Connecting my sound bar to my receiver, possible?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys Im about to move so I have to get rid of my surround sound. I still want to keep my receiver a Pioneer VSX-1020. I also bought a Samsung HW-E450 sound bar which I was going to put in my bedroom but now Im wondering if I can add it to my man cave along with my receiver. The TV I will have is a Vizio E701i-A3 70 inch.
I have a PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, cable box all connected to the receiver. Can I get the sound bar to work with all my devices? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It might work. You'd connect the HDMI out from the AVR to the HDMI input on the soundbar, then connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI. You'll need to change the audio HDMI setting on the Pioneer (pg. 67) to "through". I'm not sure if that's a universal setting or if you have to change it for each input, but apparently it sends audio out to the TV (in this case the soundbar) rather than to speakers..
CurtisEnis likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I'll try it out as soon I the samsung gets here, hope it works.smile.gif
post #4 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Don't mean to hijack this but I have the similar question about connecting a soundbar (TBD) to a receiver (Yamaha RX-V375) I do have a projector though (Optoma HD20).

So, the setup I am wanting is to connect my Xbox 360, PC, and Cable box to the receiver. Is it possible to connect a soundbar to work with everything? I am a total beginner when it comes to soundbars as I don't even know what types of connectors they usually use.

Thank You
post #5 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Your situation is different than the OP's since you haven't purchased a soundbar. Why are you thinking about a soundbar rather than discrete speakers? Are you not interested in 5.1 surround? Do you already have a sub? If it's a space issue for the front soundstage you may want to look into passive soundbars. They combine L/C/R into one enclosure but connect to your receiver just like discrete speakers.
Rapture 117 likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. You are spot on it is a space issue not being able to get a full L/C/R setup which is why I was thinking a soundbar. No, I do not have a sub is that required for a passive soundbar? Not really a price issue at this point for anything just trying to get a handle on how it can all fit together.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

No a sub isn't required, they can work like a 3.0 configuration. Just like with separate, smaller speakers though, a sub gives you those nice lows. smile.gif
CurtisEnis likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Did xxronniexx ever resolve his setup issues?  I want to know if Possumgirl's good advice worked because I anticipate running into the same issues with connecting the Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar to the Pioneer VSX-822k AVR.  Let me know if anyone can confirm whether the suggestion of connecting the AVR to the soundbar via HDMI and then connecting the soundbar to the tv via HDMI and then changing the audio HDMI setting on the AVR to "through" worked successfully.

Thank you,

Curtis

post #9 of 17 Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM

FYI, Possumgirl's recommendation for changing the audio setting to HDMI Through worked.  Thanks for the help.

I am still, however, having issues listening to the internet radio through my soundbar.  Is there any reason the "through" setting wouldn't work for internet radio?

Thanks,

Curtis

post #10 of 17 Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Liked: 0
I'm trying to connect a samsung hw-h7500/za sound bar to a pioneer vsx -1024-k receiver. Is this possible? I have run out of ideas on how this would work.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM

I have a vizio s4251w and a yamaha RX-V477. The TV is a Sharp LC-52D64U which is 6 years old.

My Google Nexus player will not output sound to the vizio soundbar. (An Intel NUC seems to work just fine though) Is there a way to have the optical cable run from the TV to the receiver, and then output from the receiver to the sound bar? Looks like the sound bar could take digital coaxial, or RCA.

If I got an Xbox One, would I have the same issue?

Is my TV just too old?
post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewton3828 View Post
I'm trying to connect a samsung hw-h7500/za sound bar to a pioneer vsx -1024-k receiver. Is this possible? I have run out of ideas on how this would work.
Let me know if this works out for you. The Onkyo TX-NR636 is on-sale here so was thinking of grabbing it but won't be able to get speakers for a few months but I have the same soundbar.

Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Samsung UN55F6300AF/Xbox 360
post #13 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a similar question.

I got for fathers day a VIZIO SB4051-C0 but I already have a Onkyo TX-NR616 connected to my Vizio 70_E701iA3. The sound coming out of the soundbar sounds so much better thank my current speaker setup. Also I can't truly run my surround sound speakers on the Onkyo where they should be with out wires being exposed (Spousal Approval). With this Vizo Soundbar the sub and surround speakers are bluetooth which gives me the option to move them anywhere.

My dilemma is I don't want to get ride of the receiver because it has my outside speakers connected to it and it has all the hdmi inputs I need (my tv doesn't have enough) Plus I will loose Terrestrial AM Radio which I use to listen to the NFL. Plus if I return this more than generous Fathers Day present it wont go over all that well. Is there a way I can hook up this Soundbar to the Receiver? What are my pros and cons?

VIZIO SB4051-C0 = SoundBar
Vizio 70_E701iA3 = TV
Onkyo TX-NR616 = Receiver
post #14 of 17 Old 07-01-2015, 01:40 PM

I understand there are other pros and cons, but you could get an auto hdmi switch? That might remove one of the problems for you.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The easiest way to connect a receiver to a soundbar:

If the soundbar has any type of analog input

Take one of the tape loop outputs and run an RCA cable from Tape-Out on the receiver to analog in on the soundbar.

You then have the full functionality of the receiver attached to the soundbar.

If your soundbar has a mini-phone jack instead of RCA jacks, go to Lowes and buy an adapter.

David Freeman
post #16 of 17 Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All, I just wanted to give you an update to my dilemma with connecting a soundbar to a receiver. I was able to get it to work and it wasn't bad at all. It took me longer to take down my old speaker mess and wire then it did to hook up the soundbar to the receiver with the 2 satellite speakers and sub. This is what I did.
I bought the Vizio SB4051-C0 5.1 soundbar $279 @ costco. I bought this one because it had a hdmi in and out, 2 inches bigger than the one my wife bought me and the sub had better specs. It was only 30 buck more. The HDMI in and out Made this all work like a charm.

PreReq: Your HDMI cables need to be ARC compatible.

1. Connected TV HDMI port 1 ARC to Soundbar HDMI out ARC.
2. On my Vizio TV go to : Menu-Digital Audio Settings - to Dolby Digital
3. On Vizio tv got to : System Menu- enable CEC and ARC SAC function.
4. On Vizio TV - On CEC menu select Discover Devices. It should find your soundbar.

At this point if you turn on your tv with out receiver it should all work

5. On Onkyo Receiver route you HDMI OUT MAIN ARC cable to the Vizio Soundbar HDMI IN.
6. On the Onkyo Receiver if you don't have ARC set already go to the following menu to turn it on. Navigating the receiver is more difficult the tv and soundbar
a. Hardware setup - HDMI Control(RIHD) turn this to ON
b. In the same Screen select ARC.

You should be done now and Ready to watch TV with the soundbar. You should be able to use your receiver to switch devices and play through your soundbar. With this setup I was able to keep my Outside Speakers connected the receiver and have them powered. I keep AM radio for NFL football,my Net Raido and I have a HDMI switcher in the receiver. I know I kind of made my Receiver into a expensive HDMI switcher but the sound is 100x better coming out of the soundbar and the spousal approval is off the chart. All the wires running everywhere and all visible speakers don't look messy. Now we have one long bar that looks nice and not messy. You can't see the wires attaching to the soundbar like you could with the old setup. Then we have to satalite speakers placed exactly behind us where they should be, unlike my old setup. This part my wife loves we can Hide the sub woofer and put it behind us because it is bluetooth connected and sounds way better than my old one. The Surround speakers connect to the sub that is why we can move them else where. Looking back at this the Receiver has a ton of great features but is a pain to configure and use and half the time I spend 30 min trying to get thing to work if I haven't used a feature in a while. I think the receiver in my case was over kill for what I need it for although it still has a place.
I hope this helps anyone looking to do this.
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 05:50 AM

so you have all devices (cable, dvd, game console, etc.) connected to the receiver with exterior speakers coming out of the receiver, the ARC HDMI from receiver to sound bar HDMI input and the soundbar ARC to the TV ARC? This allows you to utilize the soundbar and exterior speakers at the same time or just the soundbar by turning off the exterior speakers?
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1020 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com