Sound cutting out on Samsung HW-F450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, first time poster. Finally retired my 1999 Sony projection TV and replaced it with a Samsung PN60F8500. Wow have I been missing out all these years. Anyway, it came with the HW-F450 2.1 soundbar. Okay sound wise but will be replaced with my Snell speakers once I update my receiver to this something made this decade.

I have had the unit for about 5 days now and today my wife told me that during the day the sound cut out a few times throughout the day for several minutes at a time. Typically when my wife tells me these sorts of things I wonder what she did however in the past hour the sound cut out on me also. This is occurring watching regular TV channels via a Cable Box (comcast).

Right now I have a very basic setup. TV, Cable Box and Blu-ray player all connected via HDMI 1.4 cables. I have the HDMI from my Blu-ray going into the soundbar HDMI In. From the HDMI Out of on the soundbar to the HDMI (arc) on the TV. My Cable Box is connected to the HDMI (stb) connection. All seems to be working correctly, power on / off, etc. and until today no issue. When the sound cut out on me the first time I tried to increase the volume but this had no effect. The second time, in about 10 minutes, the sound cut out I turned off the soundbar and immediately heard sound from the TV. When I turned the soundbar back on there was sound again. I was unable to find anything on-line about this model cutting out, just a few mentions of this problem on past models and one post about this model but nothing specific.

Has anyone experienced this issue and or know of a possible cause / resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am not having much luck figuring this one out. I sent an email off to Samsung support with no response yet. I have tried to narrow down what components may be causing the issue and have ruled out a few things. First when watching anything from the blu-ray player the sound never cuts out. Also when watching broadcast TV using the TV’s speakers the sound never cuts out. So basically blu-ray to sound bar and cable box to TV work without issues. This leaves the TV HDMI arc connection to the sound bar as the possible issue.

I am only guessing here, mind you I have limited knowledge of how all this stuff works, but the cable box sends the video / audio to the TV via the HDMI stb input. The TV then has to send the audio signal out to the sound bar via the HDMI arc port. Since the issue of the sound cutting out only appears to be happening in this case I am guessing the issue is with the TV or the arc port. Other than the anynet+ on / off option I don’t see anything else for how to configure this. Since its a new TV I am hoping its not the TV.

I really don’t think it’s a problem with the sound bar itself however I am considering returning it for a new one just to see if this does anything as I am out of ideas. Would anyone have other suggestions on how to resolve this or how to further trouble shoot the root of the problem?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
As a further troubleshooting step, try connecting an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar and try that instead of using ARC. You could also try replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the soundbar. Be sure you're using one rated high-speed.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion on the optical cable. At first I thought the sound bar only had HDMI connections but I finally found the other connections off to the side a bit. I’ll give the optical cable a try this evening to see if there is any difference.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 PM

any updates?

post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, my bad. I usually like to close out threads I start but forgot this one. I actually opened a second thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482688/samsung-pnf8500-sound-cutting-out related to this. It looks like the sound bar was the issue. Even after trying 2 brand new sound bars. I ended up replacing the sound bar with a RX-A2030 receiver and hooking up my surround system and have not had any issue since.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 12
I noticed that my sound bar has intermittent drops in audio

sig
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 12
I notice mine drops a bunch of times watching Netflix on my f6300. I'm only connected via hdmi arc. Auto volume is off. I don't know what could be happening.

sig
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw F450 2 1 Channel 280 Watt Soundbar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page