Need help in Hooking up a Sony HX 850, YSP 3300, PS3 and cable box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to this forum and not a very techie guy, I have a Sony HX 850 and a PS3. The TV is hooked up to the PS3 and the Cable box using a HDMI cable, my YSP 3300 is scheduled to arrive today. Can you please help me in establishing the connections for optimum use of the sound bar. Appreciate your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
You will usually get the best audio by connecting your source devices via HDMI to the soundbar, then connecting the soundbar HDMI-out to your TV HDMI(ARC) port. The soundbar becomes your HDMI switch. This is because most HDTVs do not pass 5.1 audio out from devices connected to them; however, some Sony TVs do pass 5.1. If that is the case with your TV, you could leave the source devices connected to it and simply use the ARC connection to the soundbar. Be sure to use high speed HDMI cable for the ARC connection.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi....

Thank you very much for your response, is it preferred to use ARC for connecting to the sound bar or should I use the optical cable. Please advice...
post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Same audio either way so if you prefer using optical that would be fine.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52

Installing systems I would avoid using ARC.  Either run the HDMI cables to the sound bar and then one HDMI cable to the TV.  You could also run the HDMI cables to the TV and optical or digital coax to the sound bar but this is probably more complicated and unnecessary.  Besides that you might only get 2 channel audio using ARC, ARC also has to enable CEC to work which causes all types of problems especially if you use a universal remote to simplify your system.  Even with smart TVs we do not enable ARC and run a separate cable back to the receiver or sound bar to use the audio of the Smart TV functions or the internal tuner.  I wouldn't recommend using it.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
PossumGirl and BobL

I respect both your opinions greatly but could both of you please expose the pros and cons of using the connection of the soundbar out to the HDMI ARC IN connection. I have the ARC IN on my Panasonic 60GT50 and I thought that feature was a benefit. Upon hearing the discussion on this thread I am now unsure of the benefit.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and help.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 15
I would connect everything to the TV via HDMI, and the TV to the soundbar via optical.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hidef1099,

ARC is meant to be a convenience feature if you need to send audio OUT from a TV (smart apps, etc.). ARC works very well on Panny TVs, so it is your choice if you wish to use it instead of optical. For any audio going out from the TV, you will get the SAME audio whether it is via ARC or via an optical cable. So I don't agree with BobL on that point. However, he makes a valid point if you're using a universal remote because CEC must be enabled in order to use ARC. That can cause command conflicts between the remote and what CEC wants to do.

I do not know what source devices you have but I would NOT recommend connecting them to the TV instead of to the soundbar. Unless you don't want 5.1 audio. eek.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Hidef1099,

ARC is meant to be a convenience feature if you need to send audio OUT from a TV (smart apps, etc.). ARC works very well on Panny TVs, so it is your choice if you wish to use it instead of optical. For any audio going out from the TV, you will get the SAME audio whether it is via ARC or via an optical cable. So I don't agree with BobL on that point. However, he makes a valid point if you're using a universal remote because CEC must be enabled in order to use ARC. That can cause command conflicts between the remote and what CEC wants to do.

I do not know what source devices you have but I would NOT recommend connecting them to the TV instead of to the soundbar. Unless you don't want 5.1 audio. eek.gif

I have a new Panny blu ray, cable box, and an XBox 360 connected to my new Sony HTC660 soundbar. It is a clean installation for a small room.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52

Let me explain a little about HDMI as I am very experienced in this arena.  The source (i.e. cable box, DVD, etc.) is the queen of the system and controls the whole system.  Every component has to authenticate with the source and the final destination is the display and where most communication takes place.  So in a typical setup say a cable box and TV.  The cable box asks the TV its capabilities.  The TV responds I can handle these resolutions up to 1080P, I can do 3D but I am only a stereo device and not have a 5.1 or 7.1 decoder.  So the source then only sends stereo to the device.

So then if you connect something to the TV after the connection between the source and the display either through ARC, optical or digital coax you will only get stereo sound to that device.  Many of the smart TVs will send 5.1 from their internal tuner or smart apps but not from external devices.  ARC can only do 5.1 not that it matters for most sound bars.  ARC also does not do lossless, its PCM is 2 channel only.  So if you want 7.1 or lossless sound ARC is not your method. It is a convenience feature.  Many of the Samsung TVs only accept a stereo signal.  Most of Panasonic Plasma accept 5.1 but not all their LCDs.  It is difficult to find this information on TVs unless you have a measuring device to tell you what the TV is reporting back to the source.

Ok now let's examine if we put something between the source and the display.  This is called a repeater in the HDMI world but it is typically an AV receiver or soundbar with HDMI inputs.  The repeater has to identify itself to the source and tell it that it is not only a repeater but can accept audio information.  Most of these devices can accept all the audio formats lossy and lossless in some form or another.  HDMI 1.0 has lossless 8 channel (7.1) PCM, so all versions of HDMI can accept lossless sound.  Not all can decode True HD or DTS Master but the player can always do that.  It doesn't matter where it gets converted to PCM like it did with the lossy formats.

The last reason I don't recommend ARC is it has to enable CEC (consumer Electronic Control) for the devices. Otherwise ARC does not work.  This is the part of HDMI that says if someone turns on the Blu-Ray player let me switch the TV and Audio component to the appropriate input.  Well, the reality is there is no set of standards for this and each manufacturer uses these codes differently and it wreaks all types of Havoc.  I've even seen incompatibilities amongst the same brand.  Sometimes it won't let you leave a certain input until you turn a device off, other times it doesn't go to the right input.  Or when you turn of the device you are using it doesn't go to the other active input.  If anyone uses a universal remote like a Harmony, URC, RTI, etc.  This feature can cause all types of problems.  It is like having a dual with remotes you vs the system. 

If you don't have a universal remote and don't mind multiple remotes on the table, CEC can be a useful feature as long as you know how to get the system back to where you want it.  It will keep other members of your family looking to use other TVs in your home you can use the better systembiggrin.gif

Anyway this is the reason I don't recommend ARC as a rule of thumb.  If it is the only way to connect it that is fine, it is a convenience feature just for these applications.  But, it was never designed to be the best way to connect the components.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Ysp 3300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page