Soundbar AND receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung 55" LED TV connected to a Samsung Soundbar that works just fine.

I also just got a new Sony Receiver connected in a 5.1 arrangement that works as both my audo receiver for music and a Home Theater setup.

The question is - is there an easy way to have BOTH the Soundbar and the Receiver connected to the TV so I can use either one (not both). For example, when watching the news or when I need to keep the volume down, I don't need full 5.1 sound. However, when watching a movie, I want more than the Soundbar and want to use the receiver.

Currently, when I turn the TV on, the soundbar automatically turns on. If I also turn on the receiver, there is a terrible "echo" in the sound because of a delay, so using them together doesn't really work.

Does anyone have BOTH a soundbar and a receiver and found an easy way to connect them to the TV, so you can easily choose which one to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You didn't specify what your source devices are or how you watch TV (antenna or cable STB). You can probably connect both AVR and soundbar, as long as you dedicate the soundbar to TV only and the AVR to movies only (plus anything else you connect to the AVR).

If you don't already have one, get yourself a Harmony remote because you don't want to use CEC and/or ARC functions. Here's examples of how this could work. For movies, connect your BD player to the AVR and the AVR to the TV via HDMI. You would program the remote to turn on TV & switch to appropriate HDMI input, turn on AVR and switch to appropriate input, turn on BD player. Do not turn on soundbar.

For TV connect optical out from TV to soundbar. Program remote to turn on TV & switch to appropriate HDMI input or antenna, turn on soundbar and switch input to D.IN, turn on cable box if you use one. Do not turn on AVR.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page