Sonos vs Bose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide between the Sonos playbar and Bose soundbar. Both are closely priced (Sonos playbarr 699 plus sub 699), pairing this with my 60" ST60 Panasonic, big empty living room that opens up into the kitchen. I know it's not the ideal room for soundbar but I like the clean simple look and mounting to the wall will keep my son from tearing up any standing speakers. I have heard the Bose in person at the store and I am very impressed but no one locally has the Sonos to listen too. Was trying to get opinions on which will sound the best (watching movies and very little music). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM

check out the definitive technology solocinema xtr very nice unit, its what I ended up buying, sounds nice and has hdmi inputs to really use Dolby digital and dts, we're the other units use only optical... when I compared the these units def. tech > sonos> than Bose
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM

At $2K The def tech is quite expensive.

I have this feeling that a soundbar should be cheaper than a surround sound amp plus speakers by definition!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

good point, i also feel that my sound system shouldnt be worth more then the tv, is this true? the st60 was only 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post

At $2K The def tech is quite expensive.

I have this feeling that a soundbar should be cheaper than a surround sound amp plus speakers by definition!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

to get back to your question I have the sonos play bar I bought this as a proof of concept. I am planning on using the system as part of whole house audio and wanted to see how it worked and sounded for a bedroom that could double as music. I was very pleasantly surprised. I am in a rental now as house under construction and am using the playbar with a 50" plasma for tv as well as music. Its in a word great. I can only imagine how good it will be when I add a sub. The abilty to "stream" high quality music is a real plus. This added feature makes it a winner in my mind.
P
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Compare it to a real sound system to hear what else you can buy for that money. You can get Airplay technology on pretty much anything now, you don't have to limit yourself to a small speaker, which will never sound as good as a real system. The best soundbar out there is Yamaha, and even that falls short. I has the Yamaha, and I heard the others. If you need small speakers, have a look at Deftech ProCinema series with a Yamaha 475 amp. The nice thing about components is you can change the receiver when technology gets outdated, such as when HDMI 2.0 comes out.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post

good point, i also feel that my sound system shouldnt be worth more then the tv, is this true? the st60 was only 1500

You can never compare them that way. I's not even like comparing apples vs oranges but it's like comparing apples vs cars.

$1,500 can't buy you a decent set of speakers and sub, and that does not even include a receiver which an acceptable ones cost around $1,200.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #8 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post

Trying to decide between the Sonos playbar and Bose soundbar. Both are closely priced (Sonos playbarr 699 plus sub 699), pairing this with my 60" ST60 Panasonic, big empty living room that opens up into the kitchen. I know it's not the ideal room for soundbar but I like the clean simple look and mounting to the wall will keep my son from tearing up any standing speakers. I have heard the Bose in person at the store and I am very impressed but no one locally has the Sonos to listen too. Was trying to get opinions on which will sound the best (watching movies and very little music). Thanks

Between the two, Sonos sounds much better. Neither, however, will sound good enough for anything more than casual TV viewing and definitely for satisfying movie watching.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page