soundbar for the bedroom cant decide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 65VT50 in the bedroom that I sit about 10 feet back. I want to get a sound bar to upgrade over my tv speakers but I don't need a true 2.1/3.1/5.1 for the bedroom. I will be connecting a Sony s790 bluray player and a Directv DVR. I have a 7.1 in the theater room when I really need the power so I don't need something that will be my MAIN sound producer for the house.

the two I have been looking at are the sharp SB60 and the Sony CT660. For the SB60 I like the idea of having a larger sound bar to fit my 65" tv so it gives it a wider stage and matches more to what im watching. reviews seem good for the SB60

The reason I am thinking about the Sony is my brother has a couple Sony sound bars and seems to like them and from what I have heard from them they sound good. but it is much shorter and I feel that would restrict the sound stage and not work as well with a much wider TV.

and it looks like the Sony has 20W then the sharp, but I don't know how much difference if any that would make.

Wondering what you guys think about what I can expect from each one in sound quality and if im right in my thinking about the added benefit of the wider Sharp sound bar to match the wider stage of my TV

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53

I know you said you not looking for a traditional 2.1 etc. system but what about powered 2.0 or 2.1 systems.  You will get your speakers further apart for better soundstage, get better quality sound than what's in either of the systems and doesn't need a traditional receiver/amplifier to use.  There CT systems are one example.

http://paradigm.com/shift/systems/index.php

post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I honestly don't like the way that the sharp soundbar sounds. It almost sounds hollow and doesn't put out enough bass. I would say if your looking to spend around $400 for a soundbar, check out the Samsung F550, or the Energy Power Bar. Both are priced right at $350-$400 and give great sound for the money. I know you don't need the best for the bedroom, but you should at least like the way it sounds for that kind of money.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
@ BobL.. those do look nice, but I dont know if i would want to deal with idea of more wires. I like the idea of just an HDMI from my Sat box and a HDMI cable from my S790 into the sound bar. But I didn' think about powered speakers so I will look into more.

@Mlupia92... that is good to know. What did you think about the width of the sound bar in terms of sound placement? I mean the only reason I am really looking at the Sharp was because of its wider size. I feel that it would line up nicely to my TV so the sound wouldn't be as centered as a smaller sound bar. Just the idea of a wider sound stage keeps sticking in my Mind. Wether I am right in thinking this or not I cant say, I could be way off in my thinking. Did you feel the Sound bar didnt put out enough bass, or the subwoofer itself? I don't need anything crazy for bass and this will be a bedroom, but its good to know that to you it does sound watered down. I will look into the samsung and Energy sound bars.

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Before this purchase turns out to be a much longer process than it needs to be, I would try to go to a store that has the Sharp soundbar on display (if you haven't already). I would also buy it from a seller with a solid return policy. That way, you minimize the risk.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 53

With the models I referenced you can use your digital audio output from your TV for the speakers and your TV would do the HDMI switching.  Other powered speakers might not be as flexible as some only accept an analog audio input.  Some TVs have analog outputs but I don't think your does.  I don't remember though, it could which would give more options for powered speakers.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

@ BobL.. those do look nice, but I dont know if i would want to deal with idea of more wires. I like the idea of just an HDMI from my Sat box and a HDMI cable from my S790 into the sound bar. But I didn' think about powered speakers so I will look into more.

@Mlupia92... that is good to know. What did you think about the width of the sound bar in terms of sound placement? I mean the only reason I am really looking at the Sharp was because of its wider size. I feel that it would line up nicely to my TV so the sound wouldn't be as centered as a smaller sound bar. Just the idea of a wider sound stage keeps sticking in my Mind. Wether I am right in thinking this or not I cant say, I could be way off in my thinking. Did you feel the Sound bar didnt put out enough bass, or the subwoofer itself? I don't need anything crazy for bass and this will be a bedroom, but its good to know that to you it does sound watered down. I will look into the samsung and Energy sound bars.
Its definitely a much wider soundbar than most, but the speaker placement almost seems to spread out to me, that's why to me it sounds somewhat hollow. Also the sub is what doesn't put out a lot of bass. Its almost like when you listen to the soundbar with the sub and then without it sounds nearly the same.

Still if you want, all bestbuy stores should have the sharp soundbar on display. The one I work at just got put up about a week ago, so if you want to hear it, just ask for a demo.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer , Sharp Ht Sb60 High Powered Soundbar System For 60 Inch Larger Tvs With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page