down to stereo when run through the TV.

With regard to BluRay/DVD, I've suggested going directly from the player to the soundbar.

The actual 5.1 from the Fidelio should sound fuller than the simulated surround.

Regarding calling technical support, it's horrible how the electronics industry has dumbed down the level of support. If you pay people nothing, you get nothing.
post #66 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 AM

Cat Scratch, thanks for that information. I thought that I had read that it would pass through HDMI but since your TV is a year newer then mine, it probably doesnt.

It makes since because I watched a few different shows on Netflix and its 5.1 and it sounds good, the only movie I tried on Netflix that wasnt so far was Skyfall, dont know why that is. I did try running Uverse through the sound bar but what was on TV still came out stereo. I will try it again tonight but how do I know what is on TV should be passing through 5.1? Maybe what I had on TV wasnt 5.1?

Thanks again.
post #67 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx33 View Post

Cat Scratch, thanks for that information. I thought that I had read that it would pass through HDMI but since your TV is a year newer then mine, it probably doesnt.

It makes since because I watched a few different shows on Netflix and its 5.1 and it sounds good, the only movie I tried on Netflix that wasnt so far was Skyfall, dont know why that is. I did try running Uverse through the sound bar but what was on TV still came out stereo. I will try it again tonight but how do I know what is on TV should be passing through 5.1? Maybe what I had on TV wasnt 5.1?

Thanks again.

Did you check out the list of TVs which I posted, showing how few TVs pass 5.1 to a soundbar?
post #68 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx33 View Post

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Don't know anything about Uverse but my BigNameCompany cable box has a TOSLink out as well as the HDMI out. HDMI to the TV and the optical to a ViewHD VHD-SM4X2 switch. Also going to the switch is the TOSLink out from the Blu-Ray player (HDMI to TV) as well as a return back to the switch from the TV (for when I use the built in apps). Then from the switch to a Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system. Think octopus.

Where I live, we don't have OTA signals, too far away and blocked by mountains. It's a sea of satellite dishes in my town.

When playing a program/movie that I know has 5.1 audio from the cable box and played through the TV, I get stereo. Switching the switch I get 5.1 and when any 5.1 Netflix (only one we do here) show plays, I get the 5.1, switching back.
post #69 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM

taichi yes, thanks I checked it out. Not many TV's that passthrough 5.1.

cat scratch, one thing I just thought of and I need to look into is this TV is above the fire place and there are 2 huge windows on both sides. The only way to get cable up there was to do the Uverse wireless DVR box. Im wondering if that will passthrough 5.1, something I need to look into. Later tonight I am going to hook verse up directly to the sound bar again and just flip through channels to see. I wish I had space to put a AVR and set up at least a 3.0 system, but every AVR I have looked at is to freaking big. 

post #70 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Does your DVR have Dolby Digital or Bitstream output? I believe that's what you need.
post #71 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Well I set it up again Uverse Box -> HDMI Soundbar -> HDMI ARC Soundbar -> HDMI TV and its still not picking up 5.1. I checked out about 6-7 shows for 5 minutes or so and they were all in stereo. Then I went back to checkout Netflix from my TV and most shows are playing in 5.1. So its either the Uverse box or the HDMI cable probably, so I ordered a high speed 1.4 HDMI and should get it tomorrow. I will reach out to ATT about my DVR box to see if that could be it also, I only have the regular out options like HDMI, optical and stuff, no DD output.

post #72 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Well good news, I figured it out. There is a setting thru the Uverse box for Audio output to switch it from Stereo to Surround. Getting 5.1 now for cable, so I am happy about that.

Couple other questions for people that may know. Shouldn't the sound bar turn on and off when I turn the TV on and off, since I connected the soundbar and TV thru ARC? Even if the sound bar and TV are both on and I hit the TV power button, the TV turns off but the sound bar stays on playing the sound front he show. How can I fix this?

Also, when I hit the internet button on my TV remote to go to Netflix, the sound on the bar switches to HDMI ARC automatically so sound plays. But when I go from the Smart internet Netflix area to Cable the soundbar doesn't switch automatically to HDMI 2 to play sound, I have to use the sound bar remote to switch it, which I know may confuse my wife. So any suggestions on how to correct that?

Thanks again! Im getting there and I am much happier with the sound when its 5.1.

post #73 of 75 Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're getting a fuller sound now with the speakers detached?

Hopefully, when you get it all settled in, you'll be able to to give an opinion about the size of the front soundstage from the bar with its diminished length, and the clarity of dialogue.

Good for you.
post #74 of 75 Old 05-04-2014, 03:02 PM

Yes I am getting fuller sound now and it is defiantly running 5.1. Sometimes it sounds really solid and other times it sounds narrow and weak. One minute there is also really nice base and then it just disappears. The volume seems to fluctuate also when I have the speakers pulled, so I am always adjusting the volume it seems. I am wondering if its the sound bar because if it was my TV connection, it would do the same when the sides were attached.

The sound bar has also switched inputs randomly a few times, in the middle of watching something, so of course I have to switch back. Also, when I switch inputs not he TV, the sound bar switches automatically sometimes and other times it doesn't.

Another issue I am having is syncing bluetooth. I was able to sync the first couple days but haven't been able to this weekend. I will probably call customer support tomorrow.

I have 90 days to return, so I will probably hang on to it for a while but I am not completely satisfied. Pulling the speakers off was cool at first but I can see how after a while I may just say screw it and just leave them attached. I am thinking I will checkout the Vizio 5451 when it comes out to compare. It will fit my 60in perfectly and I bet the front sound bar will just sound better and wider but we will see. Hopefully it comes out soon.

post #75 of 75 Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM

to dannyhoda:

I have the same experience as you. Bought the set on Saturday, and after the first listening - iTunes from iPad over Bluetooth, late in the night - with undetached surround speakers - first impression was quite ok. But later on, Monday afternoon, I have put the system under heavy testing with various music sources /satellite TV, DTS files via microHDMI from ultrabook, DolbyDigital 5.1 movie files out of USB thru smartTV/ and was very disapppointed. Lack of mids - "virtual" centre speaker simply doesnt work, voices from the centre are "missing", lost in space somewhere even when satellites are detached.

Rear speakers are unpleasantly dominant, even after moving those quite far behind the "sweet spot" - you would have to be sitting as close as 50cm-100cm from the soundbar to start hearing the soundbar as "front" speaker - while rear speakers good 4-5m behind you. Tried switching all possible inputs, settings of the TV with switched off internal speakers of TV with signal passing just to HDMI ARC, moving rear speakers as far in my room as possible, switching thru inputs on the soundbar trying to "activate" autocalibration of the unit (if there s any), but no success.

If you are happy with listening just to stereo sound of your iTunes collection from complete soundbar /unattached satellites/, then you might be satisfied. Unlike me /and possibly other people, who bought this set just because of its capability of having optional wireless surround sound for ocassional movie watching.

Yesterday I returned the set to my local dealer.

I will give a try to Philips Fidelio E5 as they seem more versatile, even though after the first listening in a local electronic shop the treble are bit "soft" for my ear and bass was too heavy, but litening environment was not good /kindda semi-open wooden booth in a very busy large store../...

will let u know as it played in home setting....

cheers,

J.S.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Philips Htl7180 F7 Fidelio Soundbar Home Theater Pair Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page